Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
That's a great plan, having her friends go for a sail.

I wonder, with inflation where it could be this year, it may be wise to hold onto our sailboats. At least you can keep using them. And they aren't made of paper (with pictures of Presidents on them) that can have questionable value.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I reckon the volume builders are not seeing a lot of volume and will forego profit for turnover. Their fixed costs are not reducing because of a market crash.

So the price of new boats will become very negotiable and used boat prices will probably take a beating. But I agree with an earlier post, older boats 15yrs+ will not shift much unless there are financially desperate owners out there. But then again, with the sub-prime crisis in the US, there may be a whole heap of mortgagees who could be getting desperate :-(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-20-2008

L124C is on a distinguished road
This thread reminds me of an lesson I learned about boat value. I was interested in buying a boat that had a new Yanmar, was structurally sound, had a good sail inventory, but needed a lot of work. The motor alone was worth the asking price of 15k. I found that asking prices for comparable boats in "good condition" ranged from around 80k to 150k. I figured, I can buy the boat for 15k, put about 30k, and a lot of work into it, and have a 80k boat! The surveyor and I had been going over the boat for about an hour, when he put his clipboard down, looked me in the eye and asked me what my objective was in buying this boat. He pointed out that his list of selling prices (BUC, etc.) for comparable boats in fair to good condition indicated the boats were selling for around 35k. He said, "you can invest 45k, and a lot of hard work, and have a boat worth 35k, or you can buy one for 35k without the work". Point made, survey over! I now realize that this boat was a flotation device for a nice motor! Very sad really. Many owners and brokers have inflated ideas of what their boats are worth. Find out what boats are actually selling for before wasting too much time and money on a deal.
Old 10-21-2008

stroudw is on a distinguished road
L124C,
I remember reading an article in one of the sailing magazines about a guy who hired a yard to convert an old Pearson Triton into a day sailor. They did a gorgeous job and the finished product was beautiful. The owner said it cost about as much as buying a new boat of similar dimension. So, how will this boat list on Yacht World when the owner decides to sell? "1962 Pearson Triton, modifed to knowledgable owners specifications by reputable yard. Offered at $85,000."
Old 10-21-2008

northbay is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, my two cents, brand has a lot to do with the price one will get or pay for a boat, i.e. when one is attempting to sell a Catalina or Hunter there are so many to select from that the price is open. On the other hand a Tartan or Sabre will tend to hold a price as there are not many on the market.

One also needs to look at general market for boats. We are a sailing school and charter company. In any given year we see many folks planning to live the dream of moving aboard. This trend continues but for different reasons, now to lower costs/down size vs. the adventure of it all.

Potential live aboards were looking to take their land accomodations with them, now they're tending to down size their expectations. But they are finding that tough to do with older boats as they lack things like tankage, refrig, and overall volum/space down below. They're between a rock and hard place; can't afford big and they can't live on small (38 and below). Add the loss of discretionary income and you WILL see prices taking a hit across the board. Not as many are willing to spend the money for a boat that can be sailed only on short trips and others can't afford the big $$$ that will give them live aboard comfort and over the horizon adventure.

Things have changed from the time when we first started sailing (35 years). Peoples expectations have also. Our culture wants more and they are less willing to take the trade offs. It's a new world. Why else would we be so willing to redistribute the wealth, if we didn't expect to get something for nothing.

Sail on sailor.
Old 10-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IIRC, this boat was sold, for a pretty decent price, and there have been further orders for similar conversions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroudw View Post
L124C,
I remember reading an article in one of the sailing magazines about a guy who hired a yard to convert an old Pearson Triton into a day sailor. They did a gorgeous job and the finished product was beautiful. The owner said it cost about as much as buying a new boat of similar dimension. So, how will this boat list on Yacht World when the owner decides to sell? "1962 Pearson Triton, modifed to knowledgable owners specifications by reputable yard. Offered at $85,000."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-21-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
For what it's worth, my two cents, brand has a lot to do with the price one will get or pay for a boat, i.e. when one is attempting to sell a Catalina or Hunter there are so many to select from that the price is open. On the other hand a Tartan or Sabre will tend to hold a price as there are not many on the market.

Sail on sailor.
On the other hand, Catalina's, Beneteau's and Hunters are well known and generally well regarded for their intended purpose, so the market for them may be larger as well. It seems to me that a lot of folks will look to step up within whatever brand they started with. Several folks in my marina are on their second or third Hunter.

Keeping your boat cleaner and better maintained is probably the key to making sure your production boat is the first among its peers to sell.
Old 10-21-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Buyer's perspective

Interesting that you should be following the Pearson 36-2. I have been looking at the same boats, from a buying perspective for over two years. There always seem to be about 10-15 of them in YW at any one time.

Prices of boats that I have looked at have ranged from $50K to $84K, excluding a couple of dreamers. There is one boat that I have not seen, listed for $97K for over two years (since before I started looking). Maybe it is pristine... maybe it is gold plated, but it is not selling... And, at that asking price I'm not even looking...

Yes, I too have noticed that the prices in YW are holding steady. However, every time that I have looked at a boat this year, the broker has politely encouraged me to make an offer. Last year the price was the price. I suspect that there is some softness in the demand side of the market, and the brokers know this. They get paid when the boat is sold.

I have not bit the bullet yet because, my boat bucks were invested in mutual funds , and every Pearson 36-2 that I have looked at has had a moisture problem (particularly on the port side near the stanchions), and I'm not looking to buy a deck re-core project. (The $84K boat was a real doozy - it was a later year boat that had run aground in a hurricane, and then been poorly repaired!) Also, many of these boats have been sorely neglected (one broker threw out all the cushions because of the mold, and hired a cleaner to go through the boat before I saw it. That boat was still a mess.)

I suspect that a well maintained boat would sell quickly, if realistically priced.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 10-21-2008

northbay is on a distinguished road
For the most part once in a Hunter it's hard to redirect to another make... for the most part. I agree a well maintained boat is the best way to obtain the best price.

We have a couple of Catalina's that have been for sale for going on two years. We also had a Tartan that sold in three weeks. Not a scientific test but based on other dealers in the East it would seem so, the more mass produced boats, not that Tartan such not be considered massed produced, are moving more slowly and not getting the asking price. Just my two cents.
Old 10-21-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

I have not bit the bullet yet because, my boat bucks were invested in mutual funds
Go ahead an bite that bullet eherlihy....for the first time in humanity boats have outperformed mutual funds as an investment over the last month or two!!!! Invest in sailboats for the Long Term.