Boating, Passagemaking, and Licensing - Page 34 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #331 of 339 Old 11-07-2008
Apropos of Nothing

Hey, N0NJY! You're not one of these guys, are you?

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 339 Old 11-07-2008

If there's an image there, apparently it's blocked here hahaha

guess I will have to respond later

Rick Donaldson, NØNJY

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
post #333 of 339 Old 11-07-2008
Apropos of Nothing

Hah! OK. You can enjoy it when you get home.
post #334 of 339 Old 12-23-2011

Boater

A "Boater" is a hat. Not someone that goes to sea!
post #335 of 339 Old 12-23-2011
A mod and her dragon

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by LupodiMare View Post
A "Boater" is a hat. Not someone that goes to sea!
If the English language only allowed one definition per word, the Oxford English Dictionary wouldn't have so many volumes (or be so expensive).

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #336 of 339 Old 12-24-2011
KNOT KNOWN

As a merchant marine who spends a lot of time in a commercial wheel house, I can tell we that we stand in awe over some of the stupid **** we see self taught, un-licsenced, pleasure boater's do. Should you be required by law to have credentials? NO. Required by common sense to seek out seamanship training? ABSOLUTELY!!
post #337 of 339 Old 12-24-2011

I agree!
post #338 of 339 Old 01-05-2012
smillinjack

Well O balmo and the forty thieves will be glad to take your money and make your day miserable at the same time, but He will give you a big smile
post #339 of 339 Old 01-05-2012

I think we can all agree getting a license has never stopped an idiot before, why do we think it will now? Most other areas of life have required licenses, to get one you can just pay the tax.

The test, if there even is one, mostly covers regulations, not real world skills needed to do the task safely.

Even on a good day anyone can pay a bribe and get any license required with no qualifications, or even citizenship.

The quoted millionaire that drops a check for a megayacht and rams through the marina at full throttle, no matter how wealthy can only do this a few times, eventually the loss of his boat, the lawsuites from other boats damaged, the prison time for manslaughter, will get him off the water. taking his license wont remove him any quicker. He will pay someone to take any required classes for him anyway.

Right now there are individuals that will take the driving test and any required defensive driving classes for you for a small fee, they get enough work to live off of the income. Some take the class several times in the same day, apparently the beaurocrats at the DMV don't think anything is odd, that all of the test attendees look exactly the same every day. In a minority community near you 1/3 to 1/2 of the licensed drivers have exactly the same persons picture on it...and they are driving next to you on the freeway.

The same idiots that waked you in the miserable mile, will still wake you after this law passes, they will just have a plastic card in their wallet with someone elses picture on it that they bought on a street corner.

Still think it is a good idea, just wait...there is legislation pending right now to make AIS mandatory for everything that floats. Go too fast through a no wake, or manatee, or marine sanctuary zone, they will mail you the ticket. Cross any of these zones while possessing a fish, they will take your boat. Here in Texas boaters have had their boat seized and GPS data pulled in court to determine of they caught the right fish at the right position, posses both fish they assume you caught them at the illegal place, it is up to you to prove different.

Right now AIS is dropping in price, wait and see what the price does when you are forced by law to buy one.

If boating was so dangerous insurance co's would not insure you without proof of a boating course. Right now mine will not even give me a discount, and I am USCG licensed.

The biggest loss (over 90%) is from named storms, so do we require a license to tie up to a slip???

Boater Licensing = Boater Licensing = Boater Licensing =

The Sun has Risen on a New Day filled with the Promise of Adventure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.