Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
"My battery bank was providing 33-36 hrs of juice (loving the Link 20) before needing a recharge"

How big a bank & what were you driving with it?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
That's Cam's boat but it's an HC 33 not a 41. Sounds like a typo.
Uh huh! sure it's a typo. Sounds like he inflated his size a bit to impress the Grand Poobah ;-) The only time you don't inflate your size is when rolling into the Cabo marina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
"My battery bank was providing 33-36 hrs of juice (loving the Link 20) before needing a recharge"

How big a bank & what were you driving with it?
Xort - Six 6-volts at 690ah. I was running the DC fridge unit, water pump, E120 chartplotter, 4kw radar (at night), autopilot (hydraulic), running lights (LED's), cabin lights, VHF, stereo, ipod radio device via the 12 volt cig lighter, 2000w prosine inverter and an occasional recharge of the sat phone or handheld VHF. probably some other miscellaneous draw like the confort pump in the shower. engine is cranked on a separate battery and is only tied to the alternator via the Balmar Digital Duo Charge.
Old 11-21-2008
SF Bay sailor

buslog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to buslog
Baja Ha-Ha

Vito,

Glad you had a good Ha-Ha. I did the trip in '06 (lucky 13) on Bronco (Morgan 41 OI), and again in '07 aboard Meridian (Tayana 48). Both were very good sails and good times. I was the only crew member aboard Meridian with the Powers family: wife, husband, two kids (girls 6 and 8). That boat continued on and is now in Tonga, but I flew back from Cabo. Wish I could have stayed aboard.

If you are looking for crew either for another Ha-Ha or other situation please let me know. I am ASA bareboat certified, have completed USCG Aux Adv. Coastal Nav, and own a Hunter 340 at South Beach Harbor in SF (next to the Giants ball park). I am a volunteer skipper for a non-profit org on SF Bay as well. Safety is of prime importance to me, followed by enjoying the boat and those aboard.

I'm 59 but feel 35, am a good sailor (20 years), and get along well with people. Let's get in touch.

Good sailing and fair winds,

John Harold
Old 11-21-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

John - How did the 6 and 8 year olds do during that trip? My son and daughter will be that age next year, but I thought that might be too young. Of course, sailing with a chute only during the day and possibly just the Asymmetrical would probably make the trip a lot more appealing for kids. i worry that they'd get bored, though, and start asking, "Daddy, are we there yet!"

Btw, PM me with your contact info. I will keep it on record for any trips we plan. PacCup is a possibility in 2010. A good friend of mine is also thinking of doing the Transpac. We have 4 crew thus far (including the '04 single-handed Transpac winner).
Old 11-23-2008
SF Bay sailor

buslog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to buslog
Sailing with kids

Thanks for responding. The kids aboard Meridian are home schooled and they did just great. Parents were worried that the kids would miss their friends but since sailing is such an adventure the kids did very well.

The boat has plenty of DVDs and games onboard. I gave them a couple of nautical toys, like a knot tying game, but they really didn't need many things. Yes, there was some occasional nagging but probably nowhere near as much as you'd get at home. Get on the SSB or VHF to locate other kid boats underway and in anchorages - it works great. You'd be surprised at how many kids cruise and play dates, beach parties, and games are very kid friendly activities.

Meridian was on it's maiden cruise when I was aboard. Go here to view Meridian's link: sailmeridian.com
(You'll see me in the photo gallery at the bottom of that page.)

As a reference, here is an excerpt from an email sent by the Meridian family:

"Again, John, thanks for making the trip. Your presence made our passage safer, and more enjoyable, and I really appreciate the effort and sacrifice on your part to help with Meridian's maiden voyage".

Anyway, I'm certainly up for either of the 2010 Pacs, or perhaps other compass points. You can reach me at (831) 461-1180.

Fair winds,

John
Old 11-25-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Vitesse, ya didn't happen to see a Hans Christian 33 named Seahorse in that group did ya? If so, tell Cam to call me.
CharlieCobra - Ran across this photo of SeaHorse on Flickr. Looks like they were on the Ha Ha afterall.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/...8525def5_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/...a0576afa_m.jpg
Old 11-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Cool, I'm still waiting to hear from Cam and he hasn't updated the blog yet. Must be too laid back down there to care at the moment.