Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2002

carisea is on a distinguished road
Splicing Chain

I currently have 50ft of 5/16 chain and 300ft of 3/4 rode on a 35# CQR and 15ft of chain and 200ft of 3/4 rode on a 35# delta
I would like to add 50ft of chain to the CQR but am concerned as to how to do this and now the integrity of the splice is good and also get it thru my windlass. Do I have to buy all new chain , have a link welded for the splice or can I use a mechanical link. while the last choice appears to be compatible with the windlass will it be structurally effective?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Splicing Chain

Carisea:

You have multiple choices, including Connecting Links (2 ''halves'' of a link that are joined by peening rivets) and Mid Links. The former are galvanized, drop forged and claim to have a strength comparable to the proof coil chain itself (which is what I assume you have). Personally, I''ve always been shy of these as I wonder if the peening will remain sufficient should the rode work on a coral head or rock while surge racks the anchorage...but that''s just me being anxious.

Mid Links are IMO far superior: absolute security with solid clevis pins and strong enough to join high tensile chain of the same size without creating a weak spot. They won''t slip right thru your gypsey unnoticed but my S/L manual never spits one out and I''ve been using one for the last year in the Caribbean. Their one failing is that, despite how WM titled the page where they are prominently listed (p. 689, 2002 Cat.) they are not galvanized. Periodic spraying with e.g. Boeshield will keep them at full strength but they will surface rust over time. Given their strength (twice the WWL rating) and security, I think the boat''s rode is due a new one each year or two.

The other choices are pricey, I''ve seen several of them fail, they are larger & more cumbersome and/or they offer poor working load limits.

Jack
Old 08-21-2002

carisea is on a distinguished road
Splicing Chain

woosh or jack --- thanks for the info I would assume that the midlink would require you to manually work that link thru the gypsy to continue weighing anchor. I guess that could be dicey
Old 08-21-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Splicing Chain

Carisea:

"I would assume that the midlink would require you to manually work that link thru the gypsy to continue weighing anchor."

Not at all. Our S/L 555 windlass takes the Mid-Link over the gypsy without me ever touching it (which I think would be very dangerous & very stupid of me); it just doesn''t fit oh-so-sweetly in the gypsy wheel while it''s passing thru.

I added 50'' of HT chain in Trinidad and, out of laziness and July heat, chose to add it onto the anchor end of the rode (since that''s what was within reach). So we anchored almost exclusively for the next year, always (100%) ratcheting that Mid-Link thru the gypsy. It ''feels good'' when strength or integrity is not an issue with chain splicing hardware.

Jack
(WHOOSH is our Pearson 424, currently lying St. Pete, FL)