SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   boating related internship (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/48220-boating-related-internship.html)

dell30rb 10-21-2008 10:50 PM

boating related internship

Hey everyone,

I'm a 21 yr. old Jr. in business school at NC State University, and I'm looking to take next semester off and do an internship. I have some previous work experience, including a CNC operator at a machine shop, and a sales position at a company that makes search and rescue equipment. I'm a good sailor, mechanically inclined, and very outgoing and good with customers. I have a professional resume with good references (and a sailing resume as well) that I can send via email. I'd also be willing to drive for a personal interview.

I'm looking for any sort of work experience that would look good on a resume. Administrative assistant, sales, marketing.. anything in those fields. I'm willing to work full time and for a low wage. I'm also willing to travel, I'd enjoy going to trade shows etc. I can start anytime after Christmas.

I'd like to find something in a coastal town on the east coast. I'm tired of being landlocked and want to relocate for awhile! If anyone knows a business owner who might be interested in hiring someone like myself, or can suggest good companies to contact, please let me know! I'm open to pretty much any job as long as it is a "resume builder".

Thanks

Delirious 10-21-2008 11:54 PM

ANY job looks good on a resume.

You've already shown me you don't follow instructions (this is not sailing related) and you want a fast track without effort.

Try Monster.com

Charlie P.
Plant Controller

sailingdog 10-22-2008 07:55 AM

Doesn't Bendytoy have a factory down that way???

camaraderie 10-22-2008 09:53 AM

Pacific Seacraft is in Washington NC

JohnRPollard 10-22-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie (Post 388411)
Pacific Seacraft is in Washington NC

Camaraderie beat me to it. The owner's name is Steve Brodie. Poke around a bit and you'll learn that they have received some business development grants from the State of North Carolina. There may be some funds in there that could provide an internship stipend.

Pacific Seacraft

dell30rb 10-22-2008 12:34 PM

Actually my good friend (and boat co-owner) just completed an internship with pacific seacraft this summer. He's a student in naval engineering at VA Tech. He really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be giving them a call.

dell30rb 10-22-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirious (Post 388289)
ANY job looks good on a resume.

You've already shown me you don't follow instructions (this is not sailing related) and you want a fast track without effort.

Try Monster.com

Charlie P.
Plant Controller

I figured I'd post here, sailing is a niche in the business world and I didn't think i'd find much on monster.com or hotjobs or whatever. Most of those sites are career oriented anyway.

I'm just doing what most college students my age are doing... looking for an internship. Lots of companies hire them. I've worked hard at my previous jobs and I have a few good references from those companies (one of them is a plant controller) and I don't think its unreasonable for me to search for an internship.

If the mods feel its necessary to move this post I won't be offended. Really wasn't sure where to put it.

kd3pc 10-22-2008 01:18 PM

You may also try Reggie FOuntain, I know they are power boats, but he is a good fellow, a good judge of character and you appear willing to ask for a job.

Plan on spending a day or two in the area (washington, etc) and poke in to all the boat support shops around and something may come up.

ASME also may point you to some Mechanical engineering gigs..

dave

Delirious 10-22-2008 01:50 PM

Good for you (seriously).

Rule #1 is be persistant

Rule #2 is marry the bosses daughter; but we'll probably have to skip that one.

Rule #3 is collect "No"s. The more you are accumulating the better chance you have of hitting a "Yes". Send letters out to every builder, dealer and yard you can identify within your target area.

Google up some variations like "Boatshows" and check out the listed exhibitors and sponsors for leads. Check prior year's shows, also.

NC Boatshows.com--Welcome!

NC Boatshows.com--Bass & Saltwater Fishing Expo in Raleigh - Particpating Dealers

camaraderie 10-22-2008 07:12 PM

dell...no problem on this end. post away!