Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Tomorrow my baby gets hauled out. Thus endeth my second season of sailing.

I am already feeling depressed by the prospect of 6 - 7 months of being stuck on the hard.

I wish someone had told me how tough it is. This sailing thing gets under your skin in a big way.

Does it get any easier? Do you 'old salts' still feel these pangs of emptiness when the tension increases on the travel lift straps and the last of the season's waters stream from the tip of your keel?

Tomorrow I will be a wreck. I'll have to drown my sorrows with a dram or 2 of Lagavulin.

Sorry to bring you down.

Ach Lad, I'll join yea in a dram or 2. We come out next Tues. I'm headed up this weekend to winterize all the wet oarts and then the weekend after to tuck her in. Pushed as long as possible and went out to Methodist Bay last weekend. It was warm zipped up inside our enclosure and midly cool overnight. Bouns was having the bay to ourselves. Sunday saw a few boats out sailing with S 8 - 10 knots, but we had just pulled the sails down that morning at anchor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
My (then) 10 year old bought a 7' Ensign sailig dinghy last January. I taught him for 4 weekends then soloed him in February. Would have been 3 weekends, but one of the days had the winds CRANKING, and it was time for a high wind lesson. THen every weekend after that (Or during the week if there were conflicts, we wnet sailing. We had to clear a path through snow and one time even had to break the ice near shore -- that we a trip to PA.

If you miss sailing, get a small, trailerable sailboat, some warm clothes (or wetsuit with a few gallons of hot water in the car for after you come back ashore) and a hot drink in a thermos.

Then.. go sailing!!

Bring a friend or two, the kids, whoever. Take pictures and post them here or send to others.
Old 10-21-2008

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
Ach Lad, I'll join yea in a dram or 2. We come out next Tues. I'm headed up this weekend to winterize all the wet oarts and then the weekend after to tuck her in. Pushed as long as possible and went out to Methodist Bay last weekend. It was warm zipped up inside our enclosure and midly cool overnight. Bouns was having the bay to ourselves. Sunday saw a few boats out sailing with S 8 - 10 knots, but we had just pulled the sails down that morning at anchor.
I was one of the ones you may have seen on Sunday. (I sail out of Doral).
Even though the winds were not strong, they seemed to be moving around a lot, especially at the mouth of Midland Bay. They also surprised me a couple of times and knocked me past 45 degrees. My poor, enduring wife has a nasty bruise to show for it. We got back to the dock at around 3:00 and took down the sails and pressure washed. We tried to sail a bit on Saturday, but the wind didn't oblige for long.

Last weekend (Thanksgiving) was fantastic (there were even mosquitoes out!), but dead-calm. We anchored out at Lost Bay from Saturday 'til Monday. I'll post some pics if I can see my keyboard through the tears.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 10-21-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
Sorry but...

Forecast for Houston, TX (77023)

10-Day Forecast NEW: Larger Radar Maps & No Ads

High /
Low (°F) Precip. %
Tonight
Oct 21 Mostly Clear 63° 20 %
Wed
Oct 22 Partly Cloudy 83°/56° 20 %
Thu
Oct 23 Partly Cloudy 71°/49° 10 %
Fri
Oct 24 Sunny 76°/48° 20 %
Sat
Oct 25 Sunny 75°/52° 20 %
Sun
Oct 26 Sunny 77°/55° 10 %
Mon
Oct 27 Sunny 75°/53° 20 %
Tue
Oct 28 Sunny 76°/55° 0 %
Wed
Oct 29 Sunny 77°/59° 10 %
Thu
Oct 30 Partly Cloudy 77°/58° 20 %
Last Updated Oct 21 05:18 p.m. CT

Michael
Hull #15
Old 10-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
My (then) 10 year old bought a 7' Ensign sailig dinghy last January. I taught him for 4 weekends then soloed him in February. Would have been 3 weekends, but one of the days had the winds CRANKING, and it was time for a high wind lesson. THen every weekend after that (Or during the week if there were conflicts, we wnet sailing. We had to clear a path through snow and one time even had to break the ice near shore -- that we a trip to PA.

If you miss sailing, get a small, trailerable sailboat, some warm clothes (or wetsuit with a few gallons of hot water in the car for after you come back ashore) and a hot drink in a thermos.

Then.. go sailing!!

Bring a friend or two, the kids, whoever. Take pictures and post them here or send to others.
That sounds like fun to me, but I think the Ski-Do'ers who use the lake in the winter would be a bit put out. Besides I would need some serious retrofitting to make my boat ice-worthy. I have visions of a Shackletonesque episode with Northern Lights in place of Endurance.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 10-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLnghrn View Post
Forecast for Houston, TX (77023)

10-Day Forecast NEW: Larger Radar Maps & No Ads

High /
Low (°F) Precip. %
Tonight
Oct 21 Mostly Clear 63° 20 %
Wed
Oct 22 Partly Cloudy 83°/56° 20 %
Thu
Oct 23 Partly Cloudy 71°/49° 10 %
Fri
Oct 24 Sunny 76°/48° 20 %
Sat
Oct 25 Sunny 75°/52° 20 %
Sun
Oct 26 Sunny 77°/55° 10 %
Mon
Oct 27 Sunny 75°/53° 20 %
Tue
Oct 28 Sunny 76°/55° 0 %
Wed
Oct 29 Sunny 77°/59° 10 %
Thu
Oct 30 Partly Cloudy 77°/58° 20 %
Last Updated Oct 21 05:18 p.m. CT

Michael
With all due respect: you are a bastard!

Old 10-21-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
If I were a bastard....

I would have posted the coastal forcast

And BTW, I deserve no respect.....Just an AFOC in Training

Michael
Hull #15
Old 10-21-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That sounds like fun to me, but I think the Ski-Do'ers who use the lake in the winter would be a bit put out. Besides I would need some serious retrofitting to make my boat ice-worthy. I have visions of a Shackletonesque episode with Northern Lights in place of Endurance.
Fly --- Get an iceboat. I hear those things really move!
Old 10-21-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
hauled last Tuesday. Plenty to do over the winter. Hoping the shrink wrap will keep it reasonably comfortable until January & Febuary. Take two months off and then back at it in March.
Old 10-21-2008

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was one of the ones you may have seen on Sunday. (I sail out of Doral).
Even though the winds were not strong, they seemed to be moving around a lot, especially at the mouth of Midland Bay. They also surprised me a couple of times and knocked me past 45 degrees. My poor, enduring wife has a nasty bruise to show for it. We got back to the dock at around 3:00 and took down the sails and pressure washed. We tried to sail a bit on Saturday, but the wind didn't oblige for long.

Last weekend (Thanksgiving) was fantastic (there were even mosquitoes out!), but dead-calm. We anchored out at Lost Bay from Saturday 'til Monday. I'll post some pics if I can see my keyboard through the tears.

Passed 4 boats headed out towards Giants Tomb and a few more in outer Penetang and probaly saw you if you were down in Midland Bay.

Thanksgiving, we went from Hope Fri. night to Beckwith West Sat. to Beckwith East Sunday, staying away from the overnight wind direction. Only had 1- 5 other boats with us each night. Hard to believe we were in t-shirts and shorts only 1 weekend ago and tonight is -10 C windchill.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.