Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Long Island Sound to Delaware - This weekend

We'll make the final decision on Friday before we leave, but based upon weather forecasts for Friday night/Sat/Sun/Mon, leaving Branford, CT, going east around Montauk and then direct to the Delaware Bay looks good. Weather forecasts look very stable all up and down the eastern seaboard with winds of 10-20 and seas of 2-5ft the whole way. This is from Florida all the way to Georges Bank. I'm thinking the risk is fairly low, but I'd love some additional opinions... I'd rather go this route than traverse the East River/New York Harbor/New Jersey Coast at night. Thoughts?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 11-05-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
FWIW,

When we made the trip down last year, we tied up at the Liberty Marina fuel docks around 2am and left at 6 and no one questioned or charged us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 11-05-2008
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
Good on you. I missed the chance to help friends move their S2 9.2 from Cayuga Lake NY to the Choptank R. in MD as I was out of vacation and I have always since regretted that I just didn't take unpaid leave.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 11-06-2008

Cruiserwannabe will become famous soon enough
Labatt, your like a kid before christmas get some sleep already !
I was hoping to get a chance to bump into you sometime up on the lake..We come up once a year for a week and rent one of the rent a wrecks out of Chipman Point,I actually think I was inline behind you 2 years ago August at the fuel dock in Willsboro Bay, anyway just wanted to wish you and your family the best and we all will be watching and waiting for updates..remember you have lots of helping hands and friends along the way dont be affraid to shout out ! New Hampshire here but I dont think your routes going to bring you by this year anyway happy sailing.
Old 11-06-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
We'll make the final decision on Friday before we leave, but based upon weather forecasts for Friday night/Sat/Sun/Mon, leaving Branford, CT, going east around Montauk and then direct to the Delaware Bay looks good. Weather forecasts look very stable all up and down the eastern seaboard with winds of 10-20 and seas of 2-5ft the whole way. This is from Florida all the way to Georges Bank. I'm thinking the risk is fairly low, but I'd love some additional opinions... I'd rather go this route than traverse the East River/New York Harbor/New Jersey Coast at night. Thoughts?
Labatt,

So, I gather you are following the rhumb line from Montauk to Cap May? The weather window sounds pretty decent. Properly equipped, you'd likely be fine.

Did you end-up buying/renting the liferaft and EPIRB? If not, what is your plan for fire or flooding? Do you have an easily deployable dinghy, and some other emergency comm device like a handheld VHF/GPS/DSC unit? Survival suits?

I once made a +/- six hundred mile off shore trip without any of that stuff. It was nerve wracking. Yours is a much shorter hop -- but it's a notoriously nasty patch of water this time of year.

Two years ago, this very same coming weekend, we were out sailing on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake when an unforecast low developped off the Delmarva peninsula. We went to bed one night with no significant weather to speak of in the forecast and woke to a near gale on the Bay. Out over the Atlantic it was a full storm.

Make sure you've got the right equipment, and watch the weather carefully.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-06-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chris,
Looking at the weather I think you'll be just fine. Might be a bit bumpy early Friday and wind on your nose on Saturday, but beyond that it should be a fine trip. If by some chance you decide to go into Longport at Ocean City beware R2 was way off station a couple of weeks ago. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-06-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Thanks John and Tom! Equipment wise, we don't have the liferaft. What I DO have is: 1 EPIRB w/GPS, 1 PLB, SSB, Fixed VHF, (2) Handheld VHF, Chartplotter, Portable GPS (Garmin Oregon 400C), SPOT, lots of SOLAS handheld, parachute and 25mm flares, holing kit, jacklines/harnesses/tethers, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. The liferaft won't be bought and installed until we get to Annapolis. I have an Avon 280HP pressure floor inflatable. It will be stored on the foredeck, is lightweight and can be easily launched. It won't hold 5 guys very well, but it's what I have.

Tom - I agree - 4 to 6 feet on Friday night to Saturday, but the winds aren't too bad. Saturday the winds are forecast to pick up a little which is probably a good thing... We need to hightail it out of CT to make it through the Race and around Montauk at ebb, but outside of that it should be a fun trip. Hopefully no suprise lows...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 11-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Since you don't have a liferaft, it might be nice to get some survival suits aboard...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-06-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Chris - The weather looks absolutely fine and I see nothing in the files that look like a problem over the next 4 days. Make sure your rain gear is ready and stay warm when the small cold front moves across on late Saturday or so. Have a great trip and if the projected SE moves quickly through the SE to the W and then NW as predicted, you'll be in good shape. Do watch the Delaware Bay, if it's blowing out of the NW against the current it can be no fun at all esp. if it's cold. Enjoy the ride!

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 11-06-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

When do you expect to reach Annapolis?

It looks like we'll be pulling in on Monday pm for a night. We'll probably be in a slip at ego alley (City Dock). Look me up and I'll buy you a round, in exchange for hearing all about your voyage.

Safe trip.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT