SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What did you buy at the Annapolis Boat show

9K views 40 replies 32 participants last post by  speciald 
#1 ·
I love this show. So many new shiny boats begging for owners that will love them. Many gadgets to buy in all the booths. Pussers painkillers in tin mugs to drink. The best weather in the history of the show.
Here is what I bought:
4 Garhauer Snatch Block - Series 40, One spool of New England 10 mm Sta-set rope, Galleyware nesting cooking pots, tumbler drinking glasses, hats for crew with my boat name on it, renewed membership to SSCA & Lats & Atts.
The boats at the show where impressive for the most part. The Southerly 42 RST at the show won my best cruising boat of the year award. :D I am off to buy my lottery ticket. The Hinkley Sou'wester 70 won the most gorgeous boat of the year. Had to change my drool bid twice looking at her.
Most improved production boat goes to Dufour. Most impressive new deck hardware: Calibers Smart Rail system - Ding davits, engine motor lift and solar panels built in the stern rail.
The bad at the show. Most of the production boats I saw I was shock to say the least. They have cheapen the boats with inferior materials all through out the boats. Concrete/steel keels vs lead, lower grade deck hardware, plastic and inferior woods in the cabin. I asked the head sales person at the show about this and they all acknowledge what I saw. They all said it was to keep the boat in a certain price range and they had to make some changes. It reminds me of what they did in the mid 80's-90's during the last boat recession. It was a horrible thing to see.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was surprised how many boats were made in China. The Outbounds were a big disappointment in this respect (not to mention that strange companionway drop-off in the new 52). Even the new little Melges 20 (pretty sweet little racer) gets shipped over in a container (four per).

My favorite boat at the show was the schooner Virginia.

The only equipment I bought was a Davis Mega Light, which can serve as a back-up anchor light.

I tried to buy 4 of these, but no one had them in stock. I saw them on several boats at the show and they are infinitely superior to the inboard leads we have on our boat, and better than the Schaeffer version too:

Harken Outboard Stanchion Lead Block

I'm ordering 4 from Defender today.

#3 ·
The bad at the show. Most of the production boats I saw I was shock to say the least. They have cheapen the boats with inferior materials all through out the boats. Concrete/steel keels vs lead, lower grade deck hardware, plastic and inferior woods in the cabin. I asked the head sales person at the show about this and they all acknowledge what I saw. They all said it was to keep the boat in a certain price range and they had to make some changes. It reminds me of what they did in the mid 80's-90's during the last boat recession. It was a horrible thing to see.
I ESPECIALLY liked the quarter-sawn plastic veneer on the Jeanneau cabinetry!:rolleyes: :p

Sailing buddy and I were showing is stepson/new daughter in law around. Looked at the Morris and other YACHTS, then went and showed them the POS crappy boats and why they were crappy.:D

Makes me more convinced then ever to find an older boat that has depreciated and fix it up the way I want. Or find one that already has 95% of what I want. In the meantime my sailing club's Catalina 320 and others will have to do.

Didn't buy anything. Just looked, but had a great day. In fact it helped me get over being "sick" and I was able to go back to work on Saturday!:D

#4 ·
I bought a couple of boat hooks from West Marine and a tube of Flitz polish which I found works great on fogged polycarbonate windows. The Hinkley is beautiful but I feel sorry for the poor sap that has to maintain all that teak. The Hylas 70 wasn't chopped liver either. My favorite boat in the show was the Tartan 4400. Actually it was the Tartan 5300 but at over a million dollars I can't even dream about that one.

Steve Bradford
Irwin 34 'Dulcimer'

#5 ·
Two Sport-A-Seats, Sunbrella leftovers to make seat covers out of, Weems-Plath portable chart table with parallel rules and compass rose built in, chart tube, over-the-fence ice cream and a couple of painkillers :). We looked at RIB's (think we settled on a Caribe 9X [West Marine has the lowest price around on it believe it or not]), generators, AC units, mattresses (think we're going latex), Drippless Shafts, fishing stuff [neat booth where a guy builds short stubby rods with 80lb test just to troll off the back of a sailboat) and various other odds and ends. It was a most educational show for us as we also learned how to strip a winch apart, went to a diesel basics seminar (a bit too basic, but our 11 year old son learned a lot) and a Cruising with Kids seminar where we met several cruising families we'll have to hook up with. By the way, did I mention we're now seriously considering leaving to cruise in 4 weeks instead of in a year and a half (if we can make it happen with regards to work stuff, which I doubt). We actually only went on one boat the entire show.

#7 ·
What a great weekend. The weather was great. I bought a number of Ying lings over the three days as well as a few Pain killers for the misses and me and some good chow.

Well we just bought our '86 Baba 40 3 weeks before the show. We didn't buy alot of stuff but still spent a few boat bucks. The big spending is yet to come. We did get a couple of Revere self inflating life jackets, some prism polish, a pressure cooker and cookware that nests inside of it, tools for screw retraction, ( I have a bunch of screws to take care of in the teak deck), a specialty tool for making clamps and binding with wire. The big purchase was a new sailrite sewing machine. Our Baba had the fuel tank spring a leak before we purchased her. The cushions all reak of diesel. We have decided to just outright replace them rather than clean them and replace them in a year or two. Besides the fabric is showing wear.

