Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
It really is a great system. In many ways vastly superior to the standard system you see on most older boats .(4:1 purchase with a jaw jammer).
Actually, you might be surprised to discover how old this set-up is. Quite a few designs from Giles and Stephens (to name two) had end-boom sheeting arrangements that went back along the boom - but I digress...

My only gripes with this set-up (and it's just personal preference, I suppose) are (a) that when you're not hard on the wind, the sheets hang from the bottom of the boom (see below) which could be a bit nasty in an accidental gybe - hmm, headless Alex? - and (b) having the mainsheets leave the mast and go down for the deck as they do, does make for one more obstacle if you need to go forward in a blow:

..anyways, good luck with your project!

Last edited by Classic30; 10-22-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Actually, you might be surprised to discover how old this set-up is. Quite a few designs from Giles and Stephens (to name two) had end-boom sheeting arrangements that went back along the boom - but I digress...

My only gripes with this set-up (and it's just personal preference, I suppose) are (a) that when you're not hard on the wind, the sheets hang from the bottom of the boom (see below) which could be a bit nasty in an accidental gybe - hmm, headless Alex? - and (b) having the mainsheets leave the mast and go down for the deck as they do, does make for one more obstacle if you need to go forward in a blow:

..anyways, good luck with your project!
Headless Alex ? Headless Chicken ? AHA !! Headless PortuGeese.

They are the negatives yes, but we'll see. It was fine when we had the old Bluebird and just about bearable on the C28 but I'm not happy with the ratchet block setup we have now. Seems to me there are too many times when it becomes quite a struggle to release. Which of course is in a blow and she is desperately trying to round up and T-bone that ferry coming down the harbour. (Don't ask but yes , it did nearly happen once, albeit with the old rig and block. Scared the crap out of me I can tell you.)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TDW-

It wouldn't affect GUI much... his brains are far lower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-23-2008

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Hi
Here in Europe this system is called "German sheeting", it can be used both with mid boom and end boom sheeting.

One some boats the two ends of the sheet are spliced into an endless loop, that way you will never run out of rope.

I have a similar setup on my Beneteu First 38 with mid boom sheeting, but I have a 1:4 purchase with 3 separate blocks on the boom and a fidle block on the traveller. The turning blocks are fixed with dyneema straps at the boom neck and the chainplate.

Mast is already down for the winter but I can try to find /take some pictures.

This winter I'm planning to do an improvement to make single/short handling easier.

I will mount two clutches, one on each side of the cockpit near the aft winches. That way I can use the aft winches for both jib and main sheet.

Leeward winch for the jib, windward winch for the main.

That way I can operate both sheets from behind the wheel..
Old 10-23-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Here in Europe this system is called "German sheeting", it can be used both with mid boom and end boom sheeting.

This obviously makes it a FAR superior arangment to the designs of the rest of the world. We could not possibly have come up with something so masterful since we are all idiots by comparison!

Sorry, all those years of working for a German company kinda pushed me over the edge.
Old 10-23-2008

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Hi TC34
No offence, i'm not German. I'm from Norway.

This setup has it pros & cons as other systems.

On my boat with mid boom sheeting the alternative would be the original setup with the main sheeted on a smaller winch on the coachroof.
Old 10-23-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Knut,

I'd be very interested see your pics when you get them. The clutch block in front of the sheet winches , which I've seen discussed before, seems like a damn good idea to me. OK so its commonly used for halyards where the lines come back to the cockpit but it would seem to make good sense for a sheet winch as well. Particularly on a cruising boat I would think.

T34,

I am ready to stand corrected here but I have a feeling that this sheeting arrangement first came to prominence on a boat in the German Admiral's Cup team back in 19blahdeblah when the Germans were pretty much Numero Uno (whoops Nummer Eins) in European yacht racing.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-23-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Yep, Knuterikt is right.
We also do call this arrangement German sheeting.
The major advantage is that you can fine trim the main on either side of the boat. While racing and sitting on winward rail you can always trim it using winward winch regardless of port or stbd. tack.
This way you keep your weight on the correct side of the boat.
Extra appreciated on smaller boats or small crew.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 10-23-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

I just had a thought that maybe the designer German Frers popularised it ?

Does anyone know ? This intrigues me.

Old 10-23-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Hi
.....I will mount two clutches, one on each side of the cockpit near the aft winches. That way I can use the aft winches for both jib and main sheet.

Leeward winch for the jib, windward winch for the main.

That way I can operate both sheets from behind the wheel..
This sounds interesting.. I'd be concerned if ever both ends were "clutched"... such setups have poor mechanical advantage tackle-wise (relying on the winch for power) and having to dump the mainsheet via clutch could be trouble.. but if only one end is clutched and the working end left winch only, it could work....

The only other concern I'd have would be a kink in the line coming off the winch jamming in the clutch when you're trying to dump the main in a hurry....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)