Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
I can also buy a chainsaw without a license at the local home depot. That's dangerous.

Between my wife and I who are both avid (and damned good) shooters, we have nearly two dozen guns.

I have thousands of rounds of ammo for these weapons.

I carry a gun almost daily on my person.

I have never shot and killed anyone with a personally owned weapon.

( I can't say the same in regards to a personally carried and government owned weapon..... sorry).

It has never been my intent to use a gun in any manner it wasn't intended and practice safety with them.

I'm not "licensed" to "own or use guns".

Should I be?

I do have a "concealed carry permit" that enables me to walk around armed without anyone know it.

On the other hand, our state laws do not prohibit the open carrying of weapons in most areas (there are a couple of idiotic places like Denver and Boulder where they are so afraid of guns they've even tried banning them from cops... /sigh)

So... my point is thus - my guns have never killed anyone. In fact, nearly everyone I know with a weapon has NEVER killed anyone and yet certain people would like to legislate my guns out of my hands.

Why is that?

Why license my guns? What is it stopping?

Ok, same question on boats now.

if people are MOSTLY safe and secure in the use of their boats - why would you want to create more laws to interfere with your own self?

Because you take the time to be safety conscious and do what you're supposed to do - they should make a law to force "common sense" on people?

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2008
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Might want to watch your step here a bit...since the boat that Bubb is talking about nearly killed him and his wife...
Bubb can speak for himself, dog. He probably knows that I don't know his history.
Old 10-31-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Might want to watch your step here a bit...since the boat that Bubb is talking about nearly killed him and his wife...
Thanks Dog, but I thought I was holding my own with my post #25
Old 10-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Anytime bubb... just looking out for my friends..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-31-2008

Quote:

Licensing and mandatory education for powerboats, which have the ability to get up to ridiculous speeds, where control and skill is a factor, especially on things like PWC, would make far more sense.
I missed that.

Sure let's license people with boats that go over, say, 7 knots.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-31-2008
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
I once hit 8.25 knots. Can we make it 9?
Old 10-31-2008

Causes of Personal Injury. Statistics, Numbers & Types of Personal Injury Cases.

LOL, perhaps, according to THAT site (which says over 1000 fatalities per year in boats as opposed to some other sites I read) DOGS ought to be licensed now....

hahaha

Quote:
Of these 5 million dog bites, over 800,000 people need medical attention and dozens of people die every year.

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-31-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I come from a place where if you want to use a boat, you need to go to a boat school, learn stuff, then seat exams..the courses depend, but go from 3 months from the basic Sailing permit (sail within 12 miles of the harbour, boats not longer than 35 feet, less than 70HP). then as you need to get further away or move up in boat, you need other courses.

If you get caught outside your "water" bubble, or with a boat different from what you are qualified, boats gets arrested by NAVY (allways NAVY, or MAritime Police, never Government)..but you are free to go..

This system is in place as far as I remeber, I have a Skipper's licence given to me at age 16, had to wait to be 18 to do the rest..Fred is now sailing under a "minor Competitive waiver" given by his club, but had to show he is preofficient to sail alone.. Fred can't go more than 6 miles out, and must be with the other kids, who are followed by a coach.

While I understand my American friends feeling that the licence maybe a cut of freedom...let me just tell you this..

Howe many boating accidents, or "Ronnie's" stories you hear coming from our side of the Ocean?

For the record, my licence, was given to me after I sat the exams and went to sea with an instructor, and the Government doesn't care where I go or what I do..They are re-issued after 10 years, time on which you just request a new one..

No one including the government controls me..but for sure..it makes me happy to know that the idiot with the 45 foot Sea Ray had to go to a school to learn how to operate his toy...

By the way..Maritime Police can board to check you have a permit for sailing that particular boat, no issurance company insures if you do not have a licence for that type of boat and area/type of sailing, and no marina accepts you inside without a licence...

Seems to me that more others than the Governement control it..

Me?? as far as I am concerned?? I agree with licencing..makes me better, safer, and above all, makes me confident that the idiot coming staright at me knows which way to turn...

The governement doesn't really care..you guys should see licencing as a proof of scolarity, not as cut to freedom...

BUT ABOVE ALL by licencing I am not saying the piece of paper..to me licencing means EDUCATION...the course, the learning, the going to a school for months to learn...the paper is just to prove you went and did it..

Kind alike European driving licences, takes us 6 months, and 25 driving hours with a car with 2 wheels, and 25 classroom hours, plus 3 exams, to get a driving licence, which by the way, is not an ID document, like in the US, for that we have ID cards.

Exams are done by the NAVY

Last edited by Giulietta; 10-31-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
CD - Though it may shock you, I plan on going through the various ASA certifications this spring and summer in preparation for cruising the gulf in the very near future. I know I don't have to (I mean PB didn't for crying out loud) - and I think I would probably get a more thorough education if I crewed with many of the sailors here for a while, but I don't have that kind of time yet. And no one here would let me on their boat. So there's that.
You mean you plan on attempting to get the various ASA certifications... Whether you can and do remain to be seen... I'd bet against it at the moment though...

Quote:
So, personally I'm all about the licensing idea because it will teach me a lot in a shorter period of time. Then maybe I'll crew prior to my big jaunt when I actually know how/when to deploy a drogue and not just use it as a big clothes hamper.

But believe me, those instructors will be praying to get me off their boat by the end of these courses cause I'll continually heckle the hell out of them about sailing with stones. Now that will be fun!
Licensing doesn't give a person common sense or experience... and lots of people have licenses that have no business driving....don't see that changing with boaters just cause they license boats.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-31-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Careful with statistics people.

95% of all statistics can be made to say whatever you want. 50% of the time.

On its face, a statistic is nothing. I wonder WHY more people die in cars than in boats?