Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Initially we loaded her bow forward but the weight distribution didn't suit the trucker so we reloaded her stern forward.

I had prepped the boat not knowing how she would be loaded but having seen it done both ways. Everything was off the deck, all hatches were fully secured and all vents were sealed. The only change I had to make was to remove the bow pulpit as a precaution as it was at 13' and the limit was 13' 6'. We felt that was too close for comfort. It took another 30 minutes to remove and stow the pulpit.

She came across the country from La Conner WA to Oriental NC in 6 days and without a mark or opened seam.

Regards, John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Here's mine. This is my first sailboat. She is a '73 C&C 25 Mk1.
I just had her pulled two weeks ago to do some work before spring. If I get some nice days I plan to clean the hull and deck and start doing little things that need attention. I dropped the sails off that came with the boat to have them checked out and to help me identify what I actually have. I got five bags of sails with the boat but I'm not sure what is there and their condition except the main sail that I I just removed.

Here's a link to shots of the boat when I first went to look at her back in November.

Good Ship Lolipop photo - Don Haller photos at pbase.com
Attached Thumbnails
Picture of Your Boat on the Hard-stardust.jpg  
Old 01-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don—

Just a warning—if she's not on concrete when you put her up on the hard, you probably should have the blocks supporting the keel on a very thick plywood plate, and the boat stands on plywood as well. I've seen some pretty ugly things happen when the ground got saturated and the stands started to sink into it... dominoes with sailboats... not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhaller View Post
Here's mine. This is my first sailboat. She is a '73 C&C 25 Mk1.
I just had her pulled two weeks ago to do some work before spring. If I get some nice days I plan to clean the hull and deck and start doing little things that need attention. I dropped the sails off that came with the boat to have them checked out and to help me identify what I actually have. I got five bags of sails with the boat but I'm not sure what is there and their condition except the main sail that I I just removed.

Here's a link to shots of the boat when I first went to look at her back in November.

Good Ship Lolipop photo - Don Haller photos at pbase.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-02-2009

plimsoll is on a distinguished road
large boat needs a large crane
Attached Thumbnails
Picture of Your Boat on the Hard-01.jpg   Picture of Your Boat on the Hard-p1010009.jpg   Picture of Your Boat on the Hard-100-ar-jubilee-047.jpg  

Old 01-02-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Don—

Just a warning—if she's not on concrete when you put her up on the hard, you probably should have the blocks supporting the keel on a very thick plywood plate, and the boat stands on plywood as well. I've seen some pretty ugly things happen when the ground got saturated and the stands started to sink into it... dominoes with sailboats... not good.
'dog,
I'll see if I can get that addressed soon. It's hard to see in the photo, but they did manage to stick a small block of wood under the keel to give some support and there are some scaps of ply under the stands. I was planning on going down there today anyway if the weather cooperates and I'll see if they do that for me.
Thanks for the good suggestion
Don
Old 01-02-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
This view shows the appearance of our hull after 3 years and 8 months since the last bottom paint.

Our only home has been a 1973 Morgan OI since november of 1973.

Ready to launch and back to seasonal latitude cruising.

'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 01-02-2009

Danjcon is on a distinguished road
Great thread.

Here is our boat. 1971 Seafarer 31 Yawl. Lots to do, but at least no blisters!

Old 01-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the ground gets and stays wet for a while...little scraps aren't going to cut it... The biggest problem will be getting the support under the keel blocks...putting them under the boat stands is relatively straightforward and you could do it yourself... putting them under the keel blocks requires lifting the boat... not a DIY type project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhaller View Post
'dog,
I'll see if I can get that addressed soon. It's hard to see in the photo, but they did manage to stick a small block of wood under the keel to give some support and there are some scaps of ply under the stands. I was planning on going down there today anyway if the weather cooperates and I'll see if they do that for me.
Thanks for the good suggestion
Don

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-02-2009
Telstar 28

Dan—

Highly recommend getting some plywood bases for your boatstands and the keel blocks... DAMHIK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjcon View Post
Great thread.

Here is our boat. 1971 Seafarer 31 Yawl. Lots to do, but at least no blisters!

Telstar 28
New England

Old 01-02-2009
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road
This was taken in spring 07 a few weeks after we bought her. Just before the mast was stepped
Attached Thumbnails
Picture of Your Boat on the Hard-serenity-now-005.jpg