Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Would you sail from the Keys to Newport News Va in Dec-Jan?
Oh Yeah...winter-schminter... 10 43.48%
Um...no and you are crazy for thinking it.... 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008
never convicted

KODAD is on a distinguished road
Welcome home!---You guys over there really make us proud---Good luck!

100T Master NC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2008

tojaso is on a distinguished road
Thank you all so much...
Old 11-24-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Is this the green Colvin made with (if I recall) Corten steel that was on Yachtworld for a long time?

Nice looking boat, but not a beginner's vessel. The complexities of the gaff rig, the semi-unknown state of the engine, the fuel in the tanks, the gunk in the tanks, the state of the running rigging (was the boat unmasted or have those lines been static in the Florida sun for two years), the state of the sails, etc.

All unknown, or "under" known, maybe.

The trip is a big enough task to complete at this time of the year, but the inspection and the test sail(s) to determine what's rotten or finished or needs attention are going to take an unknown amount of time.

If it were me, I would arrange storage on land in Florida, but I would spend my time off sailing it in Florida (where the winter weather will still break things, but at least it's warmer.)

Because I think to take a boat that maybe saw many underused and underserviced seasons (owned by an old man, right?) no matter what its inherent other qualities (and they may be many) into winter weather of that ambition is not a sound idea.

Many little old ladies own rust-free 1988 Chrysler New Yorkers that they drive 1,500 miles a year to and from the cat clinic and the bingo. Manny down at the garage probably gets fifty bucks for checking their tire pressure, doing an oil change and cleaning their battery posts.

You are proposing taking that little old lady's car from the bingo parking lot directly into a trans-Mojave Desert road rally.
Old 11-24-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojaso View Post
I think the ICW is the way to go and shooting out in the event of good weather. I would much prefer to wait till spring, It would make the trip a thousand ti
Tojaso,

Glad you're home safely. Thanks for your service.

I really want to urge you to stay within the ICW if the boat proves ready and you undertake this trip. During the winter season, regardless of the forecast, it would be unwise to "shoot out in the event of good weather." Conditions can change very rapidly during winter, and even in the very best of conditions the water can be dangerously cold if anyone ends up overboard.

Transitting the ICW in an unfamiliar boat will be challenge enough at this time of year. Don't press your luck outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-29-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Tojaso,

I'm sure you're focussed on getting ready for the trip. But if you have time, it would be worth your while to read the attached accident report/article. Many of the circumstances are similar to your plans (e.g., new boat, bad time of year, outside short-cuts, etc) -- so read this as a cautionary tale and learn from their mistakes:

BoatUS.com - Seaworthy Magazine

P.S. Thanks to Btrayfors, whose recent mention of the Morning Dew in another thread reminded me that I had intended to post this ink here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-13-2009

tojaso is on a distinguished road
Update

I want to thank you all for your advice. It really has helped and I have heeded...sorta..HA

We went down to the Keys and I saw the boat for the first time. I stood there like a 10 year old boy that snuck into the strip club. She is beautiful!!! Needs some love, but beautiful! We had some overheating issues with the engine that I only discovered by doubling the lines to the pier and and engaging the transmission and letting it run under a load for a while. Combining that with the funky weather this time of year, we decided to spend the holidays there on the boat, going through it with a fine tooth comb and correcting everything that we can find. She is pretty much ready to go. I need to work on the ground tackle a bit and replace the jib, which I have, just need to hang, and I would be comfortable taking her home.

We are thinking that this spring (April-ish) will be better weather and warmer for a trip up the coast.
Old 01-14-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Good plan...thanks for the update!