Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I haven't read the man's blog and frankly have no interest so I'm not supporting unskilled or unqualified people going to sea and maybe he is an idiot (Jody) but two things from this thread are clear:
  • If he had to do this, then it's better that he does it alone and risks only his own life
  • A broken rudder post can happen to anybody and it wasn't his inexperience to blame for that. The suggestions that he should have been able to sail the boat with a dead ahead rudder (Delirious) thru a 20 to 30ft sea and that he should have stripped and rebuilt the entire boat (JRD22) before leaving are nonsense. I wouldn't have and neither would 95% of sailors.
If there is other info in the blog that makes the above statements accurate then I apologise but I'm still not going to bother reading it.

And, not that I am religious but "God bless the folks who rescue anybody" (Delirious).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2008

okawbow is on a distinguished road
It takes a lot of experience and wisdom to realize you really don't know much. He will learn. Everyone starts somewhere.
Old 10-10-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Damn, I want to sail around the world. Send me money and I'll do it as soon as I'm ready.
Trade your Gemini for a 1961 Palmer Johnson Bounty II and you'll probably have enough cash left over for a couple of years at sea. It's all about choices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-10-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
He expected the ocean to be rough, but had no idea. We all make mistakes this was a big one for him. He lost his life savings, all of his possessions, and the boat.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it have made sense to try crossing the ocean a few times to get an idea how it is BEFORE trying to do it single handed? I know I sure as hell wouldn't try it.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 10-10-2008

genieskip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
[*]A broken rudder post can happen to anybody and it wasn't his inexperience to blame for that. The suggestions that he should have been able to sail the boat with a dead ahead rudder (Delirious) thru a 20 to 30ft sea and that he should have stripped and rebuilt the entire boat (JRD22) before leaving are nonsense. I wouldn't have and neither would 95% of sailors.[/LIST]If there is other info in the blog that makes the above statements accurate then I apologise but I'm still not going to bother reading it.
I beg to differ. A broken rudder can happen to anybody - true - However experienced sailors going offshore consider that possibility and plan on how to deal with it before they take off. They also make dammed sure that all vital systems (and few are as vital as steering) are in tip top shape. Anyone who has spent any time on the water would know that a boat built in '61 is going to need a careful inspection and a lot of upgrading before being anywhere near seaworthy. He wasn't going across a few miles of sheltered water. He was setting out around the world.

I completely disagree with your statement that 95% of sailors would do the same. Just not true. I would say that 95+% of the sailors I know who were planning a trip of that magnitude would spend a lot of time and a lot of money making sure they had a chance of getting to where they were going. I can't think of a single person I have ever sailed with that would be foolish enough to take off around the world on a 47 year old boat that had not been surveyed and carefully upgraded.

I am all in favor of people who want "follow their bliss", as Joseph Campbell says, but there are easier ways to commit suicide, ways that don't endanger rescuers.

Last edited by genieskip; 10-10-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
When many people sailed before there was radios and EPIRBs. They had to fend for themselves. Jury-rigged a new rudder and head for the nearest port for repairs.
Now if you are having trouble, you holler for someone to get you out of the hole that you have dug and fell into.
Life may have been viewed easier in the old days. But it took a stronger minded person to survive those good old days.

Oh! When I used to teach sailing; near the end of the course I would disable the rudder and see if they could steer by using the sails. And come up with another means to steer by.

These thoughts are not to be taken as a put down on the lad. Just thoughts on comparing what was then and now.
It is a good thing that we do have EPIRBs and Radios today... And the AIS is rapidly becoming a godsend.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 10-10-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Oh Cam you rabble-rouser you! BFS "Proponent". So does this make you a BFS Opponent?

Look - here's what I said when you first posted this story in BFS:

"Honestly, Cam. I'm looking through his website - and this guy has quite a story. And no one can say he ain't got follow through (i.e. - cajones). Fair winds RJ. Go, man, go!

Definitely BFS."

And I'll stand by it.

Don't forget that very experienced sailor Skip Allan and Wildflower (in the first few pages of BFS). Rescued in roughly the same patch of water while single-handing in similar conditions. Complete polar opposites in terms of experience and knowledge - same result. Are you chumps going to call Skip Allan names?

So - give me a break on harshing this guy all over the place. Was he in over his head? Yeah, he admitted as much. (So was Skip in those conditions.) Should he have known more? Of course - who doesn't? Would I do it? Hell no - that scares the bajeepers out of me.

BUT - he did it. And he was prepared enough to survive it - just like Skip Allan. So just let the lessons stand without all this righteous indignation. You go out big when you feel you're ready to go out big. Sometimes you're right. Sometimes your wrong.

It's all still as subjective as it was before he cast off.

(BTW - you owe me 10 bucks for hi-jacking BFS. I own the trademark.)
Old 10-10-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I dont have much opinion one way or the other...I admire the spirit even though you can rightly argue the preperation.

A thought that comes to my mind often though is ...How many of this kind of attempts..aka. the tin can being another one or the bottle boat with a plane fuselage straped on, would not be attempted if it wernt for big brothers ability to come after you...or in other words your ace in the hole so to speak.

My guess is far fewer.
Old 10-10-2008
Banned

runner is on a distinguished road
Stuff happens and then you die. Never be afraid to dance, sing, or chase a dream. Only your spouse, partner, dog, or your children have more priority. Falling down is not the measure. Getting back up into the saddle is! Take no prisoners youngun!
Old 10-10-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
BUT - he did it. And he was prepared enough to survive it.
Smacky,
I guess I missed something in the translation.
He did not survive with out the assistance of some very brave souls who put their lives in jepordy to go out and get him back safe...........
And, he was not preppared.

I am not sure I understand your statement.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White