Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Faster nailed it.

Oten coming home from a weekend away , as per usual I'll misjudge it so the evening breeze is dying fast. We've spent hours covering the last couple of miles to home , drifting really with barely enough speed to give us steerage yet as happy as a couple of wombats can be. No hurry, why motor ?

On the other hand leaving Sydney in a dead calm early morning you get the most apalling swell in and around the heads. Like the earlier mentioned sailing instructor I too "hate to wucking fallow". That sucks. So do passing stink boats with their wash.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hi,

If I use the motor or not depends on why I'm sailing. If I'm out for a day sail, with no particular destination, I will sail as long as I can maintain steerage.

I'm trying to get somewhere, then it depends on how long the trip will take at the current speed. I use 5 kts for planning purposes. If it's going to take me a real long time, I will motor sail to make 5 kts.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2008

snider is on a distinguished road
Motor???

On my small weekender I don't have a choice. Monday I was out in the harbor and had to throw the anchor out to keep from sailing backwards. I was making about a knot and a half through the water but the current was ripping at 3 knots. This is only the second time I've had to do this in the last year, and I sail year round, and the first time I couldn't get where I wanted to anchor for the night. I ended up ghosting into an easier anchorage. There is usually enough wind to get me where I'm going. My favorite part is sailing in close quarters and up to the dock. I don't mind having a motor, but personally I like the experience better without. Some of my most favorite times would never happen because I would be motoring. It's like walking vrs riding while playing golf, its a game changer. Brandon
Old 10-04-2008
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
There's definitely a challenge when you don't have a motor. Makes you realize what kick-a$$ sailor those old guys were that sailed 100-gun ships like the Victory, or Old Ironsides from place to place only under sail.

What are you using down there in Charleston?
Old 10-04-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I bought a sailboat to sail. However, my newer boat is 15 tons of steel barge, frankly. I also have strong opinions on the proper use of diesel engines (once on, they should stay on, until warmed through). Consequently, in the circa 10 knot breezes we have in the summer, I've found that instead of doing 4 knots under sail, I will motorsail and do 5.5 with the engine at 1600 RPM or so. An hour of that and I feel I'm not hurting anything, the fuel cost is four bucks, the sails ARE contributing, and I can play the stereo and open the fridge as much as I like.

The older boat is very Spartan (very little electrical), much lighter and does 5.5 knots in 10 knots of wind without much trimming, so I use the gas motor only leaving and returning. That boat has rewards at 2.5 knots the larger boat (which puts me farther off the water) does not. On the other hand, the larger boat does 7 knots with staysail only in 30 knots of wind, so it all works out!
Old 10-04-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I bought a sailboat to sail
qft. what he said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I was wondering how slow was too slow before you resort to non-wind propulsion.

On FarCry that SOG lower limit is usually 3 knots. It depends on location, weather, sea state, time of day, distance from destination and frequently the most important factor...the body language from the admiral.
You essentially answered your own question.. except you left out the most important factors: how much fuel in the tank; how much Rum on board (and Ice and coke of course) and how many (most important) cigarettes on board.

Even the Admiral bows to the cigarette count.
Old 10-05-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
You essentially answered your own question.. except you left out the most important factors: how much fuel in the tank; how much Rum on board (and Ice and coke of course) and how many (most important) cigarettes on board.

Even the Admiral bows to the cigarette count.
There is always plenty of rum on board, we conisder that as part of our life safety gear. The ice and mixer are nice but not required.

Wallowing does suck. My tolerance for some of it is higher than the admiral's but that is usually what gets the Japanese sail deployed more often than anything else. Unless my neighbor is siphoning the fuel out of my tank there is always enough fuel for our trips. The old QM15 is reasonably efficient.

Fortunately neither of us were bitten by the nicotine bug.

Last edited by FarCry; 10-05-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Got stuck in no wind at around 3am for 2 hours. Passed the same buoy 3 times, no steerage. Many others dropped out of the race, I said they'd have to cancel the race before I quit. Motors are really nice for docking, and bigger boats that are heavy, but I use mine as little as possible.

Light wind sailing seems to be the most challenging.
Old 10-05-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
If I'm dumb enough or unfortunate enough to have got myself a deadline to be somewhere I'll start the motor. Otherwise I'll break out the fishing gear or snorkeling gear if shallow enough rather than motor somewhere just because I wasn't moving.

I'm on my sailboat. That's ALREADY where I want to be so what's the hurry?
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau