Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2002

anneminix is on a distinguished road
offshore sailing

infor needed on offshore passage opportunities good or bad info tks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
offshore sailing

Many people often use the term "off shore" and I''m never quite sure what is meant. Does this mean out of sight of land, more than 25 miles from land or what? Obviously making transoceanic passages qualifies as "off shore" however is this the only meaning of the term?

Come on Sailorkotemitch you must have comment on this matter.
Old 08-20-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
offshore sailing

Denr,

Now why in the world do you want to drag me into this? Personally, offshore to me is any time the water is over my head. That includes my slip apparently.

I do agree that this request needs more definition if folks here are to help out. Last year I was 10-12 miles off the Delmarva Peninsula coast but I''d call that coastal cruising. I''d call offshore being 50 miles or so out, maybe more. Far enough that you couldn''t reach port within a day let''s say. I can''t wait to see where this topic goes next.

Speaking of Sailkote, I used it on squeaky door hinges at home. Works great. I also just gave my mainsail slugs another shot of it as well as the track up the mast as far as I could reach. Then I sprayed more coats on the knotmeter paddle wheel to retard growth. Works pretty well on that. I''m waiting for a sale to buy another can.
Old 08-20-2002

Mama_Cocha is on a distinguished road
offshore sailing

Darn...I just did the Anegada passage back and forth and I thought I was "offshore"...gonna havew to try harder....
Old 08-21-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
offshore sailing

For whatever my input is worth, I consider "offshore" to be whenever a rescue vessel can''t reach you within a few hours at high speed. You''re REALLY offshore if a Coast Guard helo can''t make a round trip unrefueled.
Old 08-21-2002

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
offshore sailing

To me, you are "offshore" whenever you are so far from the coast that you are unable to get in to shelter before bad weather strikes. When you are close enough to land that you have a viable choice to find shelter, you are a "coastal cruiser." When you have no viable choice, but you must withstand whatever the weather brings, then you are "offshore," or, a "bluewater cruiser."
Old 08-21-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

offshore sailing

Sailormonsix

I would say that you win the cookie, this sounds like the best answer (water depth over my head!) so far, nice job. The Coast Guard rescue answer was definately wrong, what have we sailors turned into men or mice? Pass the cheese please.
Old 08-21-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
offshore sailing

Now that his greatness, Denr, has decreed my answer to be "wrong," I''m quaking in my sea boots. LOL

I wasn''t referring to inexperienced people (like myself currently) taking ill-equipped boats far offshore then crying for help when a storm hits. I was thinking more about a heart attack or other sudden and serious illness or accident occurring where timely medical attention could mean life or death.

I suppose in addition to being omniscient, you are also omnipotent and believe yourself to be immortal (along with anyone who might be on your boat). Here''s hoping, for your sake, that''s all true.

Regards,
Duane

Old 08-21-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

offshore sailing

Duanelsing

And I voted for all of the pictures on your personal page. Sounds like you need some polysulfide or silicon for those sea boots if they''re quaking (whatever this means)!

When one travels off-shore (whatever this truly means) we should assume all risks associated with the experience. I don''t expect to be rescued and none of us is invincible!
Old 08-21-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
offshore sailing

Duane,

Beleive it or not, I consider Denr to be a friend. He and I have chatted a few times and exchanged emails, and we will get together at the Annapolis boat show if he can work it into his busy schedule. He''s really a good guy, but has this Eddie Haskell side that has to come out at times -- usually in the form of one of his Benehuntalina comments.

Now, as for his saying your answer is wrong, he has the Coast Guard Captain''s license, not me. His boat is 7 feet longer than mine, too. Don''t worry about it. Another regular contributor was quick to call me wrong on something that he had no idea what he was talking about. But my main man Denr''s comments do bring to mind the words from a song I like by a folk singer named Cheryl Wheeler. It goes something like this:

"He''s frequently wrong but never in doubt."

If you make it to the Annapolis show, perhaps the 3 of us can go out for some lunch. You and I can renew old acquaintances after our meeting back in the spring at Crusader Yachts, and then we both can wash Denr''s typing fingers out with Sailkote. (What I really want to do is get a photo of him at the wheel of a Hunter with a roll bar and spread it all over Sailnet.)