Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
You go John!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Until we can comment, we won't. We hope to be able to give you some direction on this by tomorrow afternoon, but the matter is out of our hands.

Do not expect or ask for any more of a response until then. You won't get one from any of us.

- CD
Well this is apparent shake down of Sail net. I will sue you if you do not remove the thread. I am a big one for freedom of speech.
Where do I send my check to sailnet defense fund?
Old 11-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CD—

Why would you pull a thread that had raised very important and valid issues about the integrity of two very well respected sailboat marques, C&C and Tartan, as well as the integrity of the people and companies involved with those brands. The lawsuits are a matter of open legal public record. The problems with some of the newer epoxy-resin hulls is also pretty well known and publicly acknowledged through the marine press. Also, the company's efforts to sell just the assets and remove warranty liability from the new company is pretty slimy IMHO.

Why would Sailnet buckle to any pressure from Tartan/C&C to remove the thread?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-17-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
JP- I agree there was a LOT of useful info in that old thread. There was also a lot of speculation, some justified some maybe not. My guess is there was a threat of a aw suit and now sailnet attorneys are looking it over to determine risk. That basically means if there is ANY risk the attorneys will recommend that thread not come back, or if it does it will be heavily edited. Just my $.02...
Old 11-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
"if" the BIG thread that I am recalling being around is the one being disCUSSed, then yes, there was posters that were probably a little to far over the line to some degree in what they said, ie SN or the poster could get sued for inflammatory type comments.

There where a few folks that wanted to see the demise of Novus because of said words, others like myself, saw some issues, hoped they fixed them, and continued building boats using cutting edge techniques. When one does this, yes, there could be some issues.......back peddling etc in the how you go about things. so any way, enough of my politicing, I usually try to some degree to stay out of that type of thread........so why am I here too?!?!?!?!?!

Marty
Old 11-17-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
WHAT!?

You are kidding me! Please tell me this is not true.

That thread was chock full of useful information for anyone considering a new Tartan.

Moderators, care to comment?

John...like I said before.., I think THAT it what happened..BUT..I am not sure...I am speculating. But I hope it's not..

And to be honest, I don't really think the mods even know about it either.

All I figured was on my own...but I am sure Tartan may have forced them to remove it...the tone on the thread went weird..

hence my jokes about the MAfia...got it?
Old 11-17-2008

ajf10 is on a distinguished road
It is rather ironic that the thread which disappeared contained a lot of hotly contested debate about whether tartan quality had dropped, and whether the company was acting in a stand up fashion to honor warranty problems or whether they were trying to avoid responsibility to owners of boats which had failures. As I recall, there were many posters against but a vocal minority "for tartan." The fact that Tartan appears to have taken legal action against sailnet to suppress open discussion by a sailors community about the integrity of the company seems to support the argument of those who argued that Tartan is a company to be avoided, no?
Old 11-17-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
hence my jokes about the MAfia...got it?
Yes, I got the joke.

Well I am going to avoid commenting further until the mods can give us some insight. At this point none of us really knows anything -- we're all just speculating.

I'll only add that I found that deleted thread to be very useful for culling through the (mis)information, and my overall impression was that it gave Tartan a fair shake. Which may be more than can be said about this and other threads that will ensue in its absence.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-17-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf10 View Post
It is rather ironic that the thread which disappeared contained a lot of hotly contested debate about whether tartan quality had dropped, and whether the company was acting in a stand up fashion to honor warranty problems or whether they were trying to avoid responsibility to owners of boats which had failures. As I recall, there were many posters against but a vocal minority "for tartan." The fact that Tartan appears to have taken legal action against sailnet to suppress open discussion by a sailors community about the integrity of the company seems to support the argument of those who argued that Tartan is a company to be avoided, no?
AJ..I didn't say they did..I said, I think that is what happened..but also said I may be speculating...

None of the mods responds to me about this issue, so I don't know...

I see no reason other than outside pressure, for a site to remove a thread, warning people on a product, that was started with the aim of informing.

I am sad it ahppened, as I did see on of their boats and how it was finished, done and dealt by Tartan (or lack of therof)..

So please let's not assume that it was that that happen, BUT that is what I think...and think only

I'll wait to see.

But damn..if that is true..expect me to bad mouth them left and right...yes I will...
Old 11-17-2008
An Aussie Sailor

Mipcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
AJ..I didn't say they did..I said, I think that is what happened..but also said I may be speculating...

None of the mods responds to me about this issue, so I don't know...

I see no reason other than outside pressure, for a site to remove a thread, warning people on a product, that was started with the aim of informing.

I am sad it ahppened, as I did see on of their boats and how it was finished, done and dealt by Tartan (or lack of therof)..

So please let's not assume that it was that that happen, BUT that is what I think...and think only

I'll wait to see.

But damn..if that is true..expect me to bad mouth them left and right...yes I will...

Well I am very new to this particular forum site but if what has been suggested is true then that is a great pity. I carefully read the stickies about correct forum behaviour, how to treat newbies, keeping the tone of the forum etc, etc. Then to hear of a subject allegedly being censored, is that not 'selling out' all the forumites?.. Is not a forum supposed to be a place for free speech, discussion and exchange of information?? Very sad.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Mychael