Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
New AIS link

I have been following the AIS stuff pretty heavily and will be plunging for the purchase of a AIS B transponder now that they are FCC approved. I actually find that for normal cruising in the Puget Sound that AIS works incredibly well in lieu of having a Radar up and running. Combine Radar and AIS you got a kick butt target tracking system.

However ran across this link from the guys over at Navagear.com: Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic System

It doesn't cover everywhere - and I found the data for Puget Sound only focused around the straits but for some of you geeks out there - link may be of interest.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Cool Jody. I have an "air card" for my work laptop. With that website, I can get AIS info through the internet on the work boat!
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Cool Jody. I have an "air card" for my work laptop. With that website, I can get AIS info through the internet on the work boat!

Even better - looks like around your neck of the woods they really get the info for it - great blend of technology actually. Will be decent to see how it goes for the AIS-B systems - it could be the poor mans Spot tracker of sorts...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 10-25-2008

Skipaway is on a distinguished road
Here's another AIS site to check out:
YACHTMARINE - Live AIS World Ship Monitoring

Good Northwest coverage; I haven't checked out other regions. Even works with the iPhone. Refresh rate is only every 5 minuites, but you can see that the 16 knot, 935' container ship two hours ahead of time.
Charlie Lincoln • Cathlamet, WA • Islander 28 #108
Old 10-25-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for posting the site Jody.
Old 10-26-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I believe AIS is on par with GPS as a useful technology. With RADAR and a chart, you could find your way in a nighttime fog, but with RADAR, GPS and AIS, you can find others, and naturally, you still have the paper chart for when the GPS goes wonky.*

Of course, AIS and GPS are frequently interlinked, so AIS data does not, in fact, replace deck watches, and if the AIS shows the only ship in 10 miles bearing away and the RADAR calls for a collision, believe the RADAR.

I personally think that the greatest value of AIS is to identify local traffic and to tell big ships where you are relative to their track. I have had conversations with lake freighters even in little Lake Ontario where they have not seen me on RADAR even when provided with a reciprocal bearing, although a good pair of binoculars usually reveals me or my lights.

To be fair, my steel boat apparently is visible to RADAR on either shore .

Anyway, my schoolmarmish tone is just to reinforce that AIS is cool, but not, as I have read in certain spots, a "replacement" for anything. It gives supplemental information to the usual careful watch that should be kept in any case.

*Anyone who thinks "it won't" or "it can't" hasn't watched the GPS co-ordinates wildly correct without warning, hasn't seen "tests" by the military alter the accuracy, again without warning, hasn't found their plot mysteriously cutting through a peninsula, or is someone who thinks the current solar surface "quiet period" will last, like the bull market, forever.
Old 10-27-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
Way too cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipaway View Post
Here's another AIS site to check out:
YACHTMARINE - Live AIS World Ship Monitoring

Good Northwest coverage; I haven't checked out other regions. Even works with the iPhone. Refresh rate is only every 5 minuites, but you can see that the 16 knot, 935' container ship two hours ahead of time.
I'm sitting on my boat right now, just off Galveston Bay linking my laptop through my cell phone and I just saw the AIS for the Houston Ship channel... Great stuff

Michael
Hull #15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.