Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
licencing shure helped those guys on the titanic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Anybody who forces their children to accompany them on a boat is putting their children in a dangerous situation and the children should promptly be removed from that irresponsible family.
I assume that your screen has something to do with bumping your skull on a steel beam and it left a huge knot on your head?

Please define "forces" for me? I must be misunderstanding such a ridiculous statement.
Old 10-31-2008

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
That's a silly comparison. I am being serious.

Is boating really that much less dangerous than flying a plane?? Licensing will not suddenly stop the idiots nor will it suddenly stop all fatalities. However, it would help.

How many times have you been cut off by a motor boat that did not know right of way?

How many times have you been buzzed by the wake of a sport fish while at anchor and broken things dopwn below?

How many times have you been clipped at anchor by a motor boat over your rhode?

How many times have you seen a boat on the hard bacuse they did not understand the cans/nuns?

Now THAT list does go on and on...

A simple license, while not stopping all of this, will at least make them aware of them. Break the law, hurt people, etc... pull them off the water.

Did you know: you can go out, today, and buy a 65 foot Hatteras (assuming you have the money). You can hop behind the wheel and start immediately. They do not check credientials, time on the water, or whether you even know how to steer. You bought it... you own it... you can drive it - anywhere.

You cannot even do that with a car. Yet, you are driving an absolute killing machine. You could take out someones family in seconds, including your own.

You cannot even do that with a car... and a boat is much more dangerous than a car. Yet you are required to have a license with a car. With a boat?? Nothing.

- CD
oK Dad,
Is boating more dangerous than flying?
MY Piper Twin Comananchie Stalls about 95mph.So you need to go faster than that or you drop like streamlined bird dodo....
I propose first you give the healm of your boat to a child and let them dock it with instruction from you....see how many are injured.Then we take same child...or adult for that matter and see it they can land my piper without totaling it/all aboard/and anythng 1000 yards down the runway.

As for licensing...nope..i do not have one.But do have enough training to fly.Pasing the test is not a problem...to me it is the total stupidity of said test.If you go up and try to fly something you do not know how to fly you probably will not survive the takeoff.

Instead of a licence i propose a DUMBASS fee.If something you do requires a rescue.You get BILLED FOR BEING A DUMBASS.Fee is Paid to People that put there necks on the line to rescue said DUMBASS....
This includes driving in snow storm,hang gliding,mountain bikes,,,gee..just about anything you or anyone else does that society considers you a DUMBASS for doing.

That being said what should C COLUMBAS be charged?
He left himself and crew maronned.....

Just another DUMBASSES opinion.
Mark
Old 10-31-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
travler - you sound like a pretty smart dumbass to me, dude. Of course, that's coming from me - a dumb smartass - so take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
travler - you sound like a pretty smart dumbass to me, dude. Of course, that's coming from me - a dumb smartass - so take it for what it's worth.
Sorry,
Can not think of anything right now.Am currantly adding up all the currant FEES i am paying.If my DUMBASS FEE is implicated.Does getting electrocuted while typing in a thunderstorm make you pay DUMBASS points???
Goes to the MANLY MANS book to reference it..will let you know later smarty.....
Mark
Old 10-31-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I assume that your screen has something to do with bumping your skull on a steel beam and it left a huge knot on your head?

Please define "forces" for me? I must be misunderstanding such a ridiculous statement.
Why are you pretending to miss the sarcastic nature of the post?
Old 10-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Why are you pretending to miss the sarcastic nature of the post?
Hint,
He is not pretending.
Mark
Old 10-31-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Obviously I don't get your sense of humor.
Old 10-31-2008
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
CD, here in Australia we have mandatory licensing for powerboats, PWC's and in most states(only a matter of time before all I feel) sail as well. We also still have plenty of accidents and irresponsible powerboaters/sailors. Over the past couple of years we have had some major high profile incidents in Sydney harbour involving multiple deaths.We still also have plenty of issues with powerboaters not understanding right of way.

I just don't know if licensing works.

I think you also need to make a distinction between general boating and offshore, in your OP you mention Ronnie, he wasn't in a skiboat in sheltered waters he was beginning a circumnavigation...Here in Oz after a very tragic Sydney Hobart race a few years back the authorities developed a sea safety and survival course that is mandatory for crew in offshore races but has a benefit for all seeking a BFS. Maybe education rather than licensing is the key?
And I feel to make education compulsory for those heading offshore is to miss the point that if they're stupid enough to think the don't need it then they're chances in the blue yonder aren't great regardless.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 10-31-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
MY Piper Twin Comananchie Stalls about 95mph.So you need to go faster than that or you drop like streamlined bird dodo....
Yep, comparing boats with aircraft is really stretching the imagination.

As far as I recall, most boats that stop motoring/sailing stay on top of the water. Most aircraft that stop working don't stay in the air (at least not long enough to be rescued).

And as Travler implied, most folks without any experience can negotiate a boat back to shore, very few (if any) people without any experience can bring an aircraft safely to the ground.

And I know that I'd far rather be on my boat in a violent storm than in Travler's Twin Comanche.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke