SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Missing Sailor Found Off BARNEGAT Inlet (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/47836-missing-sailor-found-off-barnegat-inlet.html)

Freesail99 10-08-2008 02:25 PM

Missing Sailor Found Off BARNEGAT Inlet

Search for missing boater suspended in Barnegat Inlet
Gannett New Jersey • October 7, 2008

BARNEGAT —The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a missing sailer who apparently disappeared from his boat in Barnegat Inlet last night.

The search for Clint Vanorsdell, of Massachusetts, was suspended at 12:19 p.m., according to a statement from the Coast Guard. Members of the state police and local authorities assisted in the search, which began at about 6:10 p.m. Monday when the Coast Guard received a call reported that Vanorsdell's boat, the 40-foot Second Wind, had been found in the inlet with no one aboard.

The caller told authorities Vanorsdell was seen taking down the sails of the Second Wind before entering the inlet. Vanorsdell is believed to have been en route to the Bahamas from Connecticut, said Petty Officer Krystalynn Kneen, a spokeswoman for the Coast Guard.

A rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Barnegat, a rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, a Coast Guard cutter crew from Cape May, members of the New Jersey State Police and local authorities were involved in the search.

Body Of Missing Mass. Sailor Found Off N.J.
BARNEGAT, N.J. (AP) ― The Coast Guard has recovered the body of a Massachusetts man who disappeared from his 40-foot sailboat in Barnegat Inlet off New Jersey.

Clint Vanorsdell of Hanover, Mass. was 64 years old.

He was the focus of a search since Monday night after his boat, Second Wind, was found in the inlet with no one aboard. A caller had told authorities Vanorsdell was seen taking down the vessel's sails.

Another boater found his body about five and a half miles south of the inlet on Tuesday evening.

BARNEGAT — An autopsy on the body of the man who apparently fell off
his sailboat near Barnegat Inlet is planned for Thursday.

The Coast Guard says another boater found Clint Vanorsdell's body about
five and a half miles south of the inlet Tuesday evening.

The 64-year-old Hanover, Mass., resident had disappeared from his 40-
foot sailboat.

Vanorsdell was the focus of a search since Monday night after his boat,
Second Wind, was found in the inlet with no one aboard. A caller had
told authorities Vanorsdell was last seen taking down the sails.

The Coast Guard believes Vanorsdell was sailing to the Bahamas from
Connecticut.

AjariBonten 10-08-2008 02:27 PM

Another terrible, but preventable tragedy.

I bet he was tied in during his crossing; but it's when we get "to safety" that we let our guard down............

Giulietta 10-08-2008 02:32 PM

I guess you are only home once you enter the hall and close the door behind you..

A lesson to be taken, I guess.

To the family I present my deepest sincere condolences for their loss.

sailortjk1 10-08-2008 02:46 PM

Sorry to hear that, such a shame.

JohnRPollard 10-08-2008 02:59 PM

Sympathies to the family.

I believe the boat was a 1976 Formosa 40.

bubb2 10-08-2008 07:10 PM

It saddens my heart to hear this. To you Mr.Clint Vanorsdell, I Happen to know a very good crew menber where you are now. I will talk to her in your behalf.

tweitz 10-08-2008 09:43 PM

As always, there but for the grace of God....

trantor12020 10-09-2008 09:21 AM

any suggestion as to cause of death? is water there cold?

tommays 10-09-2008 09:30 AM

It is allways a sad thing BUT around here(NY NJ CT) far more people drowned in home pools than on boats

At this point the water has just gotten cold enough that 35 minutes cleaning the bottom is COLD

Loewe 10-09-2008 10:02 AM

May we all leave this life doing something that fills our soul..

Red & Crew