SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

stoners

11K views 89 replies 43 participants last post by  bestfriend 
#1 ·
What do you do with a stoned sailor? It seems like I am running into more people in sailing that smoke pot. Is this a recent trend or have I just not noticed? Is it a lake effect or are cruisers also aware of this?

#70 · (Edited)
Well, yeah Ken, back in the late '60s, when I was in the military overseas, I would have agreed wholeheartedly. BTW, this response is NOT directed to you......but to the 'belivers in general......Back then Thailand was a tippy canoe paradise and I was always first in line for a hit and I did my share blow'n funny smoke. I to believed in the concept that MJ was easier on the reflexes than alcohol. But thinking back, I never could preform an engine run-up at the start of my shift without sucking down some of tax payer's cockpit oxygen for about 10 minutes just to clear my head. I thankfully never caused a crash, so maybe there may be some merit in the theory....then again, a B-52 does have 8 engines! I was a jet mechanic BTW.

Intoxicate drivers STILL believe in that concept as well. there is not a week that goes by that I don't see at least a half a dozen people in the local Friday police blotter page of our newspaper....arrested for driving while under the influence and possession of cannabis. The drunks have their own section!Geeez, some of these people are in their 50'. and 60's! Check your local listings and you'll see that I mean.

I wish I could say that the reason I quit when I got out of the service was because I saw some sort of 'light', but the fact is I had to fill my pipe FIVE times to get the same buzz I got with ONE back in Thailand. It just got too expensive...the 'ole cost and effect just wasn't whorth it. I understand now the pot is of much better quality than the stuff we used to get...who says America's products are going to hell in a hand basket?:(

To further illustrate...a buddy I worked with had a half pipe before we went for a ride on our motors. He also believed in the "theory"....well until he mistook an alley-way for our intended route. The dumpster he hit held up well. :rolleyes: Long story short, after a long painful stay in the hospital and a year of recovery, he no longer subscribes to the 'theory'. Oh yeah, he also lost his job.

So to all of the 'subscribers' out there that still believe, let's just do some what if 'n. Your family is having a good time at a local airshow. The kids and wife spy the 'Rides for $10 bucks' in a spiffy Gull Winged Stension. You pay for 4 tickets to ride. On the way back, you see the pilot and mechanic smoking, enjoying a pipe and you smell that funny smell coming from their little hideaway. Your wife and kids are already in the aircraft, knowing of your belief in the 'theory',do you jump in knowing the pilots reflexes and thought processes are up to snuff??? How's that 'theory' looking now?:rolleyes: IMHO, The Theory just doesn't hold up and it's total BS.

To each his own, yeah I know, another worn out cliche, but if you're a smokin and I'm a poke'n, I only hope to hell that I'm and mine are not in your way. There, another $.02 worth.

#78 ·
I've never smoked pot or done what you would call illegal drugs. But, I did find a "present" buried underneath and behind a broken drawer after I bought my boat. I unknowingly sailed all the way from San Diego to San Francisco with a baggie full of "green leafy" substance. I was Active Duty US military at the time. If I'd been caught, I would have lost my boat, my job, my retirement, and likely spent some time in a military prison...all because of someone else's habit. Yes, the baggie went down the head (drug abuse I know), along with the rolling papers as soon as I found them. By the way, next to the baggie were a personal property receipt from a police station and a business card from a bail bond agency.

I don't hide the fact I don't want anything illegal on my boat (drugs, under-aged drinking, illegal firearms, stolen goods, etc). The "law" takes no humor if it would ever find any of these on your boat. The consequences are just too high for me.

So, what would I do with a stoned sailor...

1) There would never be a second time sailing with that person.
2) I wouldn't "call the cops" or turn the person into the CG if I could avoid it though.
3) The person would never be allowed back on my boat.

Now, if someone that was "high" hit my boat...you bet I'd be telling the authorities the person was incapacitated. The same would apply if the person was drunk. I try to stay far away from other boats when I’m out, so I doubt if I would even know if another boater was “high” or drunk until they literally forced me into a collision or hit me at anchor.

Before you jump to conclusions, I didn't name my boat. I bought her with the name "Zero Tolerance." I think she was caught drug-running, name changed, and sold at a "police" auction at some point. I'm just too cheap to change the name is all.

Before I get labeled a "square," I once smuggled narcotics across international boarders. But, that's another long and sorted story, one of many things the military forced me to do...

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"

#79 ·
Now, if someone that was "high" hit my boat...you bet I'd be telling the authorities the person was incapacitated. The same would apply if the person was drunk.
1) you can't sail the J good enought to sail faster than a stoned or drunk person
2) their boat is a power boat
3) Their boat is a bigger J
4) some stone kids can outsail you albeit you have a J
5) all the above

:D :D :D :D :D :D

#81 ·
Becareful of what you do here. Because you don't want to deprive the Villages of their IDIOTs....
After all, a village isn't a village if they don't have their village Idiot.

#83 · (Edited)
it's only illegal because society tells you it is. **** society! (did you get a say in the vote?) although i dont indulge, i dont have a problem with it. visit Amsterdam for a change. when i was in the military, the best A$$ kicking soldiers were all stoners, they excelled in everything (physical training, marksmanship, mechanics)for some strange reason. gotta be a reason the governments want it outlawed.

#84 ·
A Navy friend and I were on a double date with two really hot chicks in St Louis years ago. One of the girls pulled out a torpedo and asked for a light. My friend slammed on the brakes right there on I70 and kicked the girls out of the car. I mean he SLAMMED the brakes and they were on the side of the freeway in seconds. He said no chick was worth losing a career. I thought that was pretty cool. I wouldn’t have had the guts to dump them that way. We went on to the landing for some beer and Jazz.

Hey Pirate!!!

I left a message on your phone in Vegas last week. Sorry we missed! What a place that is. I picked up quite a few business cards from the Southern Immigrants on the sidewalks of the Strip. Cheri misplaced the dang things. Boy did we come back with stories. No money but good stories and memories.

#85 ·
Hey Pirate!!!

I left a message on your phone in Vegas last week. Sorry we missed! What a place that is. I picked up quite a few business cards from the Southern Immigrants on the sidewalks of the Strip. Cheri misplaced the dang things. Boy did we come back with stories. No money but good stories and memories.
sorry i missed you guys too, busy with the new kid diabetic

#86 ·
drugs?

not allowed on my boat ! i don't allow any kind of smoking, including tobacco. a couple of beers or a glass of wine in easy sailing weather, but not when the wind picks up. no boom boxes ! i don't have music on when i am on my boat. just the sound of the wind and waves is all i need.

#87 ·
you wanna fire one up, I don't care, not my problem, its your career, life... blah, blah, blah.
not in my car, boat, house, presence...
You wanna toke, thats your "right", legalities kinda aside.
Its my right not to have you anywhere around me. not kinda

#88 ·
You get to an age where it's all just kind of passe, don't you? Or maybe it's just that you start to realize that life is short and you really don't want to miss any more of it than necessary. Seems like a waste of time fraught with consequences not all just legal ones. I prefer to not be around it but you do as you please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.