Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
PNW winters

I have dreamed of cruising the Pacific Northwest ever since I got into sailing, some 13 years ago. I felt just chartering(in 'Gods Country') for a week could in no way do the area any justice. Now that I (and the Admiral) have retired, I've compromised buying a full blown "cruiser" by buying a lightly used 1996 25' Hake Seaward trailer sailer with this intention. Although the timing is a little off , I'm champing at the bit but will probably have to wait for the spring season to realize the dream. RATS!

The boat is in the water at a private condo dock on the Southwest corner of Lake Washington.(just a little south of Mercer Island's tip, on the West shore of the lake). The PO is paying $225 a mo. (good price?)and it looks like the slip is well protected(Google Earth) in all but winds from the E-NE. I think it a good location to base out of. Any thoughts?

My questions: 1) Given winter conditions of this area, should I leave the boat in the water slipped or put the boat on it's trailer (hopefully with mast up, sans sails) at a marina for storage until the spring sailing season?
2) Is this an area that experiences high wind storms, and should I winterize the boat and diesel. (10 hp Yanmar with raw water cooling)?
3) If I need to pull the boat, is there a recommended marina at the south end of the lake, or near the LW canal exit into Puget Sound? (looking for somewhere close to the dock, only for convenience)
4) I would also like to pull the sails for cleaning and possible repair for the upcoming season, so if there is a recommended loft in the area, I'd appreciate that info as well.
5&6) Looking past the boat preparation, what are some good PNW cruising guides for the area? Am I going to run into current problems given my massive 10 hp diesel?
7) Finally, is cruising to say... Albert Bay/Knight Inlet doable or foolhardy in a 25' boat once prepared?
I've a hundred more, but.....
We are going to be in Seattle Wednesday to finalize everything and to do what's necessary to secure the boat, so some 'heads up' would be much appreciated.....Thanks, Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
You are definitely getting a good price on the slip.

If you are needing to pull the boat for repairs - I recommend CSR Marine (Ballard Locks Location _ commodore Drive location). Top notch individuals and the only place I will drop my boat at to do work myself or have work performed.

Quantum Sails (see their website for loft) is probably one of the quickest places to have sails cleaned and repaired. Although I think all lofts ship the sails off for actual cleaning but they do quick turn arounds for sail repair sometimes same day..

I think you will be fine keeping the boat in the water. Winters are not typically harsh here and below freezing temps usually do not last but a day or two. I kept my C-27 in the water and never had an issue and I never winterized (but - if you are not going to be able to be on the boat - might be prudent to winterize).

Tides are an issue out in the sound. Especially around Vashon, Admirately inlet and the straits. Even with a 23 hp diesel I have been slowed to a crawl.

Stop into any of the marina's or Fisheries Supply (which will be close by you) there is a slew of cruising guides available. I can't recall what I have on hand on the boat - but there are about 10-15 that target the area in general and many more that target specific regions.

Welcome to the PNW btw...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-19-2008

Jody,

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I was hoping for that answer on keeping the boat in the water, the slip is paid up 'til February '09, so that IS encouraging. Once I've seen the layout of things, hopefully I'll feel better about leaving it at the dock. If not, I'll pull it until spring. Hope to get a years contract on the dockage as well.

Got your info in my little black boat book, thanks again....Bob
Old 10-19-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hi Bob, Welcome to Sailnet and the PNW. I am not familiar with your boat, but cruising in the Puget Sound/BC area should be doable if you keep a close watch on the weather and limit your cruising to the better months (May - Sept with July and Aug. the best). I bought a bunch of charts from a couple that had been to Alaska several times and the Q. Chars. in a 30' so it can be done. We normally have either too little wind, or too much in summer so you will use the engine, but 10hp in a 25' should move you at hull speed so you'll be OK. You have to pay attention to the currents, especially if you are going through any rapids which can ordinarily only be done at slack. I would recommend Waggonners cruising guide and getting current guides for both WA and BC. Armchair Sailor in Seattle has everything, and more, that you will need. I have to disagree with Jody on the winterizing, we can get temps in the teens for a week or more at a time in Seattle/Bellevue and single digits once in a great while so I would rather be safe than sorry. We also get about 2-4 wind storms each winter with gusts 50-60, so make sure you have good stout lines and chafe protection. That is a pretty protected area you are in, we have a slip across the lake from you on the eastside. The storms usually are from the SW with the cold blasts from Canada from the N to NE. The only disadvantage to where you are located is the three hour trip to get in/out of the locks which is almost all motoring and bridges to open,( you might be low enough to scoot under all but the Fremont) but it is nice to be in fresh water to clean the bottom. Once you are in the salt it's about 60NM to the San Juans which if you use a big tidal change to your advantage can be done in one day, but there are lot's of places to spend the night if you aren't in a hurry. You might decide to look for a slip in Anacortes or Bellingham so you are only 10-12NM from the islands, slips are cheaper too.

