Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
Which of the 57 states require licenses?

(Sorry, Obama told me there were 57!)

Some of those require you to have a DRIVER'S LICENSE.

Some require boater's safety course (that isn't a license, it's a card they issue you when you're finished with the course, just like the little orange card I have in my wallet for hunter safety course here in CO. No matter that I've hunted in 5 other states, and taken similar courses, I STILL HAD TO PAY THE GOVERNMENT TO GIVE ME A CLASS... )
According to my computer's dictionary, the definition of a license is:

"a permit from an authority to own or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade"

and in the thesaurus:

"ex. a driver's license -- permit, certificate, document, documentation, authorization, warrant; certification, credentials; pass, papers."

If you are required by law to have a Safe Boating Certificate in order to operate a power boat in a given state, is not that certificate in fact a "license"?

You can not (legally) operate the power boat without it.

How is this different from a driver's license?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 10-31-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2008

mtboat is on a distinguished road
I have two cents worth exactly. NO MORE government intrusion into my life. No more.
Old 10-31-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
While some seem willing to forfeit their individual God given freedoms and liberty to make sure the guy next to them knows the difference between a bow and a stern, I for one am not.

Government is the problem not the solution.
Old 10-31-2008

vadimgo is on a distinguished road
Since I used to live in countries where everything and everybody needs some "license"… And I still do not have an American attitude towards personal freedom…

Alex, yes, you would MAYBE weed out some people that do not have IQ ability or basic physical ability to sail.
Yes, by making it a complicated and lengthy process,
MAYBE few people would be able to attempt an ocean crossing with no experience whatsoever. (could not you achieve same purpose by giving them for a test, say, 20 pages of Japanese poetry, and only the most committed would pass the test???)
But, from I’ve experienced,
FOR SURE the cost licensing and enforcing it would be passes on to the boaters.
FOR SURE all government agencies (And Alex, Navy, Coast guard or in US Department of Homeland Security is a government, call it what you want, it means that Customs, Criminal Police and any State of Federal branch, like the one dealing with taxes will access that database too) will have me on their list as a person licensed to sail which means a person that should be regularly checked for compliance and the fact that his license could be revoked could be used as leverage.
FOR SURE the fees will be increased regularly (So “the quality of services to the boating public could be improved”)
And I WOULD BET MY BOAT they will cause a lot of restrictions on the boating people.
BTW, I really doubt Marinas, Insurers and all the businesses around ask for your license because they consider it good practice. No, they are required, (somebody with more knowledge in the business law would explain it better, but, if the activity you are practicing is licensed by government, you can not do business with unlicensed individuals, that’s it, your contract for boat storage would be invalid …- even if there is no sanctions, there is no protection from the law…)

I would try to summarize my feelings on the issue

Yep, some bad folks could be kept from certain activity by some governing body, but inevitably, it will cause a lot of problems and inconveniences to good people too.
I would rather see once in a while some Sea Ray backing into me at the dock and hope they have sufficient insurance that spent my time and money proving to some bureaucrat I can handle my boat.

(and that was my definition of liberal believes before, as I understood, in US they call it Libertarian…??? )

If licensing of drivers is any reference, its effect on the safety on the roads is really marginal. And I am talking about EU countries where it is really hard to get a driving license.
Old 10-31-2008
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
I haven't read this entire thread yet, so I don't know if its already been brought up. In maryland if you were born after 1972 (me thinks) you have to have a "licence" to legally operate a water craft (unless human powered). I know all you oldies are grandfathered in ( ) so it never came up on your radar.

I took the test online and had to pay something like $20 or less. If i get boarded I have to have the paper with me or I can be fined. The test was about 100 question multiple guess, mostly about PWC.
I took that test too, and it was stupid. For those that don't know, you can take it online. The questions are taken directly from the online test-prep material WHICH YOU CAN HAVE OPEN IN ANOTHER BROWSER WINDOW AS YOU TAKE THE TEST.

Dumb-asses. The test is essentially worthless, but it cost me money, it taught me nothing (except that you shouldn't take a PWC off a dam, which I suspected, but didn't know for certain), I can get fined for not having done it, and some stupid politician can brag to his constituents about increasing boater safety.

Every law is a restriction of someone's freedom. If you're going to pass a law, make it a damn good law that actually accomplishes something.

Boater Licensing =

Last edited by painkiller; 10-31-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
I took that test too, and it was stupid. For those that don't know, you can take it online. The questions are taken directly from the online test-prep material WHICH YOU CAN HAVE OPEN IN ANOTHER BROWSER WINDOW AS YOU TAKE THE TEST.

Dumb-asses. The test is essentially worthless, but it cost me money, it taught me nothing (except that you shouldn't take a PWC off a dam, which I suspected, but didn't know for certain), I can get fined for not having done it, and some stupid politician can brag to his constituents about increasing boater safety.

Every law is a restriction of someone's freedom. If you're going to pass a law, make it a damn good law that actually accomplishes something.

Boater Licensing =
I didn't mention the fact that it is indeed a money making scheme that isn't worth a fat turd, I thought was implied.

As for the PWC off a dam thing....how the hell else are you supposed to become a Youtube star??? Be gay and cry about Britney Spears

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 10-31-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2008

vadimgo is on a distinguished road
Off course, it is just that, feelings. Since I intent to get my 6-pack license and the state of NJ requires the Safe Boating Certificate for the next year anyway.
Old 10-31-2008
Apropos of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
I didn't mention the fact that it is indeed a money making scheme that isn't worth a fat turd, I thought was implied.
No, I got that. I was just adding on.
Old 10-31-2008
Apropos of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimgo View Post
Off course, it is just that, feelings. Since I intent to get my 6-pack license and the state of NJ requires the Safe Boating Certificate for the next year anyway.
Dear god!!!! You need a license to buy a 6-pack now??????? What's the world coming to? I'm installing a kegerator right now. No more six packs for me.
Old 10-31-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Dear god!!!! You need a license to buy a 6-pack now??????? What's the world coming to? I'm installing a kegerator right now. No more six packs for me.
If you are already a booze hound you are grandfathered in.....whew