Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I don't think you will have any problem at all, as long as the boat is loaded so that the trailer takes the bulk of the weight leaving only about 500-1000lbs tongue weight on the hitch (you do have a good hitch rated for this load, right?). Have them shift the boat back if it looks like the truck is squatting too much in the stern. I used to make several trips per year from WA to California with a 3/4 ton Dodge and a three axle trailer with a gross weight of 22,000. You should be under 15,000. The key is getting it balanced correctly so it doesn't affect your steering too much. With the three axles with brakes you won't have any trouble stopping, adjust your trailer brake control by testing it before you get on the highway(if electric brakes). Good luck, take it easy, you'll be fine. Good advice above about checking temp on tires and axle hubs. You'll be stopping often for fuel.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Last edited by jrd22; 11-04-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2008

okawbow is on a distinguished road
I've pulled my 8000#sailboat and trailer with a Ford 250 with a diesel engine, from Baltimore to Illinois with no problem. I also trailered it from Florida to Illinois with a F350 5.4L gas engine pickup. I have dual hydraulic brakes on the trailer. The rig stops just fine. Make sure your hitch is rated for 10,000# or more. Also make sure the tow bar and ball are rated that high. An RV dealer can help with the right set-up.
Old 11-04-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I'd bet the boat will weight a lot more than 7500 lbs. Water is 8 lbs/gal & gas is about 5 lb / gal. Plus anything else that is on the boat adds up.

I towed a 10,000 lb rig all over Michigan & Ontario with a 3/4 ton van. Make sure you have a hitch rated for the full load, make sure you do not have too much tongue weight nor too little and DO NOT use a weight distribution hitch with surge brakes! I almost had a major wreck with that setup.

Leave yourself plenty of room & don't be in a hurry.
Old 11-04-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Is this F250 rated for a class 4 tow hitch or higher, perhaps class 5 considering the weight you are towing? Does Ont.or Ill. have any laws pertaining to vehicle towing limits? It takes a fair amount of truck to tow the load you have specified and it should be rated for such or risk a fine and invalidated insurance coverage if in an accident. A long wheelbase (136"+)would also be helpful. Be sure you are legal.
Old 11-08-2008

Nazdrowie is on a distinguished road
Looks like you're good to go. I did a huge trip from Vancouver, BC to Oakville, Ontario about 15 years ago...tandem trailer with electric brakes set with the braking system on the vehicle (Full size Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8) Stopped about every 10 minutes for about an hour out of Vancouver just to check the wheels, hubs, and re-securing all gear in place for the long haul. All went extremely well right across the country. Took 5 days of continuous travelling, sleeping on board and the scenery was fantastic.
So, Enjoy...you'll never regret or disappoint yourself! We're still with "Nazdrowie" after all these years.
Domer.
Old 11-08-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
If you decide against towing the boat yourself, craigslist always has guys with big dually trucks offering tow services in the "Boats" section.
Old 11-09-2008
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all your help guys.
I brought it home Friday from chicago with narry a whimper out of truck or trailer. 350miles with the f250. I have whole new respect for the ford badge. And the homebuilt tri-axle trailer was effortless to pull. Took 3 tries with the travelift , but we got the tongue weight just right.
made for a long day though.4 wide load permits later.... it's a big relief to get her home safe.
Old 11-10-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Well done!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-19-2008

Nazdrowie is on a distinguished road
New you could do it...have fun with her!
Domer