Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008

Edo Kazumichi is on a distinguished road
Sat phones - Plan C

In addition to an EPIRB my abandon ship bag will have a sat phone and a handheld GPS. I believe in having Plan Bs for my Plan Bs. The thinking being that while lounging in my life raft and enjoying the simplicity of my new boat I could casually whip out my handheld GPS and inform any interested parties about my situation and precise whereabouts.

Question is, who would I call? COSPAS-SARSAT list a phone number on their website but surely this is for admin. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited by Edo Kazumichi; 10-26-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, you'd be better off with a handheld VHF, since the rescuing craft will have VHF radios... not phones aboard. Between the VHF and the EPIRB, you should be covered... Sat Phones aren't all that useful once you've left the mothership.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2008

NorthUp is on a distinguished road
Program in the local landline number for the Coastguard, they can start the ball rolling for anywhere in the world
Old 10-26-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
IMHO, you'd be better off with a handheld VHF, since the rescuing craft will have VHF radios... not phones aboard. Between the VHF and the EPIRB, you should be covered... Sat Phones aren't all that useful once you've left the mothership.
Provided the EPIRB actually goes off, is correctly registered, and functions correctly.

A charged handheld sat phone holds plenty of battery power, and if you keep it in a Pelican case it will stay dry and functional. If your EPIRB gets away from you, a rescue craft could be chasing that signal while you float around miles away. With the phone you can also relate any injuries, missing crew, special instructions/needs etc etc. The EPIRB will only give a location.

One word of advice......don't get a Globalstar. Their satellite constellation isn't global (as the name implies), and what they have in orbit has serious issues. Here is a link straight from Globalstar, and I can confirm first hand that this issue is persistant to say the least. Their duplex data and voice systems are S#!t. They do however provide a handy tool to calculate when you might have a satellite overhead that can make your call (thanks a bunch).

Constellation Update and Advisory: News Center: Globalstar Corporate

I stand in the middle of a field (in the state of Maryland) at any given time of day and get zero service on my Globalstar hand set. On the other hand, my Iridium phone has never given me anything less than full signal. The Iridium is a fixed unit so it is inherently more powerful, regardless the signal stregnth has always been maximum since the day I installed it. Long story short, I use the globalstar as a doorstop.

Why not also pack a VHF with the raft or in the ditch bag?
ACR 16/6
I agree that when the time comes, you will get to a point where you will drop the sat phone and get in direct contact with rescue using a vhf.

PS. When I say my phone, I mean the company. I don't personally fund two sat phones

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 10-26-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2008
Bermuda

BermudaHorst is on a distinguished road
I rented a Sat-phone last time I went offshore; the wife wanted daily position updates, but it became really very useful when the engine failed and I was able to call the yard for advice.

Questi non vide mai l'ultima sera;
ma per la sua follia le fu si presso,
che molto poco tempo a volger era

This one has not yet seen the final evening
but through his folly he had come so near it
that very little time was left for changing.

Canto I, verse 58
Dante Alighieri; Purgatorio, 1348
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sapper-

True, and good points, but many people are less than calm when they're at the point they need to pull the tab on their EPIRB. EPIRBs and handheld VHFs are pretty fool-proof at this time... and far more likely to survive in a marine environment than a satellite phone.

If you can afford a sat phone, preferably an Iridium for reasons Sapper pointed out, having one won't hurt... but if you have to make a choice... I think the EPIRB/handheld VHF makes more sense... An EPIRB has no on-going monthly costs, either does the handheld VHF. So, if you're on a budget... it makes a lot more sense.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Our satphone saved out butts in Grenada after Ivan. If you can afford it, it is great insurance. If not...do what the dawg says.
Old 10-27-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I just posted this on another thread but it has relevance here too:

When we were in a bad storm 400 miles from NZ we called Maritime NZ on an Iridium phone to let them know where we were and our "survival" status, they told us to hang up and they called us back at their cost. Small (minute actually) potatoes in terms of cost, I know, but indicative of their committment to SAR. They called us every half hour after the initial contact until we convinced them the danger was over and we were OK. They also called our daughter at her home every time they spoke to us to report our latest condition to her.

Each to his own but for me, going on a voyage, an Iridium phone is a non-negotiable and to heck with the cost.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.