Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Sailing on Vacation (& Questions)

PART 1:
So there I was last weekend...sitting on a beach in Puerto Vallarta, just 500 yards from the marina entrance...watching sailboats come and go. ALL. DAY. LONG. The yearning to sail was overwhelming, and they just kept teasing me...every day. All day. I would watch one hoist their main, another fly their chute...meanwhile, I'm green with envy. How will I ever vacation on a beach again without this longing to sail? Have any of you had this experience?
Here I am, trying to pretend I'm sailing, instead of floating in a pathetic, child's inner tube I bought at the grocery store there:

PART 2:
Down the beach was a Hobie16, with gay rainbow striped sails...taunting me...winds were a perfect 15kts. The guy tells me that I don't have to trim the main (which I promptly ignored)...I rented that thing for 2 hours, just to get a fix. THE MOST FUN of the whole vacation! I had no idea how FAST those boats are...passed a 50ft boat (I admit a little too closely, on purpose) like nothing. SD, hate to say this, but have a new respect for the multi. Anyone know how fast a Hobie16 sails?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
I believe a Hobie 16 sails very fast if my memory serves me right
Old 11-18-2008

farmboy is on a distinguished road
Cat's are a blast

SailChick,

The 16's are a blast. I sailed on one regularly for 2 summers. The owner and I are both big guys, so we could keep the boat very flat in a lot of wind (we were harnessed on the trapeze). I don't know if you've ever flown a hull while clipped on and leaning way out over the water, but it is amazing. In answer to your "how fast?" question, I don't know. But at times I would look to the road at the edge of the lake where there is a 25 mph speed limit, and I would think we were getting close to keeping up.

Without trying to kill your buzz, I would caution that the 16's are somewhat unpredictable. One of the problems with them is that the bow's are not very buoyant. I was hurt quite seriously when we pitchpoled sailing dead downwind in a squall. Don't get me wrong, I think the boat could have been sailed safely that day, but we were in way over our heads. I don't have a lot of cat experience, but I think there are other great beach cats worth a look.

SD gets a lot of good-natured flak about the multihull thing, but I see the appeal. There is a cat sailing school near where I will be moving to next spring, and I'm seriously thinking about taking a few lessons. There may be a beach cat in my future.
Shark24 #337
Old 11-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
I don't know if you've ever flown a hull while clipped on and leaning way out over the water, but it is amazing. .
The funny part is...the smallest boat I've sailed is a J/24 when I took lessons...then bought mine, which is 30ft..so small boat sailing is a completely new concept. While it was TONS of fun, I'll stick with mine...and staying dry (well, most of the time at least)!

Although, this made we want to buy a Laser (or similar) to mess around with when I visit my parents at their cottage on a lake in MI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 11-18-2008

seaweed88 is on a distinguished road
A well tuned Hobie 16 in a 10 knot wind will sail at over 12 knots on a beam reach. A Hobie will not point as high as a mono hull and they are kinda pigs on a run.
Old 11-18-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
How fast was the inner tube? Can you rent those? I bet the inner tube could pass Alex.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 11-18-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
SailChick - I don't how many more ways I can tell you this. The answer is no. I'm NOT going to "crew" for you on your inner tube for a "fun-filled adventure" in PV. I know you keep promising the "separate quarters" thing but c'mon...it's a freakin' inner tube. So please - no more "Crew Wanted" PMs.
Old 11-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
SailChick - I don't how many more ways I can tell you this. The answer is no. I'm NOT going to "crew" for you on your inner tube for a "fun-filled adventure" in PV. I know you keep promising the "separate quarters" thing but c'mon...it's a freakin' inner tube. So please - no more "Crew Wanted" PMs.
Awww, come on...it even has a heavy @ss keel to keep you safe from broaching. Separate quarters only available at onset of adventure...don't forget that. I'll try and leave you alone...but that is one long journey to take alone in this tube...lol

~ Cadet Maxim
Old 11-18-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I'm not sure which one of us is supposed to have the "heavy ass keel" - but I might be feeling a little insluted here (thought that was an interesting typo, so had to leave it). Anyway, I already have something really hot lined up in Turkey. PM Sway - he's a great conversationalist. (Biiiiiiiiiiig eye roll).
Old 11-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailchick-

You know you want to sell that leadmine of yours and come over to the dark side...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.