Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats Labatt... What's the itinerary???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Good luck and Godspeed . . . or at least a good, stately pace.

I don't have a list (just a wish for the need) but two good books that may help and have most of the bases covered are:

Advice to the Sealorn, Herb Payson

and

Sensible Crusing (The Thoreau Approach), Casey & Hackler

Lots of tips on preparations. Though, an underlying current in both is JUST GO!

I keep going back to these two for just weekending & week-long cruises for good ideas.

Bravo and enjoy!
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 10-15-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Thanks all... we need some work done to our boat before we can head to FL, the Bahamas and beyond. We have an issue with some oxidation of iron ballast under the floorboards and its pushing the boards up. A few of the boards plus our starboard water tank need to be removed, the ballast ground out, and everything put back together again. I figured I'd try to find someone in Annapolis to do the work. In addition, we want to get a generator and A/C installed, plus a trysail and track (plus a bunch of other things we can do ourselves), so it may be until the end of December in Annapolis. We have a Webasto and will just have to deal with the occasional snow

I have no idea what the itinerary is yet . We just know we're going, and we're going south. We'll have from December of 2008 through August of 2010, if everything goes OK with my business.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-15-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Thanks Jim... I'll order it tonight. Now I have to tell Dutch Wharf I'm leaving before they even haul me .
Old 10-15-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
LAbatt,

Great! Which boat are you embarking in? The Passport, or did something come together on the Hallberg Rassy?

I agree with Cam that some early southing will be good, but I think you'll be okay on the Chesapeake right through Thanksgiving -- provided you choose your windows. There are many beautiful days for sailing in November -- it's just that they rarely fall on weekends! Stay put for the gales and you should be fine.

Best of luck.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...do you NEED to be in Annapolis with it? Good work and work ethic in Deltaville for cheaper $$.
Full cockpit enclosure might be nice for the trip south if you don't already have one. We were toastie in ours when we left in late Nov. from the Bay.

I will assume you are not gonna sail around Hatteras in December so take the alternate ICW and stop by if you get a chance when passing through NC.
Old 10-16-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Now is around the time that we'll be picking up some books and doing research on where we can and can't go and when. I expected to have time to plan our routes, and they were originally supposed to originate on the St. Lawrence Seaway. I don't see that happening in December . For example, I'm guessing sailing around Hatteras in December is a bad thing . Any recommendations on where to research and/or what to buy to tell me when we can go where?

John - we'll be going on our Passport 40. We decided that we can get by with it. We won't have all the luxuries, like a watermaker or tons of storage (with 4 of us on board), but we can go now. We will be LEAVING Connecticut the first week of December, so we expect to be pretty cold. We'll put up with it in order to start earlier. Our other option would be to wait until July of 2009, and we'd rather freeze for a few weeks than wait 8 extra months.

Cam - we don't have to be in Annapolis, but I know a number of skilled workers there to do the work on our boat. I'm assuming Deltaville would be a bit warmer? We have a full cockpit enclosure, but it doesn't completely seal (there were some bimini modifications done by the prior owner and they never "updated" the enclosure). It's on our list of items to get worked on. We have a long list of things that need doing, and we expect to spend a month wherever we get the work done.
Old 10-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Go to Deltaville... save some boat bucks.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-16-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have no idea what the itinerary is yet
Worst decision I ever made in a sailboat was to follow an itinerary. We were short on time due to a delay and made a cut diagonally across Lake Ontario. Got punched with a squall and thunderstorm six hours from Oswego and had a wild ride. The mast was down as we were planning on taking the canal to the NYS Barge Canal & from there to Cayuga Lake. We were punching into west to east seas trying to fight southwest, surfing down the backside of waves to make southward way and turning to face every third wave that was larger and that were burying us up the the shrouds when we bottomed out in the troughs and stalling our forward motion . . . and then the mast worked loose in the crutches. We'd been driven down into the region of shallow Mexico Bay as we couldn't make headway westward and I was running out of lake to the south. And because the lake was shallowing near the bay the waves were building and breaking even worse. By now I'm wet, cold, dead tired and even the adrenaline has run out. At this point I'm thinking "I really screwed the pooch this time" and knew we were in trouble.

We anchored (there were no protected spots in the SE corner of Ontario) maybe five miles downwind from Oswego, our destination, long enough to re-secure the mast well and for everyone to throw up over the side and it was a slamming, pounding tug-or-war. In just 20 minutes showing chafe wear on or 5/8" rode at the fairlead, and much worse than running with it, so we raised anchor.

I said "screw the schedule" and ran downwind - calling ahead for a marina that could accomidate us (most on the charts showed too shallow). We ended up backtracking 15 miles downwind and surfing into the Salmon River at Selkirk with following waves that were breaking halfway up the 20 ft Selkirk Light. The marina harbors a fishing fleet of charter powerboats and the harbormaster said "When you enter the breakeater it's narrow so you'll have to punch it to keep off the downwind rocks". I radioed back on our RAM mike "I'm already flat out at 7.1 knots. There's no "punch" left!"

Every time I watch "The Perfect Storm" where they turn the boat I am reminded of the thrill and fear of maneuvering sideways through waves breaking over us. They might have been small by ocean standards but they were stacked up close together. Standing at the helm of our Catalina 34 they were another six or eight feet over my head, though only two boat-lengths apart, and looked plenty large to me! It's a weird feeling being in a hole that deep with all that water above you.

My chest was black & blue for a month from where I had repeatedly hit the wheel; from when we bottomed in a trench or when a following wave pooped us.

Moral: Best to have some flexibility in your schedule.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 10-16-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Yikes...

Labatt, fair winds. I think you need Leonard for practicalities, Calder for technicalities, and Moiteissier for philosophy and attitude adjustment.

The rest can be fixed with strong ground tackle and Gosling's rum.