Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Container Boat- Far Harbor 39

Thought those of you who have not seen this might be interested. These guys pulled into the marina today in their 7.5' wide 39 foot Perry designed boat that is designed to fit inside a shipping container so you can truck it or ship it anywhere in the world you want to sail...without having to cross an ocean. I was invited aboard for a tour and I must say that I was most impressed with the concept AND the execution. It has an inside steering station and wheel with a cockpit tiller so you can stay protected or get out and sail.
This is a weird looking boat to anyone with a traditional sense of proportion...but it sails well, motors well and the interior is perfect for two. Maybe two guests would be ok for a few days. But this is couples boat.The idea of paying $7500 and having your boat in Greece or Aussie land in a couple of weeks and cruising for as long as you like has a lot of appeal. At $250k sailaway price, I don't think it is unreasonable either. What do you all think of the idea? By the way...the boat and people on the web link are the boat and folks at our dock. Impressive sailors!
CONTAINER YACHTS
Old 10-23-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
That is really cool! You would never believe it only has a 7.5 foot beam from the side picture. 39 feet X 7.5. Is it rolly?

I like the looks.

If I had the money I might like something like that.

Cam, could you put wheels on the container and tow it behind an RV?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
I especially like the idea of having a "pilothouse" below deck...

Seems to be a good concept, boat in a box, ship it where you want it. Mind you, it's not for me, but I can see where it'll find a good market place.
Old 10-23-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, it's a cool thing isn't it ? Clever bloke that Perry. With a bit of practice he could go far.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-23-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
I saw this boat at the Annapolis Boat Show several years ago and remember being impressed. Unusual for sure, but the boat fulfills a niche.
Bet she goes to weather well.
Old 10-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only caveat is that the mast and keel need to be removed from the boat for it to fit into a container. You need to have a good boatyard at each end to reassemble the thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-23-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
You know, I'm going to be the naysayer I guess.

There are a lot of things that could be said about the proportions of the vessel and rig, particularly the limited mast height due to container length.

But setting all that aside, when I first read about this concept, my initial thought was "Why not charter?" For the shipping costs alone, not to mention the capital costs, you could enjoy fine yachts all over the world from respected charter fleets. Without any of the normal aggravations associated with ownership, not to mention the increased hassle of commissioning/packing/unpacking/recommissioning the boat in foreign parts.

And if you're a cruiser/live-aboard, what do you do while your boat is in transit? Plus, the air fare costs.

I give credit to the designer for fulfilling the design brief, apparently quite well. And I'm sure there are a few sailors out there whom this concept will appeal to. But I do not foresee large volume production or great commercial success. Here's hoping I'm wrong!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-23-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
First saw the idea about a year ago in Sailing Magazine.
To me the boat looks good in profile, but in plan I don't care for her.
Than again, I don't understand the concept. I have my hands full with sailing on the lakes let alone the Med or Down Under. Not my niche, but evidentaly there are people out there that fill the bill.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-23-2008

mstern is on a distinguished road
I was on one of the first container yacht hulls at a boat show two or three years ago, and was impressed with the practicality of the design, if not its looks. The owner of this particular hull had multiplied the oddness factor even more by having two small fish fighting chairs installed aft of the cockpit. To me, the hull looks like the box the boat came in.

Its definitely a small niche market. My guess is that those who can afford to ship a boat all over the world and cruise long enough to make it worthwhile can afford and would want a bigger, more comfortable boat than this. Those who can't quite afford that are probably better served by having a boat at home that isn't hampered by the design compromises necessary to make the boat fit in a container, and by chartering in remote locations. Oh well, as we all know, choosing a boat is rarely a rational decision.

As an aside, at the boat show were I saw the container yacht, one of the bigger Hylas yachts was moored nearby, and Dick Hylas was aboard. I asked him what he thought of his neighbor, and he said something to the effect "I like Bob Perry, but I don't know what he was thinking when he designed that..."
Old 10-23-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I understand it but, I don't get it. A canoe with sails and a wheel. I guess if MacGregor's sell this boat has a chance.