Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Now is around the time that we'll be picking up some books and doing research on where we can and can't go and when. I expected to have time to plan our routes, and they were originally supposed to originate on the St. Lawrence Seaway. I don't see that happening in December . For example, I'm guessing sailing around Hatteras in December is a bad thing . Any recommendations on where to research and/or what to buy to tell me when we can go where?

Cam - we don't have to be in Annapolis, but I know a number of skilled workers there to do the work on our boat. I'm assuming Deltaville would be a bit warmer? We have a full cockpit enclosure, but it doesn't completely seal (there were some bimini modifications done by the prior owner and they never "updated" the enclosure). It's on our list of items to get worked on. We have a long list of things that need doing, and we expect to spend a month wherever we get the work done.
Labatt...first Deltaville. Definitely cheaper. Good workforce with local highly skilled boat FRP , Electronics,Canvas, Carpentry, Metal Fabrication. Local westmarine. VERY quiet and FAR from anything else...perhaps a few degrees warmer than Annapolis on an average day...it is only 90 miles south. You may prefer Annapolis for an extended stay with family simply for the variety...but I would say prices for major work will run 25% higher minimum.

What I suggest you BUY for the trip south in terms of charts guides etc, and I assume you need nothing to get to the Bay having done that already.
1 Maptech Chart Kits for Norfolk to Florida and Florida/Bahamas
2. Skipper Bobs Guide to Anchorages Along the ICW
3. Dodge Guide to SE US Inlets if you plan on some "outside" hops
4. Doziers Waterway Guide Mid Atlantic and Southern Editions.
I suggest that in December you will want to stick to the ICW most of the way and CERTAINLY at least until south of Hatteras. If you drop by on your way south we can have a chalk talk and mark up your charts and guidebooks a bit!
Also you need to go online and start tracking and making notes on ICW conditions and issues from the following sites:
www.cruisersnet.net - Home
Skipper Bob
BoatUS Club House Messageboards: East Coast Alerts

That ought to keep you busy!
Old 10-16-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You can handle mail forwarding by getting a mailbox at "Mailboxes, etc..." or something similar. You leave them money for postage and they'll forward your mail at preset intervals or however you desire. If you're unsure of where or when that forwarding address might be you can have them just hold it until notified and then they'll overnight it to you as available. And they're pretty good about dumping the circulars from Cal's Car Palace.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We're probably going to go with a service such as St. Brendan's Isle Mail Scan Pro - St. Brendan's Isle - Mail Scanning Services. Your mail is sent to their facility, and for $22/month they will scan the outer envelopes of up to 40 pieces of mail ($0.25/additional piece). If you then want them to open it, they'll scan each page for 10 cents/page. You can then get your mail immediately. Any mail you want forwarded to an address they will send for a fee.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-16-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

John - we'll be going on our Passport 40. We decided that we can get by with it. We won't have all the luxuries, like a watermaker or tons of storage (with 4 of us on board), but we can go now. We will be LEAVING Connecticut the first week of December, so we expect to be pretty cold. We'll put up with it in order to start earlier. Our other option would be to wait until July of 2009, and we'd rather freeze for a few weeks than wait 8 extra months.
Labatt,

Okay, that's good news in a lot of ways, but especially in that you know the boat. It may not be as large a vessel as you'd hoped for, but plenty of families have made do with smaller boats. "You sail the boat you've got."

I remember your wife was hoping to bring her training bike(s) with her -- I wonder if you found a place to squeeze it/them aboard?

As a cyclist myself, I often wonder about that. I've figured I would probably just make do with a folding bike for limited cycling -- not the same as having the serious bike along but, I also wonder about riding in unfamiliar areas. Dealing with traffic is bad enough when you know the route, but women have additional safety concerns when they're 20-30 miles out in an unfamiliar area....

P.S. That December trip down the Jersey coast will need to be timed VERY carefully. Would you consider bringing along an extra crew for that leg? Edit: Or maybe getting the boat moved down to Annapolis before then? I'd sure like to see the boat situated in the Chesapeake well before Thanksgiving, sooner even. Jersey coast with the family in December worries me a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-16-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added "EDIT"
Old 10-16-2008
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
Completely Jealous, wish I could be announcing the same thing.

