Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: BFS Proponent Rescued at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Let me get this right. Ronnie has lost a rudder on one crossing and a KEEL on another crossing? Mental note to self: do not loan Ronnie Simpson any equipment.
Heh-heh. You got it!

But you have to admit...he's getting better.
messer999 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

If your a proponent of BFS or not, if you sail enough,...Someday you WILL experience it.

Just expect it, and be ready to put knuckles on the deck WHEN, not if it happens.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-18-2012

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
If your a proponent of BFS or not, if you sail enough,...Someday you WILL experience it.

Just expect it, and be ready to put knuckles on the deck WHEN, not if it happens.
But if haven't sailed enough and it happens?? and keeps happening??

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

Old 07-18-2012
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Let me get this right. Ronnie has lost a rudder on one crossing and a KEEL on another crossing? Mental note to self: do not loan Ronnie Simpson any equipment.
I might add that he lost 1 kayak, and 1 new (now inflated) life raft before being rescued on his first ill-fated crossing to Hawaii. He has since learned how to tie knots.

Ronnie is a friend, and I'm proud of him. He really has learned not to hang around most forums trying to defend himself from the bashing he takes. Sailing Anarchy seems to have noticed his accomplishments, so go pretty easy on him.

Yeah, he's come a long way in a short number of years. Happily, he lived through learning to sail across the Pacific to Hawaii. I've seen him all banged up from crashing his gixxer doing wheelies too. He just likes to learn stuff the hard way. Some people just think that way, mostly disregarding the consequences of failure.
chall03 likes this.
Old 07-18-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Oh, come one now. Losing the keel is a honorable tradition among top-ranked sailors. The head of Hunter lost the keel first time out on Thursday's Child, custom built for his racing, maybe 20 years ago? And wasn't it Bertie Roos who borrowed spent uranium for his keel from South Africa for a Volvo? Cup race, who lost that expensive bit of gear in the Southern Ocean, maybe 10 years ago?
Old 07-18-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
There are many ways to make a boat point in the general direction you want it to go if out far from shore. It's just the knowledge of how, the prep in counting on losing the rudder, and planning a bit ahead that was lacking in this case.

In addition to an emergency tiller (which should be a GIVEN), I have a set of pintles and gudgeons, a 2" piece of pipe that is drilled to accept an emergency rudder and a 3/4" plywood rudder that could be rigged up, hanging off the transom, if the need arose. It would be a poor substitute for a real rudder but would work without having to call for help. If going out of sight of land, you need to plan on more than having an EPIRB which IMO should be used only when it is obvious your boat is sinking. EPIRB use really should be as the absolute last option.
Do you really think a rudder made out of 3/4" ply will steer a 35' boat? You should try it out before using it my friend, from personal experience I can tell you that is pretty weak unless it is seriously reinforced with carbon or something...
Old 07-19-2012
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

I would like to add a bit of news. Looks like Ronnie is working on his karma -

The boat is now approaching the island of Maui. I want to be cryptic about it's position or whereabouts until we have possession of her, but in an effort to save the boat from being run aground, lost at sea or salvaged, the Singlehanded Transpac fleet has come together to save Bela. A very generous fleet member paid for the charter of a fishing boat and two other generous fleet members purchased plane tickets for Ruben Gabriel and myself to fly to Maui. Ruben is a great friend of mine. We double handed my Moore 24 around the Farallones this year and both recently sailed Moore 24's in the Singlehanded Transpac, so i'm really honored to be able to share this experience with Ruben and work to save Dirk's boat. Dirk lives aboard the boat, so this is someone's home that we're talking about. Having lost a boat at sea, that I lived on, this is very personal for me to try to help reclaim Dirk's home

Open Blue Horizon - Home
Old 07-19-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Do you really think a rudder made out of 3/4" ply will steer a 35' boat? You should try it out before using it my friend, from personal experience I can tell you that is pretty weak unless it is seriously reinforced with carbon or something...
Actually, it's two pieces of 3/4" ply that sandwich around and bolt through the 2" pipe with a row of 5/16" carriage bolts and then to each other, making the structure 1-1/2" of plywood--more than adequate. The pipe then has a 3/4" "tiller" to do the turning. I'm sure it is strong enough. The only difficulty may be that, being that far aft, it would likely pull out of the water at times on a wave crest. It is not meant to enable sailing anywhere near close on the wind. It's not big enough for that, probably half the size of an adequate rudder. You're right, I should try it out, but I'm pretty confident it would work in a pinch. I did not put on traditional pintle/gudgeon but have 1-1/2" s.s. straps made up as the gudgeons which fit around the 2" pipe, like pipe straps. The whole assembly would take some time to install and could not be done in any kind of heavy sea. It is not meant to be a quick emergency set-up but more a jury rig to limp in somewhere close enough to get towed. That was the point of much of the discussion: NOT having to activate an EPIRB.
Old 07-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
That was the point of much of the discussion: NOT having to activate an EPIRB.
So you've got an extra rudder. There's still a million other things that can get you.

Personally, I never like to use your line above. Too easy to become complacent.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-19-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Probably at least a million. All you can do is try to think ahead so that when something unexpected happens, at least you may be able to deal with it. There things you are not going to be able to fix but plenty of things that you can without throwing in the towel and expecting to be airlifted off a boat that's still sailable. I'm always impressed by the solo circumnav of Jean de Sud in his A30 when he gets rolled multiple times in the 40s, running with 20' breaking seas at night, mast is ripped off, no one answers the EPIRB signal, radios trashed, so he dives in the water to retrieve what rigging he can, sets a jib sideways on a piece of mast that he jury rigs and sails the freaking thing back. No rescue necessary.

What I hopefully have are the components to rig up a temporary "rudder." They really do not take up all that much room, broken down, and could come in handy. Keeping spare rigging parts, a few swageless fittings, some simple wire clamps, etc., stuff so you can help yourself, makes a lot of sense to me.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-19-2012 at 04:00 PM.