Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008

MarkSchu is on a distinguished road
Tartan / C&C issues

Hello all- I am obviously new to the forum so be kind. I have just come back to sailing after finally getting my family interested. As of yet I only charter boats, but as most of you can understand, I have boat fever almost continuously. Although I was only interested in a coastal cruiser like a beneteau or catalina since I wasn't going to be doing much open water cruising, a friend has me gotten me interested in perfomance boats, and after some research I really like C&C 99 or 110....unfortunately, I have been reading about some hull failures here and at other internet sites. My question from you more experienced folks is: how bad is this problem? Would I be better off buying a boat 1-2 years old to make sure it doesn't have the problem?

Thanks for your help...and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Are you crazy????

Don't you know you can't say the T word?? or the C word????

Are you really willing to "disappear"???

Vito Corleone will come after you....PLEASE..PLEASE...don't mention hull failure and T ot C word in the same sentence....you'll be shot down like a dog....
Old 11-12-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I would think that you would be better buying a 3-4 year old boat so that there is a better chance that problems with the laminate would begin to show to a very competent marine surveyor.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Are you crazy????

Don't you know you can't say the T word?? or the C word????

Are you really willing to "disappear"???

Vito Corleone will come after you....PLEASE..PLEASE...don't mention hull failure and T ot C word in the same sentence....you'll be shot down like a dog....
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-12-2008

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I would think that you would be better buying a 3-4 year old boat so that there is a better chance that problems with the laminate would begin to show to a very competent marine surveyor.

Jeff
Jeff - I guess from reading the giulietta's response I hit a nerve. I have done lots of searches on this and other forums. I cannot tell if this issue is an isolated event with a very vocal minority or a real significant issue. That was the basis of my question to you oldsters on the board. Again, I apologize if this issue has been discussed to death previously...I am just trying to get the straight scoop.
Old 11-12-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
From what I have been able to observe, your first thought is the most likely. I think the issues have involved a handful of boats and are isolated incidents. However, I would not purchase a new Tartan or C&C. I say that because of the financial issues the company appears to be facing rather than a because of a quality problem.
Just my $ .02
Old 11-12-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Mark...we had a pretty good thread here, about that..that thread disappeared mysteriously. I have reasons to suspect why, but I am just me...and it's not Sailnet's fault.

THERE ARE ISSUES with newer boats and delamination. That is all I am saying.

I saw real boats with real issues, not photos on a web page.

If it was me...I'd buy another boat, or and old T or C, before the year 1999.

Sorry can't say more....I see Tom Hagen coming down the road in a black Packard..gotta go...

Last edited by Giulietta; 11-12-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The 110's were made of typical glass until about 02. Some of the Tartans were also made of glass from 99 to about 02-03 that were made by the current ownership fof T&C. For me any how, boats made from about 05 or there abouts on in epoxy, I would worry to a point re the delam issues, and one that I know of with a gray deck instead of the bright white that it should be, due to more than likely a color mix issue at the factory, with that owner getting a number of different and funky reasons as to why it is gray, not white.

The 99's and 115's were all made of epoxy, not sure about the 121's, then you are not asking about them.

Other wise, to a degree, it will be buyer beware, as Novus has tried to sell the T&C lines assets to another buyer, they backed out. Leaving owners with out a warrenty, along with leaving the debts to the old company etc.

I also believe that if you really search, the BIG thread in the buyer area is still there.

Marty
Old 11-12-2008

Thanks to all. I did find the big thread but really couldn't make out how bad the situation was...thanks for the input and again, I apologize for asking this old somewhat redundant question. It is sad that brand with an otherwise seaworthy history seems to be in such trouble.
Old 11-12-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Actually Mark,

If C&C any how does go BK, it would NOT be the first time, the original owners BK'd twice, first time due to a fire?!?! next due to other issues, that is when Novus bought the name etc, and started up within the Tartan group. This is the short 1-2 sentence history, I am sure if you really wanted the history, there is probably a web page with it, maybe eve in Wikapedia.

marty