SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Searching for Wisdom... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/49072-searching-wisdom.html)

tojaso 11-19-2008 10:35 AM

Searching for Wisdom...

Hello all, I don't think that I have ever posted before, though I read the site religiously. My Wife, Daughter and myself have recently purchased a 42' Colvin steel hull Gaff Rig Ketch to liveaboard. That is the good news. The bad news is that is in the Keys and we have to go sail her up to Newport News in late Dec- Jan time frame. I am in the Navy Riverines and am writing this post from an Iraq airport waiting to come home from a 7 month deployment on the rivers in Iraq. I will only have so much time, and this is the only time that I am alloted to take that much leave to move it. So, there it is. A cold trip up the coast and there is no getting out of it. I am looking at this along the lines of a delivery. Though it is my own delivery...

Though not a total newbie, I am well aware that I don't know everything. So, I am looking for hints, if you would be so kind, from the old salts on the site. I have spent a great deal of time thinking and planning. Studying charts and making lists and pre-underway check sheets for the trip up the east coast. I was trying to find out if there was a forest that I was missing while searching through the trees. The best way to do that is to ask the experts. Any advice you would offer is well received and much appreciated.

Brgds,
Tojaso

Perithead 11-19-2008 11:46 AM

Tojaso,

First off, thank you for your service!

Sounds like you have an exciting leave coming up.

If you want some people to come along, you may want give some more information. Things like the condition of the boat, is it ready for this kind of trip? Have you seen it? Do you REALLY know if it is ready?

When you say you know you dont know everything, does this mean you need someone who really knows how to sail or do you just need a couple of hands to help you with the delivery?

Best of luck finding some help!

sailingdog 11-19-2008 12:16 PM

Tojaso-

Did you get the boat surveyed??? How is she equipped??? Also, how much leave time do you have, since sailing on a fixed schedule is generally a good way to get screwed??

Boasun 11-19-2008 12:30 PM

The main thing is what is the weather forecasted? And have charts for any ports that you may want to duck into, in order to wait out the weather.

I would plan the trip and strongly take the weather predictions into consideration. It one thing to learn how your boat handles, and another to learn about it in foul weather.
But the main thing is to enjoy your trip north on your new boat.

Was brown water Navy in VN. IUWG-1 1st trip and MinDiv-113 the 2nd trip.

lbdavis 11-19-2008 01:25 PM

You can always drop the sticks and jump in the ditch.

travler37 11-19-2008 01:25 PM

Have actually trucked a few of your boats around.Or should i say realy cool toys:D AlAsade\Heditha
No advice but if you need a deckhand and i am still home will be more than happy to help.Hoping to get back to the litterbox mid-december but drop me a e-mail.Could possibly still be here.

Fair Winds
Mark

camaraderie 11-19-2008 01:29 PM

Tojaso...welcome to the light. I voted no given the extreme cold, snow and ice at that time of year plus the issues of breakdowns on a new to you boat that you will face in a 1500 mile+ journey.
There have been FOUR sailboats rescued off the coast in the last 10 days and the weather is WAY better now than it will be when you plan to go.
If you DO decide to go for it anyway...I suggest you stay in the ICW all the way to mitigate the weather and give yourself someplace to duck in each nite. You will HAVE to go offshore along the Jersey Coast...but there are 3 usable inlets there before you get to NYC.
I would estimate 45 days for the trip at that time of year.
Good luck in any case and your service is most appreciated.

sailhog 11-19-2008 01:40 PM

Tojaso,
Currently off the coast of Georgia and South Carolina it is 49F, and the wind is out of the NNW. In December and January it will likely be a good bit colder. Can you wait until spring? The sun will feel good, and you'll have lots of days with southwesterly winds.

Good luck to you, Cap'n!

bubb2 11-19-2008 01:46 PM

Tojaso Welcome, That said, If you are hell bent on doing this then you are NUTS. I have made about 100 deliveries up and down the east coast and I would not. Elephants march at this time of year in gulf stream. Think Nor'easter. You have a rig that does not go to weather all that well. Leave the wife and child behind.

bljones 11-19-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie (Post 404523)
You will HAVE to go offshore along the Jersey Coast...but there are 3 usable inlets there before you get to NYC.
I would estimate 45 days for the trip at that time of year.
Good luck in any case and your service is most appreciated.

Sounds like the reeeeally long route to Newport News.