Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Canvas Recommendation

I will be adding a winter cover this fall and am looking for referrals, experiences and opinions. I am local to Chesapeake Bay, but will consider mail-order. The boat to be covered is a J/28. I don't pull the mast every year, but would like the option to use the cover without the support of the mast/boom. Finally, the boat is Awlgripped, which I am led to believe prohibits the use of a full cover (down to the waterline)...is this correct?

If you make a referral, I'd prefer if you've had DIRECT experience with the company, within the last couple of years. All recommendations and opinions on type, fabric options, etc, etc...bring em on.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Since the boat is awlgripped, the cover can't rest on the painted parts of the boat or the paint will likely blister... If it extends down to the painted area...it has to have some sort of system to keep a space between it and the painted surface that doesn't involve stuff resting on the painted surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-04-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We've been happy with our cover from Canvas Creations in Annapolis. But it is only intended for use with the rig up. I'm glad of that actually, because I would not want to have to store the frame/support system for a free standing cover.

Ours can be used in or out of the water. It is highly tailored to the boat -- has little pockets for antennae/running lights/anchor flukes/etc. Tight, snug fit. It breaks down into four pieces, which makes carrying it more manageable.

The cover was brand new, never used, when we bought the boat. But the former owner was the one who dealt with Canvas Creations so I have no comment about working with them. Their product is quite good, though.

As for use with Awlgripped hulls: I don't have an answer. My understanding was that the incompatibility was with shrink-wrap rather than synthetic covers, but check with Awlgrip.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-04-2008

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Dog and John: thanks for your information.

I think I talked to Canvas Creations at the Annapolis show; I'll have to go back to my notes, but I seem to remember their covers seemed well put together. What material is your cover? Canvas?
Old 11-04-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason3317 View Post
What material is your cover? Canvas?
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what the name of the material is. Like I said, I wasn't involved in spec-ing it -- I'm just the beneficiary.

I would not call it canvas. I think it is a laminate of some kind. The exterior is similar to a heavy, glossy sunbrella-like material, but the interior is coated with a white vinyl-like material. It is very heavy-duty, waterproof, and abrasion resistant (unlike sunbrella).

P.S. I just took a look at Canvas Creation's website, hoping to find the material name. Funny, but they don't seem to mention boat covers anywhere on their website...?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-04-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Jason, I"m not sure if you've chosen your cover or not, but if you're at Jabins in Annapolis take a look at my winter cover.Our boat is Calypso-a blue hull Dickerson, on the hard next to a red hull Sabre, also named Calypso! Annapolis Yacht Canvas made it several years ago. Dan and Donna are great and located at Annapolis Landing on Edgewood Rd. The cover is wonderful.... it has vents sewn in-which allow good ventilation, which is a very good thing. They paid attention to detail-an old boat with lots of add ons-fits nice on land or in the water, we have an awlgrip hull-its in three pieces and pretty easy to put on. I did not want the lines that go under the hull because I couldn't imagine fitting that on the boat, by myself while the boat is in the water. I'm amazed at the number of people that shrink wrap their boats every season rather than having a good cover made. We have a 37 foot boat and I can manage the three pieces myself. It does a great job of keeping the boat clean and dry through the winter.

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.