Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I wonder what it costs in fuel and time and breakage/repairs for a passage from the US to say Greece. My guess is that $7500 bucks might be low. No doubt this is a niche market...but $7500 to be in a position to cruise all of Europe, or the Great Lakes, or the Pacific Northwest, or the Caribe or Australia/New Zealand, or the Chilean fjords for as long as you care to sounds pretty attractive...especially if you can only cruise for a few months a year and need/want to be home for the major portion of the year. The cost of 2 WEEKS on a moorings charter in the BVI is $6k on a 37 foot conventional Beneteau. I don't think that chartering makes much sense even factoring in the opportunity cost of the investment of $250k in a high quality vessel.
Anyway...indeed a small niche, but perhaps just attractive enough to a few people each year to make a go of it for this company. I thought of another niche...those who want a boat but change jobs and move often. How many times do we see folks needing to sell or move their boats due to a job transfer? Problem solved.
The company actualy runs a service where you call them and they take care of all the arrangements for breaking down, shipping and putting the boat back together wherever you want to go.
Despite the looks...the boat does indeed sail quite well in fairly rugged conditions. They placed 7th in the Miami to Key West race. The long waterline makes it quick under motor as well...keeping up with most 45 footers.
I really like it a lot more in person than I tought I would when I saw the pictures a year or two ago. It makes you think about other possibilities and really breaks new ground which can only be good.
Old 10-23-2008

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
Total Cost

I'll bet $7500 is the cost of shipping the container across the Atlantic. Don't forget to add the yard costs involved with unstepping the mast and removing the keel prior to boxing the thing up, and the yard costs involved with putting it back together. I just spent about $2K on each end of cross country shipment of a 36' sloop.
As far as what to do while your yacht-in-a-box is in shipment, you could probably ride the same ship as your box. Not a luxury cruise, but far better rates.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
This is not Bob Perry's first 'container' boat. The flying tiger and tiger cub are both container boats, but for different reasons (build cheap in china, ship to OD races worldwide, etc).

btw, for those of you who don't know Perry's resume..

CT54, CT56 CT48 and CT65
Tayana 37, 48 and 52
Valiant 32, 40, 42, 47, 50
ESPIRIT 37
Nordic 44, 46RS. 40, 34
Norseman 447
Lafitte 44 and 66
Cheoy Lee 35, 44, 48, 42LRMS
Islander 26, 28, 34, 32
Freeport 36
Baba 30, 35 and 40
Tashiba 31, 36 and 40
Passport 37, 40, 41, 44, 47, 50
Tatoosh 42, 51
Saga 48, 43, 35
Mirage 27, 30, 32, 35

to name a few...

What I'm actually more interested in is his upcoming project with Pacific Seacraft... In his words "This is a 38'er that will be my best shot at the ultimate offshore cruiser for a couple."

Hmn, start saving yer pennies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tenuki; 10-23-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMojo View Post
I'll bet $7500 is the cost of shipping the container across the Atlantic.
Nope...that is what the site quotes as the average cost for both sides of the assembly AND the shipment. About a grand on each side for the work and average $5k in shipping fees.
Old 10-23-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
Only thing i can say is having been in other narrow boats i dont feel the pictures show the true nature of how narrow the interior of the boat is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-23-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki View Post
What I'm actually more interested in is his upcoming project with Pacific Seacraft... In his words "This is a 38'er that will be my best shot at the ultimate offshore cruiser for a couple."

Unless it's been revived, my understanding is that project died with the bankruptcy (I'm not sure he even got paid for the substantial work he did).

As far as I know, the new PSC company is not contemplating building Perry's design.

However, it's possible my info is dated.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-23-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki View Post
This is not Bob Perry's first 'container' boat. The flying tiger and tiger cub are both container boats, but for different reasons (build cheap in china, ship to OD races worldwide, etc).

btw, for those of you who don't know Perry's resume..

CT54, CT56 CT48 and CT65
Tayana 37, 48 and 52
Valiant 32, 40, 42, 47, 50
ESPIRIT 37
Nordic 44, 46RS. 40, 34
Norseman 447
Lafitte 44 and 66
Cheoy Lee 35, 44, 48, 42LRMS
Islander 26, 28, 34, 32
Freeport 36
Baba 30, 35 and 40
Tashiba 31, 36 and 40
Passport 37, 40, 41, 44, 47, 50
Tatoosh 42, 51
Saga 48, 43, 35
Mirage 27, 30, 32, 35

to name a few...

There you go then. It was only yesterday that I predicted he had a great future in front of him and look what he's already achieved.

For those of you who havn't seen it , BP's book is a ripper.

I still think it's a cool design but it is only what it is. Probability is that the meltdown will render the project dead and buried and I for one have no desire to ship my boat around the world in a box but it was an interesting idea.

We all need to remember that designers most often design for the client, not necessarily for themselves.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-23-2008
Helms ALee!

So sad, I hope you are wrong. Looks like the Dana 24 molds weren't bought either from what I can tell, that might be an even sadder state of affairs.

Old 10-23-2008
Helms ALee!

Agreed tdw - the flying tigers are a much better reason to use containers IMO, already 91 hulls delivered in little over a year so the market would seem to agree.

Old 10-23-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I yakked with Bob over a beer about this boat, interesting concept but not my cuppa tea. The CA 36 that was designed over on SA is more my speed, that or the 46 we're currently bandying about.