I was mostly gathering info on autopilots, basic electronics for wind, speed and depth, info on varnish, epoxy or Cetol fuel tanks and a host of other things that need to be done.

It does make it hard to go back to work this week. I would rather be working on my Baba. At least the Dow is up today.

Jeff:cool:

#8 ·
Henri Lloyd Gore-Tex Offshore Racer Jacket and Hi-fit trousers. Saved $250 over internet pricing, and talked to some nice people from Annapolis Performance sailing.

And maybe had a couple painkillers. :)
Must say, the Andrews 28 will be my next boat. Trailerable, 7' draft, sprit, and just enough below to keep me happy. No wood, no shower, no stove, no cabinets to complain about. I think it rates 84 in PHRF. But at 100k barebones and 120k ready to go, I think I'll have my merit for another couple decades. ;)

#10 ·
I just got the word that I'll be crewing on a boat delivery from Stamford to Key West in November! The show discounts came in handy.
too many mussels, crabs and Yeunglings!

Dubarry Ultima boots
Gill Pro Gloves
Spinlock Deck Vest - smokn deal!
Butt Pads for my Gill racing shorts
Hand line and lures

#11 ·
I got myself replacement for Tilley Hat. I was going to test their promise of lifetime warranty. My old hat traveled quite a few thousand miles on three continents and it was quite worn and it developed a few tears. However my dog, home locked and bored, manage to find the hat a few days prior to show. Hence no free replacement :)
Boats – some nice and some cheap… both categories are out of my league anyway.
I got inside of Mini 6.5 shell. There was one, bare shell, no rigging yet, hull number #1 of first US production. I kinda liked it; I can imagine living in it for short ocean crossing :)
Rest of the toys - shiny and expensive. I was wondering how much of the glister is for luring buyers…Sort of feeling I’ve gotten in tackle shop where most of lures are not for catching a fish but for catching a fisherman.
Due to extremely nice weather show was overcrowded…. But still fun. :D

#12 ·
Awk! Spent about 5 boat-bux on:
*Kyocera solar panels
*Webasto diesel heater
*Garmin handheld chartplotter oregon 400c
*new foulies
*peek-a-booo port covers (yeah, I know they're overpriced, but this is my HOME)
*Garhaauer 6-part purchase
*misc odds and ends
*beer, munchies, pizza for various evenings with out-of-town friends who had come in for the show

Life is Good! I love this time of year in Annapolis!

#30 ·
Yikes! Just talked to NorthSails and agreed to spend another five boat-bux for new sails!

Now the powerboat people are here - a totally different vibe. Gold chains and tight pants/miniskirts. I still wonder how you can expect to look at boats when you're wearing stilletto heels?

#15 ·
New Henri Lloyd Ocean Racer Bibs--only $175! (last year's model but still new in the box--retail for $450)

Favorite boat at the show:

Alerion Express 33! Pearson Composites has really kept up the quality when everyone else seems to be slacking--of course, it's reflected in the price of $261,000. The 33' would be the perfect daysailer or Chesapeake cruising boat. Very impressive.

#16 ·
WOW... now I know the difference in "going" to the boat show and "working" at the boat show!!! I managed to zip around and buy some LED replacement bulbs for my halogen ones. But purchased little else other than my daily pain killer!

It was rather interesting having a business/booth. As you know the weather was incredible, which helped attendance of locals and drive in traffic. The folks who attend Thursday and Friday will typically have their reservations well in advance-therefore rain or shine they WILL be there. Sales on Thursday and Friday were amazing. Lots of tire kickers the rest of the show. Overall a good sales show, but total sales for me were down 10% from last year. Not bad I thought, all things considered. I know of several boat dealers who were "disappointed" with sales.

For the first time in this show I had something stolen AND I had someone threaten to bring a lawsuit against me the next day by his daughter who is an attorney because I asked if he possibly had cash rather than charging for a $12 sale. THAT was a first. I've refused to sell to someone before for being rude, I'm too old to put up with those folks, but this was a first for a yelling and screaming idiot. I personally think rude people should be illegal.

As always it was wonderful catching up with friends and seeing how their children had grown over the year and how many nautical miles they had traveled. A HUGE thank you goes to a Sailnet member who generously shared his knowledge on digital tv transmission.

It gives me great pleasure being able to sell something at cost to an elderly sailor who probably couldn't afford it any other way, to see someones face light up because they discovered an item they didn't know existed and to feel the energy and enthusiasm from those who enjoy the water and wind and open their hearts, minds and souls to those who share that love.

Yes, I do own a business, but not promoting a thing with this post...just sharing :)

#17 ·
I had a first timer in tow, so did not get to do as much bargain shopping as I would have liked. I bought a couple of those "Beer wench" cup holder things that fit in the winch and hold a cold beverage at the Lats and Atts both and I bought a one of those combo bilgebailer/boat hook contraptions but that was it. I'm sure things will occur to me all winter that I should have been looking for.