You're going to love it here, one lifetime isn't long enough to explore everywhere.

Hope to see you out there, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Hi Bob, Welcome to Sailnet and the PNW.
You're going to love it here, one lifetime isn't long enough to explore everywhere.
Yes! From what I've seen, my dream of cruising the PNW is a noble one I think. Thanks for the info and welcome John. No name for the boat as yet, so just look for the little boat motoring backward with bow to the current next spring! ...Bob
Old 10-20-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You should NOT have any issues with storing your boat where you do. N-NE winds are usually during dry spells, and rarely is the wind above 20-25knots. Now out of the S-SW, you can get them into the 80's during the everyother year worst case scenerio storm around here.

You may or may not want to winterize the water system. We do get week to two weeks at a time where it might stay below 32F for the whole time, but usually mid 20's at night, just above freezing during the day. As mentioned, if you will be around, worry to not worry, If not around, do so, and you will sleep better in Fl. I have yet in 15 yrs of owning boats and RV's to winterize per say these items. But I do leave the heat on.

Not much else to add.

Enjoy the time here in the NW.

marty
Old 10-20-2008

Hey Marty

Yeah, not being around for extended times is a concern for me. And I think I will do what can be done to winterize the engine and drain the water system. Thankfully, the boats systems are simple. I'll wait to see the circumstances to make the decision whether I should pull and store the boat on it's trailer. This boating thing is just chocked full of compromises....but I think the PNW is WELL worth everyone of 'em! Thanks...Bob
Old 10-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Don't know if I could actually do the "long distance" ownership thing.. I like to check the boat twice a week at least esp in winter.

For long absences I think winterizing is a good idea, more so if the boat is stored on the hard. The warming effect of the water usually deals with the few short-lived cold snaps we get up here now and then so we don't bother to winterize to that degree. But we also tend to use the boat year round too.

Don't forget to include BC in your plans.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-20-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Don't know if I could actually do the "long distance" ownership thing.. I like to check the boat twice a week at least esp in winter.

For long absences I think winterizing is a good idea, more so if the boat is stored on the hard. The warming effect of the water usually deals with the few short-lived cold snaps we get up here now and then so we don't bother to winterize to that degree. But we also tend to use the boat year round too.

Don't forget to include BC in your plans.
BC inclusion....absolutely! Thanks, Bob
Old 10-20-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I am guessing you are in a slip with one of the condo's along Rainer or Renton Ave that traverses the south side of the lake from Seattle to Renton? Should stay pretty calm there over all no matter the weather and wind.

Go ahead and winterize, if you come up for a sail, then unwnterize the motor, leave teh water out of the water tank etc, and you will/should be fine. Some winters it is rarely below freezing around here, others......well, not fun for this area.

As also mentioned, there are lots of places to see and sail around here. I also am recalling a YC near you, Rainer beach YC. Also to the north a bit on LW is Maydenbauer bay, and newport YC just south of I90. If you are looking for close by YC's to join etc.

LW s a fun lake to learn to sail or just plain sail on. I grew up tween Kirkland and Juanita bay sailing north of 520 as a teen. Every once in awhile, the wind would kick up, and my step dad and I would sail from Kirkland around MI and back home. Did that once with winds in the 15-25 range, what a sail back to Kirkland!

Enjoy your time here.

marty