SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Freezing temps tonight... should I panic ?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/48216-freezing-temps-tonight-should-i-panic.html)

scottbr 10-21-2008 06:17 PM

Freezing temps tonight... should I panic ??

The Gales of November came early :eek:

Boats still in the water and the winds have turned unexpectantly from the north. Temps tonight are expected to go down to -5 deg. Celcius ( 23 F ) and a wind chill of -10 ( 14 F ). The Bay / lake water temps are still 12 deg ( 53 F ).

Tomorrow is expected to go to 41 F and then down to 32 Wed. night and then stay above freezing until the weekend. I was planning on winterizing this weekend.

The fresh water tank is still full and water still in the pipes and the engine is still in summer mode. Should I be panicked about anything freezing up or will the lake water temps keep the boat from freezing up. I'm 2 hours away from the boat and its 6 pm, getting dark, which would mean getting back home after midnight.

wchevron 10-21-2008 06:31 PM

you should be okay until the weekend. it's not cold enough for long enough for the tanks to completely freeze and the pipes should have enough expansion in them if the water in them freezes.

davidpm 10-21-2008 06:31 PM

Don't send me the bill but I've never seen anything freeze with a quick drop to 32.
It takes either days, a real low temp, or direct wind exposure or some combination.
So if you trust the weather report you will probably get away with it.

When you do winterize make sure it actually happens and you don't have a slush line that is not cleared out.

scottbr 10-21-2008 06:38 PM

That's kinda what I was thinking, but just needed some reinforcement to sleep better tonight. Thanks for the quick replies.

We get hauled next week and already I'm depressed.

Faster 10-21-2008 06:57 PM

The 12 degree water will go a long way to preventing anything under bunk cushions from freezing, especially short term.

Delirious 10-21-2008 10:17 PM

Agreed. It takes days below 32F (don't know about them funny units you mentioned). Wind chill matters not a nit to the inside of a boat. Fiberglass don't sweat or exude moisture (wish it did!).

The rocking motion in a slip also keeps the water molecules bumping (friction - though miniscule) and further reduces the tendency to skim over and ice up.

Valiente 10-22-2008 12:18 AM

Lake Ontario is still 13 C in the middle. Georgian Bay is cooler, but my heat pump could still get warmth from it. You're fine.

Georgian Bay - 45137 - Lake Huron - Current Conditions

Georgian Bay - 45137
11:00 PM EDT 21 October 2008Buoy position: 45.55N 81.00W
Wind (knots) NNE 23 gust 29 Pressure and tendency (kPa) 102.9 —
Wave height (m) 1.0 Air temperature (C) 4
Wave period (s) 4 Water temperature (C) 10

scottbr 10-22-2008 06:22 AM

10deg. C ?? I thought maybe the Bay was freezing overnight, until I realized you had the stats from the northern Georgian Bay buoy. Last night at 6:00 the buoy at the southern end was 13, now its 12. We're down in Penetang. See it's already started freezing. ;)

Charlie, we speak a different language up here just to confuse you south of the border. I have a hard time now, thinking that numbers that are positive are actually below freezing ie. 14 F.