Searching for Wisdom... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: Would you sail from the Keys to Newport News Va in Dec-Jan?
Oh Yeah...winter-schminter... 10 43.48%
Um...no and you are crazy for thinking it.... 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 11-19-2008
Telstar 28

Me thinks Cam is confusing Newport News with Newport...

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 11-19-2008
moderate?

Oooops! Cut that back to 30 days!! ...and forget the offshore to NJ!!

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #13 of 27 Old 11-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Sounds like the reeeeally long route to Newport News.

You might think about the Cape of Good Hope. Either that or transit through the Panama Canal. What I'd do is see which is the more direct route, and take that. The St. Lawrence Seaway is going to be a cold sail as well. Mabye Lake Powell? I don't know. I feel like I"m just guessing now. Hope I've been helpful.

Ain't ya glad you asked?!
post #14 of 27 Old 11-19-2008
Wind and pie move my boat.

I'm the last person that should be giving this advice as I was in a similiar situation last Oct. - Dec. & it wouldn't have made any difference if the boat had a hole in it the size of a Buick Electra I would have untied the lines & raised the sails . If you do go ahead & attempt the trip my advice would be to leave family home & try to get 2 willing crew guys to help you gut it out & let weather be the critical mass issue for all decisions . Feel free to ask me to help you sail her. I understand . And thank you for your service . You're short timing it there . Keep your head down .
post #15 of 27 Old 11-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
I'm the last person that should be giving this advice as I was in a similiar situation last Oct. - Dec. & it wouldn't have made any difference if the boat had a hole in it the size of a Buick Electra I would have untied the lines & raised the sails . If you do go ahead & attempt the trip my advice would be to leave family home & try to get 2 willing crew guys to help you gut it out & let weather be the critical mass issue for all decisions . Feel free to ask me to help you sail her. I understand . And thank you for your service . You're short timing it there . Keep your head down .
I'd second that advice. I might be able to lend a hand for a couple hundred miles from Georgia to Charleston.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-19-2008
Aspiring Boat Bum

What about the ICW

Does the boat have a good, reliable engine. You might want to try going up the Intra Coastal Waterway. Still cold and windy if a front blows through but will be protected. If you see a good break in the weather you can always go offshore for a bit. Just make sure you have an option to get back inside if the wind pipes up.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-19-2008

Sounds like an ICW trip all the way. Don't forget that the ICW is a daytrip only and the days are very short that time of year.
How long has the boat sat before you bought it? often a boat for sale will have sat for a year or more. That leads to lots of system failures. Especially think about the fuel that has sat in the tank for a while. It will be dirty and once you get going that gunk will get stirred up and into your filters. Have the fuel polished at the least and carry a lot of filters. Do you know how to bleed the fuel system?
This can be done but you are really, really pushing the envelope. What is your plan if the boat does break down and you don't have time to finish the trip? You must be prepared with alternates.

Remember, the most dangerous thing aboard a boat is a schedule.

And, get unlimited towing from Boat US.

Best of luck with whatever you do.
post #18 of 27 Old 11-19-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

I'd probably go ICW as well. Think of it as a shake down cruise. Something's going to break...always does on an unfamiliar boat.

“Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.”
Wm. F. Buckley, Jr.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-23-2008 Thread Starter

I finally made it home.... woohoo...Fellas, Thanks SO much for the great advice. You all are the greatest. I think the ICW is the way to go and shooting out in the event of good weather. I would much prefer to wait till spring, It would make the trip a thousand times more enjoyable, however I will be in training all spring preparing for our next deployment, and I will not get that much time all at once to do the move.

The boat has sat only about 3 months before I bought it. The previous owner lived aboard the boat with his father till he was 18, then went to college. His father passed away 2 years ago and he moved back aboard and lived there till about 3 months before I bought it. I have pictures of the boat underway from July 08. The Isuzu Diesel was rebuilt about a year ago. My wife, while I was deployed, went down and looked at her. Hers being the final "Yes I will live on that" or "no way find another one." Although she is not as nautically inclined as I am, she has a great eye for things that don't look right and she was satisfied that this would be a great home. I know that is different from being seaworthy, but I also know her. If there was anything majorly screwey going on, she would have known. When my leave starts, we will head down there and start the pre-underway checks, make final runs to boaters world and the like to get extra fuel filters and last minute doodads and take her out for a day sail to make sure that everything is going to work before we push off for the trip. That final go-round will be the deciding factor. Again thanks for all the help...
post #20 of 27 Old 11-23-2008
Telstar 28

Good luck... and keep us posted.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.