Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Hell Gate at flood?

I'm going through Hell Gate (from the Hudson) on Tuesday for the first time. My plan is to pick up the beginning of the flood at the base of the East River, just north of Governor's Island, at around 10:15ish or so, and then to ride it all the way through. Also, I wasn't planning on calling VTS. Any comments? Thanks!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Ladatt, you want to time it so you are at the Battery a hour or 2 after low tide that way the flood will push you though. If you catch it right you can add 3 to 5 knots to your boat speed all most all the way to the Throgs Neck. It is fun to watch your gps register 10+ when the knot meter says 5 or 6.

Last edited by bubb2; 10-05-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
labatt...OOPS...EDIT ....wrong date!
Yeah...low tide at the battery is 8:30 so you and Bubb are in agreement!

Other than that...leave Roosevelt Island to Starboard!
Safe trip & stay warm!!
Old 10-05-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I don't think you need to call VTS. I think it is VHF channel 13 that the commercial traffic monitors and you might want to monitor that during the East River transit as the western channel by Roosevelt Island (that Camaraderie mentioned) is not really that wide when a tug and barges are coming the other way. The eastern channel has low bridges and will take down your mast.
I agree with others on the timing of the currents. I would only add that if you get to the ER too early you will end up fighting some current as I did once (we waited for the current to turn at the Williamsburg Bridge for about an hour), so arriving a little late (say 11 am) you will catch the current (and faster current) that pushes you through amazingly quickly. I do not need to add that you need your motor going most of the way to the Throggs Neck Bridge even if you keep the main up. The only thing that could screw up the currents for you would be a big nor'easter which does not look likely at this point so the tide predictions should be pretty accurate to time your trip.
Will you leave from Liberty Landing Marina on Tues. AM?
Have fun.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Yep.. our current plan is to go to Liberty Landing tomorrow, assuming they have room, and pay our $4/foot for dockage (ick!). After researching various options, and having been to Liberty Landing, we think it's our best choice to stay out of the New York Harbor wake zone. We're going to stay over on Monday night too and spend some time in NYC (in the forecasted rain). Then we'll head through Hell Gate on Tuesday. How far into the sound do you think we can reasonably get by 4ish? Do you think we could make it to Stamford?

I believe we're going to try to hook up with a couple of Sailnetters at Liberty Landing. If anyone wants to come hang out, let me know. I'll post slip info here. We're a Passport 40 - white hull, green canvas, lots of wood.
Old 10-05-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
You will have no problem making to Stamford. If you have the time stop at Tarrytown marina. When you enter you will see the end of the west floater (first) has an empty T on the end, stop by and say hello I am just 3 slips down #72 ask for bubba2. regards mike
Old 10-05-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
You will have no problem making to Stamford. If you have the time stop at Tarrytown marina. When you enter you will see the end of the west floater (first) has an empty T on the end, stop by and say hello I am just 3 slips down #72 ask for bubba2. regards mike
With the pending flood tide and our late departure (9:30ish) we decided to get south as quick as we could. We were hoping to sail some, but found that our stays had not been re-attached in the right spots when we put our mast back up (it helps to check when there are several people working on the boat). We didn't want to change the stays around while under power with all of the huge wakes we had to dodge, so a quick transit south let us get to Liberty Landing in time to do the 30 minutes of work. Perhaps we'll be able to visit on our way back north next year.
Old 10-05-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
too bad im on the other side of the sound...have fun you should make it to stamford takes 4 hours to get to eatons neck which is right across but thts goin like 8 knots dont know what kinda time you can do in your boat but have fun.....i recommend comin over to my side of the sound if you got time its very nice
Old 10-05-2008

Cbeejr is on a distinguished road
Enjoy the East river and take loads of pictures, fair winds Chris and all. CB
Old 10-05-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We did this same trip in July Labatt. We made it to Stamford no sweat. Since you have an extra day at Liberty Marina as we did take the $7 fast ferry from the marina....near the lightship over to NYC and the Wall St District. You are about 4 blocks from the Trade Centers footprint where you land and some neat eateries to boot. The restaurant at Liberty Marina is also a very nice one.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.