I'd rather be sailing
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The state of s/v/ Pelican
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Yeah... the forecasters aren't always right :)
We left Branford yesterday at 3pm. Based on the forecasts being a bit wishy-washy (one minute they forecast 2-4ft waves, then 3-5, then back to 2-4, winds 10-15, then 15-20, then gusts to 25, etc.) we decided to take the inside route. I'm seriously glad we did! We grabbed a random mooring off of City Island at around 11:30 last night, and left for Hell Gate at 5:45 this morning. We cruised through hell gate with over a 5kt current with us (we reached 12kts over ground). We were flying! We reached New York Harbor with a fog enveloping us - no more than a quarter mile of visibility, if that. Once we reached Sandy Hook we found that the forecasters had the wave height wrong. Winds were 15-20 with gusts, but the seas were not 3-5. I know seas always look bigger when you are on your boat, but there is no way they were 3-5. Buoy reports show them at 5, but there were times when I was standing on the deck and I lost boats ahead of us. That would put waveheights above 8ft with a VERY short period. I wish I had some video. Anyway, due to the difficult conditions and that one of our crew was violently seasick, we decided to stop at Manasquan. We're going to continue our trek tomorrow morning, and I'll let you know how far we get.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me