Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008

VASailor10 is on a distinguished road
Mississippi Sailing

I went sailing yesterday for the first time since I left Virginia to come to Ole Miss. The University maintains 4 Escape 12', which is basically a wide kayak with a centerboard and a windsurfer like mainsail. We have Sardis Lake down here which is about 30 miles long and 3 wide.

The winds were about 12 knots gusting to 15-20, and there were swells almost capping. We had some trouble getting out into wind as we had to hand unfurl the sail while bobbing around on the swells with 1 165 pound man (me) and 1 200 pound man! As soon as we got it unfurled and with the assistance of a canoe paddle to push us in the right direction, we took of, I mean really took off instantly to 6 to 8 knots and we did a bunch of long tacks.

However on one tack the rudder came off! I knew this was gonna happen as we had some trouble installing it before we embarked (some crappy springloaded locking contraption). I tried to install it instantly while having Chris hold the boom, but then a gust spun us around and the weight distribution with us on one side capsized us.

We tried to raise the boat by climbing on it but the sail was completely underwater as Chris had fallen on it when he fell overboard. We were picked up by one of the other boats after being in tepid water for 10 mins. I felt we could have stayed longer but I didnt want to risk it as it was 65 degrees outside and the water was probably slightly less.

Eventually two of our guys who are extrodinaries in sea kayaks took it apart and towed it in. Regardess it was great again feeling the sensation of God's wind pulling me along, and the weather helm in the rudder, as I miss sailing more than anything in the world!

-Spencer
Old 11-10-2008

woodshole is on a distinguished road
Just got back from the Ole Miss v. Auburn game. What a great school in an awesome town. The grove is a great place to tailgate and the women arent to shabby either! Throw in some sailing and it sounds like a great time for you. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook