Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

This is the sort of weather I worrried about (see link below) when you were considering taking the off-shore route. Even the coastal route is dicey this time of year. Watch the weather window carefully.

How's the planning coming?

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/651/236966/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I just saw the thread and I can't say that it makes me more comfortable about moving Pelican in November. We're most definitely taking the inside route, regardless of the weather forecast. Unfortunately, if something isn't predicted, even trying to duck into Manasquan, Atlantic City or Cape May in foul weather is a difficult option, but it's better than nothing.

The planning is insane. We're trying to compress what people normally prepare for over a several year period into 4 weeks. It's taking a toll on our family for the moment (stress and temper-wise) but we all know what the reward is. Between homeschooling, medical and dental visits (and now a big problem we're having with our son that was discovered at a dentists visit - he needs to have some orthodontist type work and nobody wants to do it since we're leaving), selling stuff, renting our house, outfitting our boat, getting major work done to it where it currently is (an oxidized ballast issue), business transition stuff, packing, etc. life is very insane!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-30-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
When the dust (or spray) has settled, I'd love to hear how your house rental plan came together. Until then, fair winds and try to avoid schedules.
Old 10-30-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

Sounds like you've got a good plan there. Glad to hear about all the help you'll have. Must be hectic right now, but once you hit the Chessie, you'll be home free -- you can take a load off and pace yourself a bit.

I'll be out sailing with some of my brothers and my Dad, Nov 7-11. If you make it to Annapolis by the 11th, we might just see you there! - JRP

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-30-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Labatt, I tried going south last year at about this time (started Oct. 20th or so). I have to say that it was cold and parts of ICW in North Carolina ranged from unfriendly to downright scary. I had no kids on board at that point but if I did - I'd be really not happy.

That said, I met people that sailed with kids down ICW - the key was taking their sweet time. They'd get one day of sailing to 3-4 days of sitting in a marina waiting. That's the only way during this time of year, I think.

Also, having a heater on board that can keep you toasty in a marina and at anchor is very important (I didn't).

How old are your children?
Old 10-31-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Once we're on our boat in Annapolis, there is no time schedule. Everything will be weather permitting. I ordered a Rocna 25 (55lbs) so I can sleep well at night. We have a Webasto diesel forced air heater on board, and it can get the interior temp to over 100 degrees. I'm more concerned about getting snow and ice on our teak decks - the thyocol needs replacing. We'll be more than happy to spend as long as we need to in order to have safe hops. Our kids are 7 and 11 - the ages should be perfect for cruising. They are both really excited to get going! I'm really hoping we get to Annapolis since we're hoping to have a generator and A/C installed, plus a trysail and track and a renewal on our sails between when we drop her off and December 1st. If the weather doesn't cooperate, we just won't make it. We're not going to push our luck. Being from upstate NY, we don't mind getting cold, but we do mind gale force winds and/or large waves with short periods.

With regards to our house rental, we're contracting with a local real estate agent to find a renter, qualify them, and get them in. My parents-in-law will be dealing with the maintenance of the house while we're gone. The agency is charging one months rent for their service, but we're using the same agent that sold us the house and she was awesome! Supposedly, the rental market is a good one right now since mortgages aren't as easy to get.

We'll post our plans and progress here as we go. I'd love to meet and greet many of the people here when we arrive in Annapolis. I have yet to figure out where we'll be keeping Pelican while the work is done, but there may be a couple of cheaper marinas (relatively speaking) on the Eastport side of the creek.
Old 10-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

Good choice on the anchor... You do have a windlass though, right... Can't imagine trying to haul that monster up with 40+ lbs. of bottom on it by hand.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-31-2008
I'd rather be sailing

SD - We have a manual windlass, and my wife did an IronMan over the Summer. I offered to get an electric windlass but she refused. We'll see what happens after we have to do a few sets in a row...
Old 10-31-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Well, good luck with your trip! I certainly envy you May be when my kids grow up a bit more we'll try again.

BTW, if I were looking for a place to do any work on the boat, I'd go for Zahnisers in Solomons, rather than anything in Annapolis itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Once we're on our boat in Annapolis, there is no time schedule.
Old 10-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL...she's probably in better shape than you are...
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
SD - We have a manual windlass, and my wife did an IronMan over the Summer. I offered to get an electric windlass but she refused. We'll see what happens after we have to do a few sets in a row...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.