Good Luck and enjoy every minute.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Old 10-16-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
What he said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Yikes...

Labatt, fair winds. I think you need Leonard for practicalities, Calder for technicalities, and Moiteissier for philosophy and attitude adjustment.

The rest can be fixed with strong ground tackle and Gosling's rum.
Chris, congratulations on the decision. I am sure you will have a great time.

Bruce
Liberty Landing Marina
Old 10-16-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
John - based on your and other concern, I think we agree with you about moving the boat. It will be somewhat difficult to stage out of Annapolis since it's a good 8 hour trip from our home, but I'd prefer safety over ease. My wife and I talked about it, and she's OK with me finding some crew and moving the boat. We could stage it in Annapolis and then head south to Deltaville.

I have two options. Option one has us going from Branford CT to Cape May, offshore around the east end of Long Island and then direct to Cape May. We would then go from Cape May to Delaware City, and then to Annapolis. Total hops - 3.

Option two has us going from Branford to Jersey City, Jersey City to Atlantic City (with a stop in Manasquan). Atlantic City to Delaware City (with a stop in Cape May), and then to Annapolis. Total hops - 4, with overnights in several spots.

I'd prefer option one, but we don't have a liferaft yet (on our list, but we won't be able to install it until Annapolis or Deltaville). I'm a bit concerned about going offshore without a liferaft, and I can't see renting one and keeping it in the cockpit. Also, what's the weather like on that route the first or second weekend of November?

Also, with regards to the bike, my wife did the Lake Placid Ironman this past July and she said she's OK with not bringing her bike, so we don't have to worry about it
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-16-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
I am not real big on the smaller ocean inlets because so much timing is involved in a safe time to enter

You can go in the Sound a lot safer and just time the NYC current right and miss a lot of the open water

I only have race exp and would not crew on a boat without a lifeaft or survial suits, most of the long races are in the spring and fall because the wind is so much better which sets up a bit of a beating on crew and most of this trip is going to be dead into the wind

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 10-16-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

I think that is a wise plan, all things considered.

Given that you do not yet have the liferaft, and even if you did have it but given the time of year, I would counsel Option 2 (the "inside" passage). One measly extra day to play it safe. And playing it safe is a good way to start this epic journey of yours.

First or second week in November could be decent, even nice, or could be horrific -- all depends on what's brewing out there. The weather window will be key. It's the stretch from Sandy Hook down to Cape May that is especially tricky. Maybe Bubb2 could chime in with his insights?

Once you're in the Chesapeake you're golden.

P.S. Congrats to your wife -- she's tougher than me!

Quote:
John - based on your and other concern, I think we agree with you about moving the boat. It will be somewhat difficult to stage out of Annapolis since it's a good 8 hour trip from our home, but I'd prefer safety over ease. My wife and I talked about it, and she's OK with me finding some crew and moving the boat. We could stage it in Annapolis and then head south to Deltaville.

I have two options. Option one has us going from Branford CT to Cape May, offshore around the east end of Long Island and then direct to Cape May. We would then go from Cape May to Delaware City, and then to Annapolis. Total hops - 3.

Option two has us going from Branford to Jersey City, Jersey City to Atlantic City (with a stop in Manasquan). Atlantic City to Delaware City (with a stop in Cape May), and then to Annapolis. Total hops - 4, with overnights in several spots.

I'd prefer option one, but we don't have a liferaft yet (on our list, but we won't be able to install it until Annapolis or Deltaville). I'm a bit concerned about going offshore without a liferaft, and I can't see renting one and keeping it in the cockpit. Also, what's the weather like on that route the first or second weekend of November?

Also, with regards to the bike, my wife did the Lake Placid Ironman this past July and she said she's OK with not bringing her bike, so we don't have to worry about it

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-16-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Chris - strongly suggest Branford to East River to Cape May. You avoid strong SWerly's and have the options of harbors on LI Sound, NYC, Sandy Hook and - except in strong easterlies - Manasquam, Atlantic City and Cape May. I can give you insight on Delaware Bay and CD Canal if you'd like PM's on this. Also, once you know your dates - give me a PM as depending on schedules, I might be able to crew for a bit or all of this with you.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven