Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Mainsheet System

Help !!

A while back Alex posted a diagram of the mainsheet system on Giulietta.

I'm trying to understand how that system works.

If you don't know about his system it essentially has a mainsheet that goes to two winches, one on either side of the cockpit. I'm trying to understand how the line splits into two when it exits the boom attachments.

Even a pointer to a web link would be great cos Alex is away I believe and may not be able to answer himself.

Cheers

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-22-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
His mainsheet doesn't dead end at the boom... it goes through a block there IIRC. It probably looks a bit like this:

Hope that helps.
sailingfool2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-22-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
TD, here are a few of his photos taken for various threads that should help show his set-up:

Basically, he's taking the mainsheet the full length of the boom, then down to the deck and back to sheet winches in the cockpit.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Dog. There is something in the system that I don't understand but I think I get the basic idea. I've simply fogotten how it worked from my time on the G Boat.

Cheers

Thanks to you too Cameron.

A

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-22-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Gui's system is basically SD's diagram upside down.. it's the same tackle.

Since we have a pair of winches free in the cockpit (and an underpowered mainsheet tackle) I tried to set up something to use the winches in that fashion... simply couldn't arrange fair leads to the winches so went to plan B.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-22-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Thanks Dog. There is something in the system that I don't understand but I think I get the basic idea. I've simply fogotten how it worked from my time on the G Boat.
TDW,

That is a fairly common mainsheet arrangement, I see it on plenty of production boats here in the States. What aspect is troubling you, young padawan?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-22-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I think you had a touch more wind than we did (except for a brief 20 knots or so down by "the washing machine" at Sagres), but you may have noticed that while Alex's tackle is smoothly operating, you have to stare at his line organizers for a few minutes to figure out what NOT to pull.

I did a two-hour watch at dawn alone and despite the near-absence of wind, I threw the engine into neutral and did some sailing using that mainsheet. It's actually pretty straightforward, but you have to be quick, not strong!
Old 10-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... he's got the single block on the traveler and the lines go up to the double block on the boom and forward to the mast, down to the cabintop and then back to the winches, but basically the same idea as the Harken drawing I posted.

Speed is of the essence with this type of system since the winches do the heavy lifting.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-22-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
On our C34 the mainsheet was "butted" at a turning block on the boom about a foot behind center-boom (I marked the middle of the line with a blue string whipping), down to a double block on a cabin-top traveler below center-boom, back up to two blocks side-by-side on a bail about a foot ahead of center-boom, down to two blocks on either side of the mast base and then back to a winch on either side of the companionway.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau

Last edited by Delirious; 10-22-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Thanks to you all.

Young Padawan indeed. Well I never. (well sometimes maybe )

I've got it now. I can't really explain my confusion but it had to do with the anchor points for the sheet. Consider it sorted.

It really is a great system. In many ways vastly superior to the standard system you see on most older boats .(4:1 purchase with a jaw jammer).

When we had Raven re rigged I did'nt redo the mainsheet system other than to add more purchase. I've always regretted that but at the time the option seemed to be going forward then aft to a single winch which layout I didn't like at all.

Have been discussing the 'Admiral's Cup' system elsewhere and am thinking about redoing the Womboat's setup even though it means buying and installing two new self tailors. Would prefer to stay with a system similar to what we have now but I loath the ratchet blocks we now have.

Valiente - yep the G Boat is a wow to sail but yes it all happens far to quickly for an old fart like me.