Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008

canoeman256 is on a distinguished road
Motor: DIY or Pay up; that is the question

Hello all,

I hope this is the proper forum for this question. If not, please forgive me. I have a 6HP Johnson outboard (2 cycle) I use on a C22. It's been a terrific motor and hasn't given me a moments trouble. It came with the boat and I now need to change the oil and I will need to change the impeller. I don't have a manual for this motor and I've never taken an outboard apart...yet. My question is this: How difficult is getting to the impeller, and once there, how difficult is it to remove and replace? Changing the oil should be a "no brainer" but I'm not so sure about the motor innards. If it's not a DIY project, how much should I expect to pay for having someone else do it? Also, where can a fellow get a shop manual?

Sort of a rambling question, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Canoeman256
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I really hope you mean change the lower unit oil. There is no engine oil.

As for changing the water pump impeller, its not a hard job, as long as the drive shaft doesn't stick in the bottom of the powerhead. Im going through a battle with a early 70's Evinrude 9.5 that has the shaft very firmly stuck in the powerhead. Other than that, its a pretty easy project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 10-09-2008
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
If you are mechanically inclined, for sure a DIY. There is lots on-line for instructions - do a Google for your make and model.
Old 10-09-2008

rperret is on a distinguished road
totally easy job. buy a manual - please - $30 well spent...at either amazon or west marine.

also, buy a good quality penetrating oil such as PB Blaster - some of the screws to remove the lower unit may be tight...

also - post questions such as this in the GEAR AND MAINTENANCE section.

rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeman256 View Post
Hello all,

I hope this is the proper forum for this question. If not, please forgive me. I have a 6HP Johnson outboard (2 cycle) I use on a C22. It's been a terrific motor and hasn't given me a moments trouble. It came with the boat and I now need to change the oil and I will need to change the impeller. I don't have a manual for this motor and I've never taken an outboard apart...yet. My question is this: How difficult is getting to the impeller, and once there, how difficult is it to remove and replace? Changing the oil should be a "no brainer" but I'm not so sure about the motor innards. If it's not a DIY project, how much should I expect to pay for having someone else do it? Also, where can a fellow get a shop manual?

Sort of a rambling question, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Canoeman256

The grocery stores the super mart, uh huh
Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh
And men still keep on marching off to war
Electrically they keep a baseball score

The beat goes on, the beat goes on...
Old 10-09-2008

Thanks for the input. I did realize it's oil for the lower unit. Like I said, I don't think that'll be a big deal. But the impeller...I just don't know what I'm getting into. I used to drive a '67 TR4 so I'm not a complete stranger to the workshop, but, I've never taken an outboard apart and I've never seen a manual for one.

I'll visit google and see what it turns up. Thanks for the response.

The next logical question is: If the drive shaft is stuck, is the answer lots of penetrating oil and a bigger hammer?
Old 10-09-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Try this: Johnson & Evinrude Outboards - iboats Boating Forums
Old 10-09-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
May I wax philosphical???

Here's the question I'd ask........ Do you like messing around with motors?

If so, go for it, you ultimately will care more about it than the guy you take it to. If there are challenges along the way and you'll enjoy learning from them, you'll have additional knowledge for next time.

If you hate working on motors, you'll get frustrated when things go wrong. In that case, let someone else do it.

I like working on motors and improvement projects. I hate bottom painting and maintaining teak. I do the first two and farm out the other two.

It took me a while (decades) to realize that I really did like working on motors, but once I did, the frustration went away.
Old 10-10-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Get some screw extractors for when you bust off a screw head or two.
Had to use those a couple of times. Saves money in that you don't have to take the engine to a machine shop and have it done... or call in a machinist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 10-11-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Impact screwdriver... works wonders as long as you don't bung up the aluminum. As for getting the lower unit free from the powerhead: yes the shaft can really get stuck in there. Remember these simple rules: never strike aluminum with a steel hammer. Use a block of wood to dampen the blow. Try to direct the force only in the intended direction. And when you reinstall there is a small groove in the top of the shaft, an o-ring goes there, replace it!
Old 10-11-2008

Hey all,

I appreciate all the input. I'm goin' in... as they say. If I'm not back out in 30 days, someone come find me!! I'll let you know how it comes out (no pun intended).

Thanks again, I don't post much, but I read a lot and I appreciate everyone's willingness to share info.