Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...you've done the Jersey Coastal hop before. I would not hesitate to take the boat in early November on a benign forcast from Montauk or Greenport to Cape May. Branford gets a bit dicier due to the length of the forcast reliability. You could always leave Branford for Greenport on a good longterm forcast...then do a thorogh forcast check when at Greenport and either keep going or stay put. It will take 2 days to Cape May. This assumes you and one othe competent crew...but I am concerned about the lack of liferaft. I'd rent a bag model OR BUY a bag model and convert it into a container model once in Annapolis. (We did this in Norfolk and got a good deal on a used container!) Give these guys a buzz..they often have used but reconditioned and packed and serviced rafts for sale in addition to new ones. USA Services, Inc.

The other choice is down the East River and Jersey Coast...but you could do this as a passage rather than hops as you did with the family. You could make a go-nogo decision at Sandy Hook based on the lates forcast and 24 hours later be in Cape May. That is what I would do at this time of year if I had one or two good crew with me.
Old 10-16-2008
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I could not agree with Cam more. Being one who has done it. If you need help let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Yes to Bubb and to Cam - my assumption was that Chris had a reason to hop down NJ. We have always done it with enough crew to do it in a passage of 36/42 hours or so to/from Jersey City or Martha's Vineyard to/from Annapolis/St Michael's. If you can do it this way, it lets you take advantage of a consistent weather window and offers Cape May to duck into if the Delaware Bay looks crappy (which it can be anytime and esp. in Nov/Dec.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 10-16-2008
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I Left upstate NY the second week in October 2007 w/ my family on a 32' and a woodstove aboard. Spent Halloween in Barnaget Light,NJ. (my 3 year old Loved it !)
The jersey coast was OK except for the 4 days in Brigadoon hiding from Noel.
However the Delaware was no fun either time w/ 8-10 ftrs. each way ! at least on the southern trip they were following ! the gps showed 12.5 over ground)
a Few bad weather choices leaving the Solomons in the chesapeake other than that a great trip, I can't wait to do it again.
When you come through Daytona , drop me a line and I'll give you and crew a ride around town to re-stock the cupboards and trade tales.
I wouldn't sweat the small stuff, just go ,earlier the better, take yor time and enjoy it.
Old 10-16-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Congrats!!!

I hope to join you in a few years. Keep us posted on your first time experiences.
Old 10-16-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Does anyone have an itemized list of "to-do items" when leaving to go cruising?

Thanks!!
Bring fishing gear, chips, beer, rum, cigars & money to restock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 10-16-2008
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
Jealous

Congrats on the accelerated schedule. Your actions will keep my dreams alive...

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Old 10-17-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I was looking forward to an "offshore" trip, but I think y'all are probably right - safety is more important than saving a day. In addition to not having a liferaft, I also don't have a ditch bag (it's on the list), so it's best to be safe. I'll just follow in my footsteps of bringing the boat up from Annapolis.

My current thinking is to get the boat closer to the East River before Nov 1 so we can make the ebb current through. Ebb starts at Hell Gate around 12:51 on the 1st and runs through about 7:12pm, but I don't want to hit it right at the start, so we need to be at City Island by 12:45ish to be through Hell Gate at 2-2:30ish. I would need to leave Branford at 4am if this was the case, so I'd like to move the boat closer. Cost is, of course, an issue, as I'm going to have to take transient dockage for quite some time (during the week) and will have to budget for it.

So, we'll arrive in NYC on the afternoon of the 1st, and then go from NYC to Manasquan on the 2nd. On the 8th, we'd go from Manasquan to Atlantic City and the 9th we'd do Atlantic City to Cape May. On the 15th we'd do Cape May to Delaware City and then finish in Annapolis on the 16th.

On the other hand, as Jim said, we could also do it as a passage. The thought of running through the Delaware and the C&D Canal at night is a bit concerning to me though. It would save a lot of money in transient fees though.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-17-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Look us up when you're in Annapolis! We'll trade you a drive to the grocery store/West Marine for some good sea stories.
Old 10-17-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
I'm going to have many questions over the next few weeks, but I'd like to start out with a big one. Does anyone have an itemized list of "to-do items" when leaving to go cruising? For example, mail forwarding, bank accounts, house stuff, kids schooling, etc.?

Thanks!!
Not an itemized list, but a few things to think about, to get you started: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...-cruisers.html

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.