Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
I once hit 8.25 knots. Can we make it 9?
Let's make it an even 10 then. LOL

(I hope people see the humor in this and understand that attempting to set some kind of limits will involve this VERY sort of thinking from people who DON'T KNOW CRAP about boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Come on, our Legislators really DON'T for the most part know anything about boats, airplanes, cars, or bicycles. Do we REALLY want them setting the standards and limitations?

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2008

Giulietta, that is precisely right. EDUCATION is important in anything we do. A little piece of paper that gives one a phd, license or certificate are worthless.

It's not who you know, or how well you know them, it's how well one can demonstrate one's skills.

The doubtful part here is that ANY GOVERNMENT that gets involved with such things usually fouls it up beyond all repair.

Quote:
Licensing doesn't give a person common sense or experience... and lots of people have licenses that have no business driving....don't see that changing with boaters just cause they license boats.
This was my point. Doesn't matter how smart someone is, or educated, or how many pieces of paper.

If they don't temper their skills and abilities or actions with good common sense, then they title "Failure" will blink above their heads for all to see.

Quote:
Careful with statistics people.

95% of all statistics can be made to say whatever you want. 50% of the time.

On its face, a statistic is nothing. I wonder WHY more people die in cars than in boats?
Trust me I am very careful with them... remember Mark Twain said, "There's lies, there's damned lies and then there's statistics...."

I agree with him completely (but on occasion to prove a point you have to cite SOMETHING... )

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-31-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
We do need a licence in Slovenia (and countries around).
You can only operate a boat without a licence if the engine is less then 5 HP and the boat is shorter then about 10 feet (both conditions must be fulfilled)
If the boat is longer then 10 feet you can operate it without a licence only if it has no engine. But you are not allowed more then 1km (bit more then 1/2 nautical mile) from shore.
There are several levels of licences (for different max lengths and engine power).
It ensures that everyone on the water at least once in their life knew rules of the road.
It does not prevent stupidity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Old 10-31-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Give me a freaking break. Have any of you had to go to traffic school after getting a ticket.
That's the kind of quality education you are going to get when the government gets involved.

And Gui. Just because it seems to work in your little country. Doesn't mean it will work here.
There are people, like me, who want nothing more than that the government just do it's damn job and stay the hell out of my life. It's getting worse everyday and it's pretty sad that there are so many lemmings who not only will jump over the cliff, but are happy about it.
Old 10-31-2008

Quote:
It does not prevent stupidity.
Another case in point. It does not prevent stupidity.

What licensing does do:

1) Gives the government agency or entity that is making you get the license get money from you.

2) might force someone to take classes.

3) might force someone to take a test.

4) Certainly WILL prevent me, Tomaz and others from perhaps teaching someone else to sail.

5) will make it more difficult on the owners of boats who are responsible, because they too much be licensed as well - thus costing them money, time and more effort to cross the T and dot the I to "remain legal".

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-31-2008
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I don't want any more help from the government. I think they've done enough already.
Old 10-31-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
CD - Though it may shock you, I plan on going through the various ASA certifications this spring and summer in preparation for cruising the gulf in the very near future. I know I don't have to (I mean PB didn't for crying out loud) - and I think I would probably get a more thorough education if I crewed with many of the sailors here for a while, but I don't have that kind of time yet. And no one here would let me on their boat. So there's that.

So, personally I'm all about the licensing idea because it will teach me a lot in a shorter period of time. Then maybe I'll crew prior to my big jaunt when I actually know how/when to deploy a drogue and not just use it as a big clothes hamper.

But believe me, those instructors will be praying to get me off their boat by the end of these courses cause I'll continually heckle the hell out of them about sailing with stones. Now that will be fun!

I may hate myself for what I about to say next.

Smack, certifications are not licenses. a ASA cert. is worth the frame you put in. It is just a introduction in to sailing. You take that little bit of knowledge gained in the class and run with it.

If you are ever in New York let me know. I will be happy to take you out on my boat. We will wait for a day it's blowing 30+. I will have you crying for your mama, but you will be perfectly safe. The reason I know this, is I hold a 100 USCG Masters of Oceans licenses. In order get that license I had to sit for a 8 hour test and prove 5 years of sea time. Also. I spent 10 years of my life delivering boats up and down the east coast and islands and teaching sailing. I also 40+ years sailing experience.

So if you get to New York let me know. It should be great fun fun for the both of us.
Old 10-31-2008

jwms is on a distinguished road
In the US, would mandatory licensing increase or decrease the number of Coast Guard boardings?
Old 10-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
There are people, like me, who want nothing more than that the government just do it's damn job and stay the hell out of my life. It's getting worse everyday and it's pretty sad that there are so many lemmings who not only will jump over the cliff, but are happy about it.
lol

That's what I said!

Our government has a very limited job - that is defense of this country and those things therein related.

They have GIVEN themselves MANY JOBS more than they should have.

They have taken money from people they feel "make too much money" to give to those "less fortunate".

Hell, even where I live locally in Colorado Springs, CO I have been visited by the police BECAUSE I HAD SOME WEEDS GROWING IN MY YARD in the past. No, not the kind you smoke... just weeds. This is a bloody DESERT and all kinds of strange things blow in from everywhere. They want to ticket people for having weeds growing along a fence line (of course there was a woman in the neighborhood who goes around making things difficult for others and made the calls to get the cops there....)

Point being... Stay the Hell out of our LIVES. if I let weeds grow up when I don't have time to get to them, TOUGH. Pull them yourself if you don't LIKE them! LOL

moˈloːn laˈbe!

Old 10-31-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
And Gui. Just because it seems to work in your little country. Doesn't mean it will work here.
Ahh nice...

Thanks for the nice remark about the size of my country..we say here, its the quality..not the size that matters...

But...let me retribute the sarcasm...yes..Portugal is small, but these rules apply all over Europe, so consider Portugal as a State in you ENORMOUS country...