Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
That's a damn good idea, Matt. But it would never stand up to the various legal challenges. People would look at it as if you were denying them lifejackets!
Old 10-31-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
What difference does it make? You were saying cars don't count, but you brought up mopeds! LOL

Come on man, pick a spot and stand it so I can hit you with tomatoes.

Seriously, Boats is Boats. That is the number of boats in this country according to some good stats I found.

I suggest you do some more looking.

Your alias here is "CruisingDad"... that lets me assume you've got kiddies with you.

Do they operate the boat at all? Do they know how? Have you taught them to take over if something happens to you other adults on the boat?

Are they competent? Do you think they are? Can the become competent?

Can you see where I am going with this. if they are under 18 yrs old in this country they are considered minors (unless you're a Liberal and guns are involved then they can be as old as 29 for statistics... figure that one out).

If they are minors under 16 (15 in some states) they can't even get a learners permit to drive a car. If they are 13 do you think they could be considered competent to drive a boat (Any boat, sail boat, row boat, power boat)?

If so, then are could they legitimately be competent at the age of 8 or 7 or even 6? If NOT then why should they even BE on a boat?

Let's get serious now. Something happens to you and the other adults on the boat. What do the kids do if they are 9 and don't have a 'boat drivers license' because they couldn't get a "learner's permit" and now they have to ILLEGALLY drive the boat to get you and others to safety?

Will you be fined? will they? and on and on.
Boats is not boats. You would be pretty hard pressed to hurt anyone with a canoe except yourself. I am advocating a tiered test based upon tonnage and motor, etc. It would be a rediculous notion to have soneone ona canoe take the same test as someone on a 65' hatteras.

It is wild out there, especially down the ICW. Ansd what Capt Tonnage has failed to realize because he looks down at all other boats from 300 feet in the air, is that most boats (especially, sorry, motor boats) do not even understand the basic rules of the road. They do not understand piloting. They do not understand lights or markers, etc. Yet, they are driving a killing machine.

In SW Florida, there is a place called the Miserable Mile. Many know it. Driving a boat through there is like Russian ROulette - sooner or later you get run off by a motor boat or or knocked around by his wakes. Cannot tell you how many times it happened to us. That is only one example.

Comparing boating to cars is not fair. Comparing it to planes is fair.

I also dissagree with Captain Tonnage that it has to be some 5 year course at sea for it to be worthwhile. I do thik it can be thorough enough and brief enough to make sense for what 99% of the people do.

And you guys make so much fun of cars and their wrecks and how they are licensed. Now can you imagine being on the road with all those cars if they were not licensed?? Now THAT.. is a scary thought.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Galo View Post
I'll chime in..

I don't think that comparing a drivers license for a motor vehicle and a license for operating a boat are the same. It's been said here... it's about the liablity to yourself and others. Well, to that point. There are hundreds and thousands more chances on a daily basis to injure yourself or others driving a car every single day. I don't think even the busiest waterways are close to the kind of traffic we face on the streets of our major metropolitan areas.

I do however see the point in getting boaters educated on the same level to a degree. I just don't think is should be through a license.

It would make a lot more sense to require one to pass an exam before registering a vessel though.

The idea for this thread came out of another thread dealing with SAR and the fact that any old "Joe" can fire up the EPIRB and everything else that comes along with it. Point being, which no one has really mentioned except Cat in post #7.

In order for someone to purchase and register the EPIRB they should pass an exam and the vessel should be inspected. I don't own one so I'm not really sure what's involved. But, I would imagine that the EPIRB is associated with the vessle that it's on, right?

If you're going to go sailing around the world or big passage making and would need the EPIRB as a last resort to save you if you can't save yourself. Then you should be held to a higher degree than say just sailing around in local waters. i.e. greater level of education, respect, and responsibility to what's involved!
I would be against anything that would discourage people from getting an EPIRB. Makwe taht easy because dumb people might want to do without it and that might be the very thing that saves their life(s)!

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-31-2008
CrazyDream

Matt Galo is on a distinguished road
Sail, you may be right... it's a shame that people could think that.

The "right to" have a lifejacket and "right to" push the button of a machine that brings in SAR are very different.

You've got to pay if you want to play.
Old 10-31-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
No, it's no more scary a thought than if you were trained to drive on the farm by your father. The only assurance you have on the road of safety is the other driver's experience...the license procedure had little enough to do with it.

And the DL is just what you'd end up with when you decided to issue licenses for the boating that 99% do.
Old 10-31-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Dad, When you test do you mean a skills test. I agree!!! Was not to many years ago that the New York mortgage and stock brokers would take their year end bonuses and go to the New York boat show(which opens on Jan.1).

Buy 40, 50 and 60 footers, as long as the check clears they are Captains. the bad economy does have benefit's!!!
Old 10-31-2008
CrazyDream

Matt Galo is on a distinguished road
Cdad, I understand that point..

All I'm saying is that if you want to go sailing you should be able to. If you feel the need to involve SAR to save you then you should have been tested somehow before getting it.

Don't read into what I'm saying. It's about the education.

People have been sailing a lot longer then EPIRBS and Licenses have been around.
Old 10-31-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Yes, education and passing a test... not some piece of paper.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-31-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0NJY View Post
What difference does it make? You were saying cars don't count, but you brought up mopeds! LOL

Your alias here is "CruisingDad"... that lets me assume you've got kiddies with you.

Do they operate the boat at all? Do they know how? Have you taught them to take over if something happens to you other adults on the boat?

Are they competent? Do you think they are? Can the become competent?
My oldest son was on a sailboat at 5 days old and lived aboard there after. He has probably logged more miles on a sailboat than 3/4 of the people on this forum. Though it is under my tutelage, he can sail and they know what to do in an emergency.

All that being said, no matter how great a sailor he is, I would still tell him to get a license to do it - even if he could teach the course. Me too.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-31-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Some of us are licensed

I haven't read this entire thread yet, so I don't know if its already been brought up. In maryland if you were born after 1972 (me thinks) you have to have a "licence" to legally operate a water craft (unless human powered). I know all you oldies are grandfathered in ( ) so it never came up on your radar.

I took the test online and had to pay something like $20 or less. If i get boarded I have to have the paper with me or I can be fined. The test was about 100 question multiple guess, mostly about PWC.