Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008

docent is on a distinguished road
Mast up or down for winter?

I have a catalina mk 28 tall rig. I have always removed mast for winter storage because I read it is less stressful on deck. Thoughts? If the mast is left up (cheaper), please advise right way to loosen stays and shrouds, how loose is loose and when is it too loose?

thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
I've done it both ways (and the same with the mast up or down). At our prior and soon-to-be-prresent marina the travel-lift won't accomidate a mast being up so we have no choice. I prefer to leave the mast up for convenience. Mast down is probably less stressful on the rig and certainly allows for maintenance and better treatment of the anemometer, Windex & VHF antenna (as they can be removed for storage); and it encourages a full standing rigging check-over twice annually (once down & again just before going up).

When loosening the turnbuckles I would back off three or four turns. (Our 34 was deck stepped). It should be snug, but not fully tensioned. Loose enough to allow flex & motion is too loose as metal will suffer stress fractures from repeated flexing and your chain-plates are designed for a steady pull - not the sudden jerks & stops from a loose mast.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 10-10-2008
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
I'll keep it up this year but will bring it down next just for inspection.
Old 10-10-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I don't know enough to answer your question, on my boat it's pretty simple, drop the mast or it won't fit in my back yard I am interested in a Catalina 28 as my next boat though (along with a few other models) and would like to know how you like yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 10-11-2008

docent is on a distinguished road
mast up or down, how is the catalina 28

tall rig with fin keel, sails great, especially with 110 foresail. Lots of room in cockpit, sleeps six easily below but storage, except ice chest, is VERY SPARSE. Backing is weak with two blade prop, but forward handles well. There was no skimping with deck hardware. Overall, very nice boat .
Old 10-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
It makes no sense that a mast system designed to take the large dynamic forces it is subjected to in winds and seas pounding to windward, would not be safe in a static mode in a properly supported and blocked dry storage situation. Leave it up unless you have a reason to take it down.
Old 10-12-2008
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Cam. Why is this even a question?

Leave the mast up, do not touch any of the rigging adjustments. Just leave it alone, trust us, your boat will be fine.
Old 10-12-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
We take ours down because we've no choice: The haul-out/splash is via a crane, so the mast can't be left up. If we had a choice, I don't know which way we'd go. Mast up with the boat sitting in a cradle or jack-stands seems kind of scary, what with that extra wind load up there, and I imagine makes it harder to fully-cover the boat, if you so-desire. Taking the mast down and putting it up is a hassle, but it does give you an opportunity to check-over all your rigging, etc., thoroughly each season.

Jim
Old 10-13-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We just brought our boat to the Long Island Sound. Interestingly enough, we have yet to find a marina on the NY/CT side (haven't looked at Long Island) that doesn't tack on a surcharge for storing your boat with the mast up. The general surcharge is 15% of your storage fee. I've asked why, and multiple marinas stated that "Due to winds, we have to put more stands on boats with their masts up and we have to check them more frequently". I don't know what to think of this since none of the marinas on Lake Champlain or Annapolis that we've spoken with have a surcharge, and I can't see the winds being that much higher in CT where our boat is now.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-13-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If you live in an area that is subject to winter freezes it is preferable to take the mast down. Things expand and contract at different rates. Water can be inside things in funny places and cause cracks or deterioration in things that you don't see unless you examine the masthead carefully.