Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Let me say first that I am a big fan of BoatUS for their efforts on behalf of all boaters but I agree there is something hinky about their feelings for Tartan/C&C. I and another surveyor up here in Toronto belong to BoatUS Technical Exchange which is a "forum / archive" for surveyors and others in the industry to post specific issues with specific boats. When we make such a post, BoatUS contacts the mfg. for a response which is published along with the complaint.

On several occasions my friend and I have notified BoatUS about issues (other than broken tubes and delaminated hulls )with these boats and none were published and in fact BoatUS declared surprise that we had found issues with these boats (a curious response).

I have seen one T34 up here in the Great White North with a cracked thruster tube which when removed by the repair tech came out way too easy. The hull directly under the thruster tube was less than 1/2" thick and the tube itself was only 4mm thick. This factory installed tube was held in place with wads of chopped filler which could be peeled from the hull interior. Externally there was no FRP on the tube/hull joint just filler (which was soft).

I will no longer survey these boats as the liability is just too much and there is no way of absolutely determing their structural condition without destructive testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
When we make such a post, BoatUS contacts the mfg. for a response which is published along with the complaint.

On several occasions my friend and I have notified BoatUS about issues (other than broken tubes and delaminated hulls )with these boats and none were published and in fact BoatUS declared surprise that we had found issues with these boats (a curious response).
poker
Please clarify, you are talking about Tartan boats you have reported problems with to Boat US and they don't report these problems like they usually would with other issues from other manufacturers???
Old 12-30-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Let me say first that I am a big fan of BoatUS for their efforts on behalf of all boaters but I agree there is something hinky about their feelings for Tartan/C&C. I and another surveyor up here in Toronto belong to BoatUS Technical Exchange which is a "forum / archive" for surveyors and others in the industry to post specific issues with specific boats. When we make such a post, BoatUS contacts the mfg. for a response which is published along with the complaint.

I have seen one T34 up here in the Great White North with a cracked thruster tube which when removed by the repair tech came out way too easy. The hull directly under the thruster tube was less than 1/2" thick and the tube itself was only 4mm thick. This factory installed tube was held in place with wads of chopped filler which could be peeled from the hull interior. Externally there was no FRP on the tube/hull joint just filler (which was soft).

I will no longer survey these boats as the liability is just too much and there is no way of absolutely determing their structural condition without destructive testing.
I assume you are refering to a 3400 and not a T34 which is a totally different animal. (Just from the same zoo. )
Old 12-30-2008

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Courtney, My apologies I did mean a Tartan 3400 and used T34 as an abreviation.

Yes Xort you have read it correctly

Dirt people scare me.
Old 12-30-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
That is a pretty serious issue for Boat US. They are apparently hiding reported issues with Tartan boats. Issues reported by professionals.
Old 12-31-2008

sbradfor is on a distinguished road
New info

I certainly wouldn't want to utter the "T" word but has anyone seen the January 2009 issue of BoatUS magazine. They have a full article about what happened, when, and who was holding the smoking gun! Based on that article, I don't see where "T" word has anything to be ashamed of. I was on their 53' model at the Annapolis show and I'll buy it as soon as the lottery check comes in. BTW, is it true that you have to buy a ticket to win?

Steve
Irwin 34 "Dulcimer"
Danville, VA
Old 12-31-2008

Steve
You haven't been here long so you haven't seen "The rest of the story". I suggest you take a look around for more information. Would you be enamored with that new boat if the hull started splitting? And Tartan wouldn't pay for the rapairs?
Boat US published a one sided PR piece.
Old 12-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Steve—

You might want to re-think getting a new Tartan. Some very recent Tartan owners have had serious problems with their boats, and have had to resort to legal suits against Novis/jackett/Ross/Tartan in order to get any relief.

These issues were the subject of a previous thread on Sailnet, which was removed when Tartan/Jackett/Ross/Novis threatened to sue sailnet if the thread was not removed.

Please also be aware that Jackett et al. have used the tactic of an asset only sale to dodge warranty liabilities in the past, and were attempting to engineer an asset-only sale of the present company earlier this year, meaning that the 15-year warranty that the Tartan and C&C boats come with would be largely meaningless.

It is also telling that Tartan/Novis/Jackett/Ross are being sued by many of their OEM vendors as well as the law firm that previously represented them in their suits by many companies.

Are you sure you want to be spending upwards of near half-a-million dollars with people with this kind of track record?? I know I wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradfor View Post
I certainly wouldn't want to utter the "T" word but has anyone seen the January 2009 issue of BoatUS magazine. They have a full article about what happened, when, and who was holding the smoking gun! Based on that article, I don't see where "T" word has anything to be ashamed of. I was on their 53' model at the Annapolis show and I'll buy it as soon as the lottery check comes in. BTW, is it true that you have to buy a ticket to win?

Steve
Irwin 34 "Dulcimer"
Danville, VA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 12-31-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Steve...there is a separate thread here on the BUS article. BTW...is Dulcimer a fairly new purchase? I know a guy named Lance that sold one...same boat?
Old 01-04-2009

mtsail is on a distinguished road
Tartan 3700 - For the Record

I just read the Boat US article on the cracked Tartan hull and want to put in my 10 cents worth. I live in Montana and own a 3700 (2005 #102) and keep her in the water year round in the Pacific NW. When I heard about the 3700 hull cracking on the internet last spring, I contacted Tim Jackett directly and he responded within the hour and instructed me on how to have my hull inspected through my dealer for any issues relating to the same area. Close up hi resolution photographs were taken also and sent to Tartan for their inspection and everyone concurred everything looked in order and we have not had any problems since. I also have the original equipment SD 50 saildrive on the boat which is in excellent condition after 3 1/2 years of use. I change the zincs every 6 to 7 months and generally have about 75% remaining when I change them. (I am mentioning the SD50 because of all the bad press I have heard on that one too.) My wife and I love the boat and use it typically at least once a month year round. All the systems are working great and the few issues we have had have been corrected by the Seattle dealer under warranty by Novis. There have been a few fit and finish issues which I think should have been caught prior to delivery but all in all its a wonderful boat and she sails beautifully. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by mtsail; 01-04-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.