Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Duckwheat-

Your thread, among others, prompted me to write about Boat Inspection Trips... you might want to read the thread located HERE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2008

RocketScience is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link and that in depth post!
Old 10-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
RS-

glad to help

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-26-2008
Beneteau First 435E

nparadis5476 is on a distinguished road
I definitely agree that the good surveyors are usually booked way out….that’s a problem because the seller’s broker wants you to make a decision…the ones that are available next week are usually no good.

Additional piece of advice – ask to see a previous survey. Check for the amount of boat specific detail. If it is mostly word processed boiler plate – especially generic denials of responsibility for engine, rig, etc – find someone else…an especially good sign are full equipment lists with state of wear.

While I agree that you need to use one, I also agree that you need to be your own best surveyor. Use the time that the professional is busy to stick you head in every nook and cranny…see what you can find on your own. Assume that anything that looks iffy is a problem that will cost thousands.

We recently had a poor experience with a well known surveyor working out of the Jabins yard in Annapolis. He didn’t find anything I hadn’t found, and he really didn’t help in estimating costs for the refit. (It turns out that re-doing the headliner in a Beneteau 43 is a about a $15,000 cost…he let the broker get by with a claim it could be done for 2 to 3 thousand..)
Old 12-26-2008

cruiserdave is on a distinguished road
Get a Survey!

Our boat is a 1986 that we have had for 12 years. Life got in the way a few times and we got behind in routine maintinence. Last Thanksgiving my wife suggested taking a year's cruise. Time to refit. We know this boat inside and out. Thought we knew all her "quirks". Since we had to have a survey for insurance purposes I decided to have one done before we started the refit. I asked around and found someone I felt confident in. He was pleased that I wanted to be there for the survey. I asked him to be hard on me. Find every problem he could. As the survey progressed he pointed things out and I asked alot of questions, pointing things out also. I also took notes through-out. He was full of knowledge, explained what I needed to do to bring up to ABYC standards and also what the insurance company would be looking for. He found a few larger issues I hadn't seen myself. We discussed problems that I thought existed... some he considered important, some were just age.

Due to the market condition and time of year I only had to wait about 2 weeks. I recieved a detailed report a few days after the survey, first by e-mail then snail mail. The report went into detail as to the existing problems and went on to suggest possible remedies. The surveyor has also been answering my questions since the survey.

Did he find everything, no. Did he identify the major issues, I believe so. I believe you should spend time going through the boat and equipment yourself first to familiarize yourself with the boat. Then have the surveyor in. ASK QUESTIONS!!!!! A survey is a team effort. Expect the surveyor to give you an accurate opinion as to the general condition of the boat and the systems as they are. Don't expect absolute perfection, do expect tthe surveyorto be professional and spend enough time with you and the boat to be through. My two cents.