SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Flying with a PFD (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/47838-flying-pfd.html)

beat2quarters 10-08-2008 03:05 PM

Flying with a PFD

Is anyone aware of any airline restrictions for flying with an inflatable hydrostatic PFD in your luggage...carry on or hold?

tommays 10-08-2008 03:10 PM

Google "compressed gas flying restrictions"

Small compressed gas cartridges
(Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares) Yes

eherlihy 10-08-2008 03:12 PM

Flying with Self-Inflating PFDs: Uncertain Limits Remain with Carriage of Life Jacket CO2 Cylinders

The article is copyrighted up the wazoo, but it answers your question. In essence, it depends on the carrier. The TSA, however, has to allow you to bring them through the checkpoint. Refer to Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations 175.10 (25).

T34C 10-08-2008 03:36 PM

Maybe you should just ask to borrow one of the inflatable PFDs already on the plane?

Faster 10-08-2008 03:52 PM

This has been discussed in previous threads and there seems to be a wide range of responses as to yes/no and who makes that call.

Personal experience is an emphatic NO, not allowed, despite there being several hundred of these same cartridges in the cabin already, in the emergency vests under the seat. Bureaucratic "logic"........

beat2quarters 10-08-2008 03:59 PM

Thanks guys, T34C - you mean the seat cushion..!!

JohnRPollard 10-08-2008 04:04 PM

I always inflate mine before boarding. I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to pull the chord if the plane was going down.

AllThumbs 10-08-2008 04:35 PM

well that is not very safe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 381568)
I always inflate mine before boarding. I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to pull the chord if the plane was going down.

:D

Actually, you are supposed to wait until the plane has crashed into the ocean, and you are out of the fuselage and in the water to inflate it. If you don't, you will not be able to swim out of a sinking fuselage because you will be stuck to the ceiling due of the flotation of the life vest.

As to the OP question, I haven't a clue.

Eric

sailordave 10-08-2008 06:43 PM

Up to the individual airlines. ("with the permission of the aircraft operator") or something to that effect reads the CFR.

Now they have flip-flopped several times on this but the last I heard was it could be in carry on OR checked luggage.
Call the airline. JetBlue won't allow them. SouthWest did the last time I flew.

jimmytc 10-08-2008 08:15 PM

You can check the regulations on the internet.
I always fly with mine.
ALWAYS an issue though......
Best is to have a copy of the regulations at hand when you check in.