SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Winter around the Long Island Sound

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  pegasus1457 
#1 ·
After a too-short first season as a brand new boat owner, myself and my partner are looking for somewhere to store our 25' O'day, the Gypsy Lass this winter. The boat is currently moored at City Island, but we wouldn't mind spending the winter in the city, on Long Island or in Connecticut. We're open to wet or dry storage, and our key concern is price. We're the sort of people who prefer to do our own bottom painting and maintenance, but if there happens to be a yard or marina with a good package deal then we'd be happy to go with that.

So does anyone know of an affordable yard, marina, or barring that a decent hauler and storage space around Long Island/Conn/ or New York? My co-owner and I are both students with somewhat limited funds, and could really use some advice about where to keep our Gypsy Lass!

Thanks!

#2 ·
Winter around the LIS can be pretty variable first of all. Once every 20 years or so the Sound will freeze up when it gets really cold (@20*F) for two weeks and the creeks and harbors will begin to freeze up. Usually it does not freeze in my experience and in water storage is a viable option and is usually a bit cheaper then being hauled out and put on the hard.
I used a yard in Glen Cove on LI to store our 27' Tartan for 2 years and it cost less than $1K for haul out, power wash and setting up, and they allowed you to do your own bottom job. Many places do not allow that and cost much more from the outset. The yard I used has been bought up by a conglomerate and probably does not have such lax rules anymore but I will mention them: Glen Cove Marina (used to be Jude-Thaddeus).
I know of one guy on the sailnut board that took his 40' boat from Lake Champlain to a yard up the Connecticut River (I think) and perhaps there was partly an economic component to his decision. You could ask him about this. Here is a thread he sponsored while coming down the Hudson: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...ted/47645-done-canal-heading-down-hudson.html
Good luck.
I doubt that City Island is very cheap but you will have to figure out the economics.

#4 · (Edited)
Well

DIY is pretty much no longer allowed any place on LI and you will be hard pressed to find a bargain ;) as all the sailboat yards are pretty busy

I get around it with a triad trailer and a gin pole as a REFUSE to pay 525 dollars to have my 35' mast stepped two times a year (1100 dollars)

In shopping around i did get my haul and set on the trailer down from 12 dollars to 7.25 a ft

Being completely serious the trailer is a break even item pretty fast if you have a place to park it

#5 ·
You bought my friend's boat. Congrats and good luck. She's been on the hard for a while, waiting for a new owner.

If your interested, you could store in water at the Stony Brook Yacht Club. I stored my Tartan 27 there a couple of years in a row and had no trouble whatsoever. They use agitators if it gets cold enough to freeze. It is a nicely sheltered harbor. I haven't inquired lately, but it should cost no more than $600 for non-members.

Skywalker

#6 ·
There are some choices in Connecticut.

I store at Captains Cove in Bridgeport - cost is $55/foot. The yard IS DIY and you can do bottom paint, sand, et al. I often see boats from New York, even New Jersey, store their boats here. The people at Capt' Cove are wonderful and I've not had an issue working/storing there in 6 years as long as you follow the rules.

Milford Boat Works is reasonable at $50/foot - and you can do your own work there too.

Another poster mentioned a yard up the CT River - a friend at the Yacht club mentioned the same marina - but there name escapes me - I believe the cost was somethign like $28/foot.

Since you must be in NYC - City Island may be your best bet.

In thinking of location - remember that you;ll need to be driving to the yard several times in the spring to commission her. So you need to consider driving time, etc into that equation - so good project planning is critical if you are driving a long distance..

At the end of the day - buying a boat is not expensive - winter storage is!

Rick

#7 ·
Port Jefferson

I store my boat at Old Man's Boat Yard in Port Jefferson. They have two yards, one on the water at Mt Sinai Harbor and the other just behind the
Port Jefferson station of the LIRR. The second yard allows owners to do their own work, including sanding and painting.

I have a 32' boat and I pay $1500 for a haul/launch with power wash, mast unstepping/stepping, storage fees for the boat and the mast (on a rack). It is somewhat cheaper if the mast is stored (horizontal) on the boat. I pay dearly for the mast because it is 46' long. I guess your boat would cost about $1100.

Their phone is 631-473-7330

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.