Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2002
JeffH

Chesapeake Bay Labor day Raft

In case you missed it, five days hense, there will be a gathering of the fleet at Grays Inn Creek off of the Chester River, which in and of itself is located off of the Chesapeake Bay.

All (with drafts less than 8''-0" or so) are invited to said raft up. The guests of honor, King and Queen of the fleet, so to speak, will be none other than globe trotting Kate and Chuck Munson, seen here and on other fine Bulletin Boards, along with their near famous floating domicile.

I too will be there but don''t let that keep you from coming. The rendezvous will occur on the evening of Saturday August 31. Those of us that care to, or with nothing better to do, will monitor VHF channel 8 on the hour and half hour. In the words of our forefathers, "Be-ith there, or Be-ith square!"

Til then, Good breezes and a quick and accurate satellite acquisition.
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2002

Mclion71 is on a distinguished road

Jeff:
How long will the raft-up continue? I plan on spending next week on the Bay, but won''t get to the Chester until Monday earliest.
Jim McCoy
Old 08-27-2002
JeffH

I''m not sure how long the raft up will last. There are people coming in from a pretty wide area and so I expect there some of them will be there for most of the weekend and others will be sailing on to the next anchorage.

Jeff
Old 08-27-2002
JeffH

Here are some directions to find the raft up to occur in Greys Inn Creek off of the Chester River. This is a lovely creek that almost never has much traffic on it. If you head up Greys Inn Creek there is a small spit of land that extends out into the Creek opposite to where the creek splits at Herrington Creek. I am suggesting that we anchor on the outside of this spot where the creek splits, as there is generally a better breeze and fewer insects on the outside.

I too have learned that Greys Inn Creek is also the destination of the Magothy River Sailing Assn''s Memorial Day Cruise. They typically anchor on the inside behind this point. Behind the point is a more confined area and I would be concerned about having enough room to anchor the two fleets. There should be plenty of room for us to anchor on the outside of the point along the west shore.

I typically prefer to anchor to the west side of the creek, near a small slew that enters the creek 150 yards or so south of the point. Although I''ve never been in to the Marina, there is a small marina that has ice, gas and some supplies on Herrington Creek.

To enter Greys Inn Creek, leave can 1 to port. You''ll see a pier on the western bank of the creek that extends out into the creek. Stay on a line between Can 1 and a point approximately 70 yards off of the end of this dock. When the dock draws abeam, just aim down the center of the Creek. You should see 12 feet of water, or so, most of the way in with a hump near the dock of 8 feet or so.

My suggested plan is to get up there on Saturday afternoon. I am certainly open to any suggestions that others may wish to make. I look forward to see all that make the trip.

Regards

Jeff