Other purchases were consumed on site. It was perfect weather and the small crowd on Monday was great for getting to see a bunch of boats. I also ran into a few friends and got a chance to chat with the guy building my new suit of sails for a while so all in all it was an enjoyable show for me this year.

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah, the credit crunch has really strapped the new boat business, as has the incredible rise in cost of materials and overall production. Some are having to extend their own credit financing, which further restricts their inventory and results in delays new buyers don't like.

The used boat business is humming, though.

Two days at the show. Overall, I spent $14 for two beers and tips (and some good friends bought me a few more). First time ever I found two free parking places on the street, despite the wonderful weather and huge crowds.

Great to see old friends and colleagues, and to swap a few lies. Closed a couple of little deals, too. All-in-all, not a bad Show :)

And, as usual, I didn't see a single boat I'd rather have than Born Free, though the Hylas 70 was a beauty, but I'd thoughtfully left my checkbook at home, too :)

Bill

#20 ·
I'm not going to go into what the wife bought, but as for me, I got a Davis Sextant, one of those wire clamping tools, a beer/soda wench holder, rescue tape, couple of shirts, couple of hats, crab cakes, burgers and more than a few Pain Killers. Oh yea, I renewed my Latts & Atts subscription.

Someday I'll get a BOAT!

Mike

#24 ·
I'm not going to go into what the wife bought, but as for me, I got a Davis Sextant, ...

Mike
Sad sign of the times, we found a sextant in the dumpster 2 years ago.

Although I find the sextant solution mathematically elegant, I don't intend using it for navigation. We now have 3 handheld GPSs instead.

#21 ·
Saturday we (MMR and I) got 3 rolls of rescue tape, cloth heater/cutter thing, hand punch sewing tool ad a book from Sailrite, then half a dozen pain killers, which ended the shopping for me.
Got good looks at all my favorite boats earlier, and went back on Monday to evade the crowd. Bought nothing on Monday, just gawking with friends.

#22 ·
But did you and Mike go out sailing on Monday???

#23 ·
I bought the entire menu at the Fleet Reserve Club and washed it down with a painkiller.

Then I saw the Alerion 28 and the Catalina 309.

Bought a leftover t-shirt from Sail Week.

Extended my subscription to Chesapeake Bay magazine and got my tote bag from BOAT/US.

Quite a productive day!!

#25 ·
anyone stop by the Harken tent? If you go there in the early morning you can "grind your best time" and they give you free stuff. Between my friend and I, we now have a 2009 calendar, 4 sail ties, and a t-shirt. Since he doens't have a boat, I get the sail ties. :cool:

#26 ·
Melrna and others raise good points about changes in materials, and it is sad to see. However, the builders only other option is to raise their prices, and I think many of us would be equally, if not more so, disappointed in that. For example, the price of lead has risen 4x over the last couple of years, making lead keels very expensive. Changed to interior laminates are the result of people not wanting to spend as much time maintaining their boats. And teak has also become very expensive and is not a renewable resource.

As for sales, I think it will vary greatly depending on brand and dealer. We sold 3 new boats at the recent Boston In-Water Show, which was huge. I think people still want to escape (maybe even more so now) and may cut harder elsewhere to be able to enjoy the sea. Used boats are selling very well too.

Wish I could have made it to Annapolis this year...

#27 ·
Loved the show, we spent Fri, Sat and Sun trying to figure out what boat to by next and are now more confused than ever…

Impressions:

1. New Benes suck inside. Looks like Ikea.

2. Hunters suck as well, except the 49 where they seem to have stepped up the quality a bit.

3. Catalina 470 is a nice boat with lots of storage, but it is one big ship.

4. Tartan 3700/4300 (no 4100 at show) are lovely boats. Some of their salesmen were real arrogant though...

5. Sabre 426 - yummy but >$500K loaded

6. Caliber 40 - nice solid boat with marginal galley storage and tiny quarter berth.

6 ½. Island Packets = excellent workmanship.

7. Valiant 42 - cool but not for the bay.

8. Hallberg Rassy 37. Excellent but too small.

9. Dufour 425 - pretty nice

9 ½ Jeanneau 44 - cockpit the size of dance floor. Cushions like a powerboat.

10. Gozzard 44 - if money was no object the check would be in the mail.

11. Bob Bitchin is one large dude.

12. There is no perfect boat - except maybe this one…

1984 Angel Marine Custom Nassau 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Bought a boat hook...

Cheers

#28 ·
Tried to go to the show Saturday but ended up sailing instead - would have been a great day out of Baltimore Harbor if it weren't for the steady stream of large wake producing stinkpots that killed any chance of peace and solitude.

Got to the show on Monday (love those federal holidays!) and spent my entire allowance on:
- an L&A coozie so I could meet the blonde who's in the party photo every issue and was the favorite L&A character of the Ramadi Yacht Club
- a beer from the Fleet Reserve
- 3 rolls of Atomic tape
- Prism Polish
- another coozie from L&A so I could meet Bob and Jody
- a 48 LED cockpit light

I've decided that the post-Corps boat is going to be a Caliber 40 although I'm sure the Admiral will want the 47.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.